Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just wondering if anyone has put 2005 Sportster muffler on a 'wing. I have the chance for a pair of brand-new never used set for $30. See the pics.

They have the "L" ends for a crossover. I know wings are suppoosed to have a crossover, so I was wondering if anyone had done this yet. I'm wondering if it will clear the stand. I'm OK paying a muffler shop to make a "s" pipe on each side to the muffler, and making a crossover, just wondering if it's been done yet. Lile to see pics if it has....

Thx !!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

William_86 wrote:
it has been done many times. im still waiting somebody to post a video for the sound.
Has it been done with the newer HD mufflers w/crossover? I searched and read all the posts I could find on the board, but all seemed to be done with the older sportster mufflers w/o crossover.

Well, for $30, I think I'm gonna 'wing it !!! (pun intended) It's a winter project so I will not get at it anytime soon. I will post pics and upload a video w/sound to youtube when I do.

Thx - Mark

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
imported post

mdbauer1962, let me know how that goes. I was thinking of doing the same thing. If you run into another good buy like that on some HD mufflers give me a shout. My mufflers are getting fairly noisey and was looking to put some new ones on. Good Luck with the project. I think it will work just fine. Randy

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
imported post

Hey, HD sporty muffs are quite popular... not sureabout the cross overs though. Most I've seen eliminate the cross over, as it supposedly makes no significant differance on the 1000's and 1100's. sporty muffs have comparable back pressure, so no carb work (re-jetting) is required. I've he3ard guys even punching out the baffles with no ill effects on the carbs.
Hockeydad, I can't say anything for sure 'bout the 1200's!

Todd

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

I think with the sporty mufflers you will have a noticable level of noise increase. That is fine if you want it. I know several guys have gone with the dresser mufflers and those come very close to stock noise levels.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

I installed a pair of sporster mufflers on my wing. I used the non cross over version and then built a crossover pipe in front of the mufflers.

If you use this set you'll have to cap off the crossover on the mufflers as they will be pointed directly at the tire.

This is the second bike I've put these mufflers on with fairly good results. The first time was on a Yamaha XJ650. They worked really well on that bike and were not much louder than stock.

On the wing they are fairly loud and I found that tiring. I also couldn't get the exhaust balanced and the right side was louder and seemed to flow more exhaust ( this is with a crossover pipe installed.) The bike ran fairly well but as I wasn't happy with the noise I welded on about a 5" extension to the end of each muffler that lowered the final outlet diameter down to about 1 1/8". The end result was that this changed the back pressure and evened out the exhaust so that if flows fairly even from both sides. Bike runs really well with this set up. I haven't had to adjust the jets but I'm thinking of going up one size.

Some things you will have to do with this type of installation. 1.Weld tabs onto the rear frame to mount the new mufflers. With crossover pipe they move too far back and won't mount into existing location. Without crossover you might be able to make it work in existing location. 2. Weld a stopper onto the centre stand itself so that you don't have to worry about it hitting the muffler.

Take your time and dry fit everything several times before you start cutting & welding.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,787 Posts
imported post

Buy them you will like them! I installed those same mufflers on my 76. With crossover. I love them. The sound is a nice throaty rumble at idle and moderate acceleration including highway cruising. not at all uncomfortable when cruising. However when I get on it at full throttle in the lower gears they really scream but that is the only time. There are no tuning problems what so ever. If you need pictures I will post them for you. With instructions of how I installed mine. All of the guys who attend the Saunders Labor Day Un-rally in Eureka Springs have heard them with positive opinions. Tom

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Tom-I would very much appreciate pictures so I can see what you did, and show them to the muffler shop when I have the connectors and crossover tube fabricated. I would also like to see how you mounted/hung them. Thx !! If you want to email them, pm me and I will give you my email.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.