Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2006 GL 1800 with 124,000 miles, twice now I’ve arrived at a destination, turned the bike off and a few minutes or hour later I go to leave and it won’t start. I turn on the key, the lights come on, I press the ignition switch and there’s nothing. The headlights dim when I push the ignition but no sounds nothing. I try many times to no avail and then the next day, it starts no problem and gives me no indication there is a problem. The other day I called a tow truck because after hours of trying to start it it was useless, as I was rolling it to wench it on the flat bed I said, let me try it once more, it started right up. I’d hit that starter a dozen times and it just randomly started hours after I turned it off. can anyone offer a suggestion?

·
Administrator
26,163 Posts
Is it in neutral & the neutral light on when this happens & did you try pulling in the clutch? Not much to go on. Try tightening the battery connections. The headlights going of has nothing to do with starting except the button you push.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
My 2006 Gold Wing died on me just as I was pulling into the garage a while back. The fans had just kicked on. Cleaned and tightened up the battery connections and no more problems. Possible the battery is on its last leg. Check alternator out put.
gumbyred

·
Registered
506 Posts
Agreed, check the battery cables first, remove them, clean them up, and reinstall.

The next time it won't start, give the starter a whack with something, a hammer if you have one (put one on the bike now), and see if it will start then.

The 968 (a car) had a common problem called "GSS - gummy starter syndrome), where the car would start and run great, then when parked for a short while, the starter would "heat soak" because it was very close to the exhaust, and if it was dirty or worn enough it would not turn again until the car cooled down sufficiently. I wonder if the GL1800 has a similar condition?

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New development. this morning It started right up but when I put it in reverse, it moved a few inches but wouldn’t fully engage or work. Surely the problem is either the starter or the starter relays

·
Administrator
26,163 Posts
The starting and reverse systems are pretty much the same thing. Whatever is wrong with the starting is also wrong with reverse. Start by checking the battery and connections. Don't just go throwing parts at it.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I replaced the battery 4 days ago, the problems started after I replaced the bat. I also keep my bikes on a trickle charger.

·
Administrator
26,163 Posts
I replaced the battery 4 days ago, the problems started after I replaced the bat. I also keep my bikes on a trickle charger.
Sounds like a clue to me. CHECK THE BATTERY CONNECTIONS.

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
You should have included this comment in your original post...!. ;)

If it is not the battery cable connections, try the following:

When starting the engine, press very lightly on the starter button (not pressing it all the way inward).

You could possibly have a faulty starter switch.

Just another thought........!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts