Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am having trouble with my rear brakes on the front rotor on the left side ofthe front tire of my 2006 GL1800. I can hear them rubbing when driving when I am not using the brakes. When I use my rear brakes I can feel them surge. (like the brakes rapidly grab and release). I noticed this problem at about 18000 miles and put new pads on when I changed my tires before a 7000 mile trip this summer. I did not feel or hear a problem with the brakes until a little over half way on my trip.I started to feelthe brakes surge again at slow speeds during stopping. When I got home, with the help of a more mechanically inclined friend, we took the brakes apart again and the inside brake pad was wore down to nothingwhile the outside brake pad was like new.We replace these pads again with EBC HH brake pads. (after only 7000 miles). All of the pistons seemed to work fine,we cleaned everything we could without taking everything apart and pulling the pistons out.I took the bike out for a test ride and can hear the brakes dragging and they continue to surge while stopping. (the surging does not seem tostart until under 10 mph while applying the rear brakes). I can spin the tire when it is on the center stand and hear the brakes dragging. It does not appear that the rotor is warped when I visually checkit whileit isspinning, but I am not ruling that out.

This is the firsttech questionI have posted on this web site and I am excited to get advice. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, mm426

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

It's a floating caliper and yours is not floating, check the caliper mounts and clean and lube the parts that should slide.

Sorry that I can't be of more help but I'm not familiar enough with the 1800 to give precise directions.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum. I don't pretend to think I know as much as Ken says he does. But I'm pretty sure you mispelled Minot.:action:

You may have both problems, since the "pulsation" is still there. You may need to check runout on the rotor with a gauge. It's possible the heat from a dragging pad has warped it enough to cause your "sensation".

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
imported post

Just curious do you have centramatic balancers installed? Could be a clearance problem that others have pointed out where the balancers force the wheel too far to one side.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

glhonda wrote:
I don't pretend to think I know as much as Ken says he does. But I'm pretty sure you mispelled Minot.:action:
It's time we had this out face to navel.:D
Bear in mind that I'm a 140# weakling and I'll remember that the docs recently cracked you open like a lobster.
Lunch on me afterwards.

BTW: It's misspelled.:readit:

And glhonda is correct that the rotor may have warped from the heat:shock: but the first order business is to get the caliper floating again.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

Miss who? How can you mispell misspell?

But just so we don't steal the thread, and since my clutch lever was acting up on me yesterday, it might be a good idea to make sure the brake pedal fully returns, and isn't holding pressure on the system.

Remember, I belong to F.E.B.A. (People Who Can't Spell)

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

glhonda wrote:
But just so we don't steal the thread, and since my clutch lever was acting up on me yesterday, it might be a good idea to make sure the brake pedal fully returns, and isn't holding pressure on the system.
That's not something to over look of course but I would think that in that case the front and back pads would wear together and the wear would be pretty much even on all the pads controlled by the pedal.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks glhonda I didn't even notice my misspelling. I apparently have some fingers that are faster than the others. I will change that on my profile.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.