Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Not that this is a big problem( its just nice to have the bike workproperly)but what would cause the headlights to start staying on when using the reverse mode? My bike just started doing this last week while getting it ready for spring. I have only owned the bike for one year and I know for a fact that last riding season they would go out when going in reverse. The radio still cuts out like it should in rev. Is there a relay that is bad and if so what is its name. I've located the relays under the seat but not sure which one works with the reverse mode. They are all properly seated in the base block. Thanks for any suggestions

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,691 Posts
imported post

I agree, my 1500 always turned the headlight off when in reverse. simply because the starter switch does that.

·
Administrator
26,169 Posts
imported post

That's odd since the same switch kills the radio and the lights and if the relay were stuck the headlights would be on even with the key switch off. coincidently I just modified mine so it doesn't kill the lights in reverse and they don't come on until the engine starts.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

It is a normal function for the low beam headlights to stay lit while in reverse operation with the 1800.

You were just dreaming. :)

In start mode it cuts the power at start to conserve the battery and provide full voltage to the plugs.

In reverse it is already running, and not a concern and was so designed.

Kit

·
Administrator
26,169 Posts
imported post

My headlights would go out in reverse until I modified it and according to the wiring diagram it is supposed to.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Well it is a bit cold today and I just got in, have not had a drink of anti-freeze yet, do not think I am crazy. :D Must be you see the low beams dim just a tad. If in low they stay on, if on high they divert to low, having the low beam on in reverse is a great way to trouble shoot several things, so I would not wish to modify it, as if the light goes out in reverse mode, it tells me what may be wrong.

All of you are dreaming. :leprechaun::waving: Kit

·
Administrator
26,169 Posts
imported post

Kit, Kit, Kit, the same button used to start the engine also works reverse as I know you know. It is this same switch that cuts out the low beam relay and the low beams do go out when you reverse. I know it does for 2 reasons, 1 about the only time I use reverse is backing out of the storage room where I keep my bike, the lights shine on the opposite end of the room and go out when I back up. 2, I just got through studying how to make the lights not come on until the engine starts and I can say I know how it works.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Kit and Dave I believe both of you are correct in your responce tpost so fight o my nice.Like Dave, I to have seen the headlights go out when backing out of my garage as well. In the 06 manual it does say that the headlights will go out when going in reverse. As for Kits reply saying the lights should stay on, the manual for an 05 wing in the lighting troubleshooting section notes that....the high beem will turn off when in reverse but the low beem will stay illuminated while in reverse. Kit I'm assuming you have an 05 or older model. I've heard that there were somechanges made to the 06 wing that differ from the older models and maybe that was one of them. Again my point for my posting was to find out if its a bad thing to have the lights on while in reverse mode...like is the starter (reverse)motor being deprived of any voltage it requires to run properly while the lights are on when they should be off. My problem is that I'm a very analytical person and when things don't work the way they are designed, I need to know why. It doesn't appear to have anynoticable bad effects going in reverse with the lights on as of yet. Out of curiosity what mod. did some of you do to get the lights to stay on? Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

My reverse light only goes out if I sit on the seat backwards :shock::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:All of you are still dreaming. :cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::(:(

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

who says computers don't make mistakes. The first sentance of the previous post should have read....Dave and Kit, both of your replies are correct so fight nice.

Stupid computers!lol

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

I think it is pure common sense that the headlight should not go out when reversing for purely safety reasons. Picture the scene at 2am in the morning and you miss a turn on a dark country road. Would you really want to be reversing with no visible light to the front. I certainly wouldn't.

I know from reverving my 03 model at night that the dipped headlamp dims noticeably when reversing but it still stays on. I habitually turn off the audio system when in reverse and thankfully no probs so far.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

:waving:Hi Thill.

We are not fussing, just little discussion. David is a great guy and has lots of mechanical knowledge.......heck I am by trade only just a plumber:). If we were in a garage with a couple beers we could talk about it half a day.

The only thing I know is my lights stay on. Mine is a 2008 bike, my friends bikes lights stay on, and one of the things to shortcut trouble with the reverse module is if the bike will not go into reverse and the headlight will not come on in reverse is the simple fact the reverse diode is burned out in the reverse circuit. When you put the bike into reverse it routes the circuit through about 18 functions, so in the past I have simply used the fact that the light is not coming on to shortcut right to the reverse module.

I am just a bit stubborn too............:action::action::action::action:and you all are still dreaming. :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1: Kit

·
Administrator
26,169 Posts
imported post

Well, if I was dreaming it was a vivid one. I know I didn't like it when backing out of the storage carefully through the 4' door and reversing in short bursts seeing the headlights go out and the radio cutting out every time I pushed the button. They don't go out now since my modification. Did I fix it or ruin it?

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Sounds like you fixed it. :) Kit

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,691 Posts
imported post

I rode an 1800 once. Used the reverse on it once.

The light stayed on, was a 2007 model, and it was dark when I did it from a street curb in Prescott, AZ.

I'm dreaming too, cause I wish I had an 1800 to ride right now. :)

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
imported post

Tested yesterday. GL1800 airbag 2008 (Euro)

When start low beams switched, low beamsgo out. Radio go out

When start high beams switched, high beams go out.Radio go out.

When push reverse low beams switched, low beams stay on. Radio go out.

When push reverse high beams switched, high beams go out. Radio go out.

Jari

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Oh great!!!! So like I hadn't got anything better to do!!!!:X:shock::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Well like no doubt, dozens of other 1800 owners on here I just had to go and try it to see!!!:gunhead::D

With my '06 comfort package billet silver the results were the same as Jari just detailed above. ( maybe it is because I have the billet silver, that the lights stay on in reverse.... no that can't be right....Jari has a red one andKit has a Black one!!!:cheeky1::cheeky1:)

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Yep, my lows stay on, the highs go to lows. Went all around the block and the lows stayed on too.:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

I have over 19,000 on this machine and it's the first time reverse has been used, IN THE GARAGE. Always make a point to park on an incline going backward.

It must be up to hundreds by now.:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::action::action::action::action:

I love this site.

Longboater,

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.