Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2007 wing last October, with 45k on it to replace my 1988 Wing with 145k on it. Which replaced my 1984 Wing. This 1800 had a small whine I could barely hear when I got it. Now it seems to be a bit louder or im just more aware of it and its driving me crazy. It's there when idling, and you hear it more if you rev it up. Sometimes at highway speeds you dont hear it at all. Its pretty high pitched. Any one have any ideas on a way to get rid of the whine. ?

·
Administrator
24,994 Posts
Wear ear plugs or turn the radio up. Most 1800s have the gear whine.

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
421 Posts
Alternator whine. Some are louder than others. My 2012 is one of the louder ones.

Honda put in a higher output alternator, I believe in 2006.

You are probably more aware now that you have heard it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So if it is a alternator whine. Has anyone put in a 2002 alternator into a 2007 or newer bike. ? Do the holes and wiring harness line up?

·
Registered
206 Posts
My 2007 GL1800 actually 'whistles' quite loudly. Just do like the others on another forum. Tell everyone, including yourself that it is the turbo charger 'spooling up or down' depending on the speed. I have told that to several people including one of my sons and all have fell for it. You can take the alternator off and try to re install it in a different position. If I recall correctly there are 4 slots on the drive rubber, just move one slot at a time. If you take it off you will see what I mean. Some 'whistle' loud and some are very soft and some don't whistle at all, weird huh??

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
421 Posts
So if it is a alternator whine. Has anyone put in a 2002 alternator into a 2007 or newer bike. ? Do the holes and wiring harness line up?

After 2006, Honda ran the alternator at a higher speed. I doubt that putting an older alternator would stop the whine.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I thought the 1800's were all spline drive set ups?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts