Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello: I seem to have a problem! I am replacing the fork springs with Progressive.....As far as the fork oil goes, the Honda manual says to Compress the tube and add 16.4+/- 0.08 US oz. then measure from the top fluid level is 5.0 in from the top! I poured about 10 oz in and it was about to run over the top:? The fork is straight up in a vice and tube compressed , spring is out. Am I misreading something here??? Thanks for any input

The weather is warming and got the ichies to ride !

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

You have to work the fork tubes up and down a few times to make sure all the air is out of the tubes. Then do not rely on stated volume in the manual. Measure down from the top of the tube 5 in, and withdraw fluid until at that level. With forks fully compressed.

To relieve your worry about the stated volume of 17.9 ounces of fluid in the manual, what they are saying is this is the total fluid volume for the forks, not one side but both sides of the fork and one does hold more than the other, so just measure from the top.

Kit

·
Administrator
26,576 Posts
imported post

When I recently replace my fork oil I measured what I drained out and replaced the same amount, the left one if I remember right held about 16 oz. and the right about 13oz.
I did not measure the level from the top since I removed the right and turned it up side down to drain and just loosened the anti-dive valve on the left fork. Amazing the difference it makes in the ride and handling.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.