Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Recently one of my rear speakers stopped working and just makes crackling noise and one of the fronts does it to occasionally. Took it in to local honda dealer who is the biggest wing dealer in ontario. They said it is the stereo unit itself that is not working properly. They are trying to find a solution, Honda wants $2100 for a replacement stereo/receiver unit. Anyone have any ideas.

Thanks

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum. One word: Sierra.

Sierra repair all Goldwing audio systems, their prices are very reasonable and customer service excellent. One of Sierras men is a member here, his forum name is Wayne. Send him a PM and he will be able to advise if your radio even needs to be repaired (it could be something else wrong) and if as a last resort you need to send your radio in for repair, Wayne will take care of it.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

I'd recheck the stereo before you put out a lot of money, hook up a new speaker directly to the wiring at the stereo head and see if it works. If it does then your rear speaker or wiring is defective.

If it does not work then you may be able to get it repaired through Sierra instead of buying a new one. Or you can get a used one from a bike breaker.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks guys, I have contact Wayne and waiting for his response. I'm not sure how the techs tested the stereo, they did tell me they swapped speakers and still nothing. I wasn't there so what they really did I have no idea, all I know is they did it pretty fast, not sure how long it would take to check the sound system in a wing. All I know is when I remove the seat its like spagetti with so many wires under there.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
imported post

Rear speakers tells me it's a premium audio model. Don't rule out the possibility of the amplifier (mounted behind the licence plate)being part of the problem.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

I don't quite to know what to tell you about your front speaker, but that "crappy" wiring job across the trunk lid hinges is a real problem. Mine has broke 4 wires so far, on the left harness. Did a repair, then re-routed them in a "Y" configuration at center, and fed down behind the seat back lower cushion.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

What I'm finding is a problem with dealer's here in Ontario wanting to find the problem. I have a US goldwing which they don't like because it cuts into there Canadian sales. Question is finding someone to who is willing to take the time and find the problem?? I do my own maintenance on my bikes for years but all this electronics is a bit overwhelming and not even sure what I'm looking for.

Thanks for all who helped

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

get a service manual or ask someone who has one to get you a copy of the wiring diagrams. then you can directly test the audio unit connecting a speaker directly to its output

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

To be more clear, my right speaker was dead, and the culprit was broken wires in the left set of wires at left hinge. Also, the remote didn't work. There's absolutely no excuse for that pi** poor wiring from a big company !!!

BTW the wire at hinge problem is exacerbated by cold weather, just like wires on older tilt steering wheels fail more often in cold country.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

Honda was offering a 'refurb' program where the dealer could order a radio, you bring your bike in, they swap it out and the dealer sends yours back in for refurb. I did one for a customer a few years ago and the cost from the dealer was around $500.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
imported post

If all they did was swap the speakers, then I don't see how they concluded it was the stereo. Could be a loose connection or crimped wire. Rule out the easy stuff before looking at replacing or repairing the stereo.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Welcome silverbird , if your not comfortable with the check outs for your stereo you will have to fork out for someone else to do it . If your good to go i would suspect bad wiring or a connector and you would follow the advise given.
As you say there is a " crackling " noise i would suspect that the outputs from your radio and amp. are still good otherwise you would hear nothing at all.
To help , need to know if problem is only on left or right side.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

silverbird wrote:
Recently one of my rear speakers stopped working and just makes crackling noise and one of the fronts does it to occasionally. Took it in to local honda dealer who is the biggest wing dealer in ontario. They said it is the stereo unit itself that is not working properly. They are trying to find a solution, Honda wants $2100 for a replacement stereo/receiver unit. Anyone have any ideas.

Thanks
[align=center]

[/align]
[align=center]Welcome silverbird[/align]

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Thanks to everyone!! If you are sitting on the bike, its the rear right. I have found a local shop who will help me out towards the fall when business slows right down so they can take the time and do a proper search for the problem. Myself I can do the basics but don't also want start taking the bike apart since riding in Canada is already limited enough to have bike in pieces. I'm thinking too there is a loose connection or broken wire still making some kind of contact that is why it makes a constant crackling noise.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum.

This is probably totally different situation, but my right front started sounding like it was blown (it had a vibration/crackling noise coming from it). I pulled the grille off of it and found that the secondary cone worked its way loose from the rest of the speaker. I glued it back on and it works great. If the shop you took the bike to only attached another speaker to the bike to test the radio, it really depends on where they connected the speaker. If they just took out the original and attached their test speaker to the wiring, it's very likely that the wiring is bad and not the radio. You say that it only took them a short amount of time so I would venture to say that this is what they did. It's very rare to see just one channel go bad in a radio. Usually when a radio goes bad in one channel the others are right behind it. I would start with the wires and connectors that get moved and bent more often such as the back ones shown in the pic above. I would use a multimeter or test light to check for contenuity and also make sure that the plugs are securely connected. Like JackfromCT said, simple things first before you start throwing too much money at it.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

UPDATE: Finally took the bike end to have it checked out at a different shop, now being the end of season around here, they took the time to look for the problem. After a couple hours they found the problem, the amplifier was toast. This explains the reason the rear speaker didn't work and major crackling in the front speakers. This problem started after a 8 hour ride in heavy rain. Guess somehow water got in the connection possibly causing a short. Still not a cheap fix but a third of what the first shop had told me and the stereo unit wasn't even the problem. Guess that's why everyone has such little trust in mechanics sometimes. Stereo works great again, clear and crisp. Thanks all who helped

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

About the 2100 dollar sterio.

I have ridgid table saw from HD. its about a 4 or 5 hundred dollar saw. A replacement motor for it list's at about 650 dollars. go figure
wilf

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.