Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2008 Goldwing will crank but won't start. This is driving me crazy. Started the bike three weeks ago and it was fine, then I went out to start it for a ride but the engine cranked fine but it wouldn't start. First I thought it was a fuel pump but after changing the pump, and still no start, I went through every fuse and checked every relay. I even swapped the 20A F/I Ignition relay with the 20A Horn Trunk relay. Finally found out there was no spark on any of the plugs.I can't figure out why the plugs not sparking.

·
Administrator
27,758 Posts
All six of them possibly bad?
There are 3 but not likely all bad. Check if you are getting power into & out of the Fi/ign relay, black wire in,black/white control & black/yellow wire out red/white ground from the bank angle sensor.

Reactions: gringgo

·
Registered
105 Posts
Make sure your battery is strong enough to spin the engine and trigger the ecu to run the fuel pump and ignition. This is a pretty common problem where the battery has enough strength to turn the engine but drops to weak to trigger the ecu.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,491 Posts
Make sure your battery is strong enough to spin the engine and trigger the ecu to run the fuel pump and ignition. This is a pretty common problem where the battery has enough strength to turn the engine but drops to weak to trigger the ecu.
on my 1800, at 11.5 volts on battery, it will just BARELY crank and start.

at 10.5 volts, it won't even engage the starter.

I keep mine on a Battery Tender, click! Varroom!

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
My 2008 Goldwing will crank but won't start. This is driving me crazy. Started the bike three weeks ago and it was fine, then I went out to start it for a ride but the engine cranked fine but it wouldn't start. First I thought it was a fuel pump but after changing the pump, and still no start, I went through every fuse and checked every relay. I even swapped the 20A F/I Ignition relay with the 20A Horn Trunk relay. Finally found out there was no spark on any of the plugs.I can't figure out why the plugs not sparking.
Crank it for more than 10 seconds continuously with it in neutral and the sidestand down, and maybe it will flash the FI light to tell us what the ECM thinks is wrong. Long flashes=10, short flashes =1.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all your help guys. I just heard the sweetest sound in my garage I ever heard. That 2008 Goldwing just fired up and I wanted to cry :). I definitely didnt want to cut it off. The problem with no spark at the plugs was a part located behind the timing chain cover. II dont know the name of the part but two or three light taps did it....I plan on replacing the part when I find out the name of it. Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Pulse generator?

Rayjoe

·
Administrator
27,758 Posts
Thanks for all your help guys. I just heard the sweetest sound in my garage I ever heard. That 2008 Goldwing just fired up and I wanted to cry :). I definitely didnt want to cut it off. The problem with no spark at the plugs was a part located behind the timing chain cover. II dont know the name of the part but two or three light taps did it....I plan on replacing the part when I find out the name of it. Thanks for all your help.
It's called a crankshaft position sensor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts