Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Anyone have any ideas on why my grips wont heat up? I have checked all fuses and the plug under the dash panel. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

i can tell you that it has to be below i think its 54 deg. before they will work. now, my grips and seat quit working last spring and it was 28 deg. but then they started working again once i turned the bike off and then back on after about 15 min. the dealer said they couldn't find anything wrong but i have two more years of warranty so they said if it does it again they will replace them.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
imported post

it aint been cold enuff in marmaduke for them to work yet, Bruce:ROFL:

I'm glad to see you on here, now when are we going ridin'

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Hey there, me and Tammy are always ready. Come by sometime. We live next door to the school.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
imported post

Bruce Wallace wrote:
Anyone have any ideas on why my grips wont heat up? I have checked all fuses and the plug under the dash panel. Thanks
Not sure what year your bike is - mine is a 2006, the first year for the OEM factory heated seats and grips - and I think the most trouble prone.

My impression is that as model years go by, Honda have managed to improve this system somewhat,

I had a ton of problems with them - and so did many others. I spent hours trying to troubleshoot following thd Honda service manual with no success even though I changed one grip and the control module that seemed maybe suspicious.

Eventually I read an internal Honda document that seemed to acknowledge that there could be a problem with the mulitipin connector to the control module situated behind the left saddlebag (the one I had changed because there was no way to test it other than by replacement).

The Honda internal dpcument went on to say that it could be necessary to change the main wiring harness to resolve the problem.

At that point I gave up!

From tests I had done, I knew that the actual heating elements for the grips and seats were all good, so I disconnected them from the Honda wiring and instead hooked them up to a couple of pulsed DC heat controllers designed for heated clothing /grip that I bought over the internet from "Warm and Safe."

Everything has worked perfectly ever since !!!!

If your bike is under warrantee I would be sure to pursue it while it is - this could be simple, or - like mine - a costly fix if you want to stick with the original system.

My bike was a month or so out of warranty when I realized for sure that I had a problem and Honda would do nothing to assist me. Since this was in September - just at the start of the heating season, I thought they might be reasonable, but no !!

In hindsight, I think the problem was there from day one. I just didn't use the heaters enough to be sure although I had my suspicions. Clearly I should have nailed down the problem sooner.

Symptoms were on my bike that everything would work for 10-15 minutes then mysteriously shut down. It would only heat again if I shut off and restarted the bike. Many owners experienced this and it is due to the action of the control module if anything at all is amiss with the entire system.

There are a lot of conflicting stories circulating about how the system works.

Most dealers don't even seem to understand the mysteries of how the control module is supposed to function and the service manual isn't much help so perhaps they are not to blame

To the best of my knowledge, the grips - if working properly- should heat no matter what the ambient temperature.

I am not certain about the seats, but I think the same applies. I have seen conflicting reports. I think from memory that the service manual is silent on this point.

Some people have said the seats will only heat if there is weight on the seat, but I am 100% sure there are no pressure switches in the circuits so I don;t believe that.

I'm sure it is true that if no-one sits on the seat, the heat will just dissipate and you quite likely won't feel the seat getting warm.

I do know however that there is a wire from the bike's ECM to the seat/grip heater module and I don't know what purpose this serves - nor does the manual say - so it possibly does send an ambient temperature reading to the heat control module. I'd be very interested to know if anyone knows for sure what this connection does!

Meanwhile I am very happy with my home-brew simplified system that works perfectly ! I just started using it again this month and all is well !

I am normally very impressed with Honda Engineering but I think they real screwed up on the heated grip/seat system making it overly complicated and trouble prone.

Good luck - maybe your problem is more simple to resolve, I do hope so!

Brian.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
imported post

having a sort of similar problem. my seat and right grip heat up fine, but the left grip doesnt seem to come up to temp like the right, anyone else had this issue?

ON a 2010 btw.

Lou

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
imported post

Lou,

I wonder if that could be just due to the difference in construction of the right grip with the throttle sleeve. Perhaps less heat gets transmitted away through the bar on the right side?

As info, the OEM grip heat elements on the Wing are wired in series whereas the seat and backrest elements are all wired in parallel.

Brian.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.