Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought the bike had 38,500 miles on it the husband passed and wife sold it to me she has no knowledge of any service records on bike. What services should be the 1st done to the bike??? Is there a guide on what miles the bike should receive certain services and if so where can I get the chart. Planning on a Trip to Western Kentucky from Tennessee its about a 7 hour trip. Would like to make sure the bike is fully serviced 1st. I called Honda and they wanted 1100.00 bucks plus parts and labor to fully service the bike..... I can turn a wrench just need to know exactly what I need as far as oil,filters, and so forth...Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
27,104 Posts
Here is the maintenance schedule. Pay no attention to the ridiculous spark plug and air filter replacement mileages. I run both 50,000 miles with no problems.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,874 Posts
Oil Filter,
I only use NAPA Gold 1358, it is an extended length filter, reasonable price.
made by Wix, I have opened them up, they are made well.

Antifreeze? 50/50 Silicate Free, the bike has an aluminum engine, and aluminum radiator.

Oil, if it tastes good, it is good to go.
My recommendation is Rotella T6 in 5w40
T5 and T4 is good, as long as, you use the Diesel formulas that do NOT have any Friction Modifiers.

T6 5w40 is such an oil, shifts fantastic, why look for something else.
it happens to be cheapest oil on the shelf at ~$22.00 so what could be better?

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
I dont understand why clutch and break fluid has to be replaced every 12k.
I bought my honda car brand new and now I have 275k on it. It runs like new. I only changed air filters a few times, regular oil change whenever on board computer says was due and changed trans fluid, once
Now I remember I did the cooling fluid once too.
Never touched the brake fluid

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
What does C mean in crank case breather? Clean? where is it,how you do it?
I assume the" I "means inspect and" R" replace

·
Administrator
27,104 Posts
What does C mean in crank case breather? Clean? where is it,how you do it?
I assume the" I "means inspect and" R" replace
That's just the drain tube from the air chamber, it's in front of the left head. It has a plug in it, pull the plug and let the gunk drain out.

·
Administrator
27,104 Posts
I dont understand why clutch and break fluid has to be replaced every 12k.
I bought my honda car brand new and now I have 275k on it. It runs like new. I only changed air filters a few times, regular oil change whenever on board computer says was due and changed trans fluid, once
Now I remember I did the cooling fluid once too.
Never touched the brake fluid
Brake fluid does need to be changed, it absorbs water and becomes steam when hot causing loss of braking. Also starts corroding metal parts. 2 years is plenty often.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Brake fluid absorbs water from the air which allows corrosion internaly and lowers the temp the fluid"boils" at which is when you get zero brakes
The 12k recomendation is based on 6k a year, most car and bike makers recomend every 2 yrs

·
Registered
528 Posts
Wherever air can get water can get and air has to get in as pads wear and master level goes down.

·
Registered
253 Posts
If the recall on the brakes has been done the fluid has been changed then. Even if it has, I would check the bike over carefully and if all looks good head home and then do a complete change of ALL fluids when I get home. I am going to go out on a limb and guess there are many 1800's out there that have had minimum service done with more miles than that one and probably running great, as in like new or very close to it.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,874 Posts
our 2007 Vibe with 116,000 miles has never had the brake fluid changed.

asked a local shop and they said unless they can find evidence of leaks, they never change brake fluids on newer cars.

the pedal is just as good as when it was new...

·
1,768 Posts

asked a local shop and they said unless they can find evidence of leaks, they never change brake fluids on newer cars.

You should find a workshop that has an idea of what they are talking about.
I can guarantee you that at least 75% of the problems with clutch slave cylinders and the like on the Gold Wings would never have occurred if the fluid had been replaced every two or three years.
likewise, a large part of the campaign with the recall of the GL1800 due to dragging rear brake is definitely related to the fact that no brake fluid has been replaced at the set intervals.
I have also several times, on group trips in the mountains, experienced that other Gold Wing owners have lost their braking ability due to boiling brake fluid - this would not have happened if the brake fluid had been replaced as recommended!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Its one of those items that gets easily neglected, like when a manual says change a belt at a certain miles or after a certain time, people stop reading after the miles bit then get upset when they break after twice the time!!

·
Registered
2008 GL1800 Airbag "Titanium Torpedo". Former 1987 GL1200.
12 Posts
Just bought the bike had 38,500 miles on it the husband passed and wife sold it to me she has no knowledge of any service records on bike. What services should be the 1st done to the bike??? Is there a guide on what miles the bike should receive certain services and if so where can I get the chart. Planning on a Trip to Western Kentucky from Tennessee its about a 7 hour trip. Would like to make sure the bike is fully serviced 1st. I called Honda and they wanted 1100.00 bucks plus parts and labor to fully service the bike..... I can turn a wrench just need to know exactly what I need as far as oil,filters, and so forth...Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Madmax,
Also have a 2008, which I bought about a year and a half ago with about 36,000 miles. I had the money, but not the time, so I had the local Honda dealer do the complete 24,000 mile service. Now I know where everything stands, which gives me a lot of peace of mind. Buy a Clymer manual (35.00, I think). Honda recommends, and I am using, the 10W30 HP4S Honda full synthetic oil and Honda filter. Bike had standard Honda GN4 oil in it when I bought it from a guy who took good care of it. Bike shifts noticeably smoother with the synthetic oil. From now on, I will change the oil myself and will continue to use some type of suitable 10W30 full synthetic, if not the Honda oil. Bike runs and rides like new, and I will follow the recommended service intervals to keep it that way. These are too nice of a bike to cut corners. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Newer cars are made with more rust resistant parts including the brake lines. Back in the mid 1960's when I started working as a auto mechanic I replaced many rusted brake lines. The moisture settles in the lowest part or bend of the line and rusts through from the inside. I have seen many newer cars where the engine oil is about the same color as the brake fluid in the resivoir. They should really have the brake fluid changed at least every 2 or 3 years also for best performance! Brake fluid is very hydroscopic, which means it absorbs moisture from the air. Autos are not sealed like motorcycles because they don't normally get tipped over.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Brake fluid absorbs water from the air which allows corrosion internaly and lowers the temp the fluid"boils" at which is when you get zero brakes
The 12k recomendation is based on 6k a year, most car and bike makers recomend every 2 yrs
Just a question. How does water in the air migrate into a sealed brake system?

·
Administrator
27,104 Posts
It just does, how doesn't matter. Neglect will show the results.

Reactions: Pwhoever

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500 Asp and 2017 GL1800 4AC
333 Posts
DOT brake fluid is hygroscopic by nature which means it absorbs water from the environment via seams and microscopic pores in your hydraulic lines.
Water vapor in the air in the reservoir is absorbed into the brake fluid from the atmosphere. The caps are vented.
As you pump the brakes fluid is also slowly moved around and this will enhance the mixing process. Also as you ride the motion of the bike will continuously change the air in the reservoir introducing more water vapor to be absorbed into the fluid..... and so on. Slow process, but over a couple of years enough of it goes on to potentially compromise your brakes.

Reactions: Pwhoever
1 - 20 of 21 Posts