Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi everyone,

I bought a new Goldwing this summer. Presently have 5,600 miles, and have changed the oil twice using Honda's GN4 10W-40. I know so much has been already discussed on this forum about engine oils - that is what confuses me. Some say Castrol GTX 10W-40 is good, but many others say the synthetics are better. The owners manual reads to go with Honda GN4, or equivalent, which I think is consistent with the Castrol GTX 10W-40 oil. I don't recall reading anything regarding synthetics in the manual.

I plan on keeping my bike for many years. I want this one to be one of those we hear about hitting the 200,000 mile mark. Would you please advise me as to what you think would work best in my bike ? I usually change the oil at between 3 - 4,000 miles.

Thanks in advance, Dave in Virginia

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

There is no definitive answer to your question, sorry!

here's some of the oils you'll hear about most often

Chevron Delo 400 15W-40
Shell Rotella T 15W-40
Amsoil
Mobil 1
Castrol that you mentioned

Each have their adherents, I personally favour the Delo 400, I find the shifting is smoother than with GN4 10W-40 or Rotella.

The important thing is, change it frequently, and make sure it is not 'energy conserving' because those have additives which may cause your clutch to slip.

I change mine at about 6000 km, and I think a lot of people use a similar schedule.

If you are concerned about warranty issues, Honda recommend a 10W-40, but it doesn't have to be theirs, just an appropriate type of non-energy conserving oil.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Hi Dave. The most important thing right now is protecting your warranty. Do what Honda tells you to do as far as servicing & keep a perfect paper trail. If something blows, & you used anything that they dont list, you might not have a warranty.

Next most important part is to never extend your oil change interval. keep it at Honda spec's and you should do well.

when you roll out of warranty protection, you will have figured out what changes you might want to do by chatting to other members with the same wing as yours who are having favorable results from other oils.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,651 Posts
imported post

English Bob pretty much nailed it for my opinion.

I'm a Chevron Delo 400 fan for the same reasons EB mentioned.

And it won't void your warranty. Nor will any oil that is at least equivalent to Honda's specs.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

Mother's recommended oil change interval is 8000 miles. I (personally) use the Rotella synthetic, the one in the blue jug, available at Wally World by the way. I change oil and filter at 8000 mi. whether it needs it or not. I get smoother shifting out of the synthetic, and it meets Mother's oil specs also.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
384 Posts
imported post

the_davidt wrote:
Mother's recommended oil change interval is 8000 miles. I (personally) use the Rotella synthetic, the one in the blue jug, available at Wally World by the way. I change oil and filter at 8000 mi. whether it needs it or not. I get smoother shifting out of the synthetic, and it meets Mother's oil specs also.

Just my opinion.
I ditto that! I have been using Rotella T for quite awhile. My Wing has 138,000 + miles on it and no engine problems. :goofygrin:

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

theROADRUNNER wrote:
the_davidt wrote:

Just my opinion.
I ditto that! I have been using Rotella T for quite awhile. My Wing has 138,000 + miles on it and no engine problems. :goofygrin:
I read this month's Wing World [Dec 08], from the GWRRA that some synthetic oils comply with Honda's recommendations.

Mobil 1 in 10w40 [or higher] viscosity and Shell's [Rotella] new 5w40 synthetic has recently passed JASO MA testing.

Both were stated as fine for the 1500s & 1800s.

These two synthetics were given as examples that comply with Honda's recommendations, there are probably others. Nothing was really stated about oil/filter change intervals, but it would certainly be 'by the book' during the warranty.

I use oil myself & change every 90 days regardless of mileage to remove acids out of crankcase, but thought it interesting to see something official, in writing,on this subject.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I found the DELO 400 at Costco, and is presenty on sale by the case. $15 off a case of 6 gallons. It is marked Delo 400, LE, SAE 15W-40 formulated for API CJ 4.

Anyone know what the CJ 4 is, and if it can be used in our wings ?

Thanks, Dave

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,651 Posts
imported post

I believe it is just the spec number for the next to the last upgrade in the specifications race for more fuel efficient oils.

It has been used in Goldwings for years with excellent results. use it and enjoy. Your engine will.

·
Registered
384 Posts
imported post

Without actually knowing anything about the DELO and Gold Wings - I would first say it may be OK because DELO was used in diesel engines the same as Rotella.

In fact as I remember from my years in managing heavy equipment -DELO -the acronym for Diesel Engine Lubricating Oil.

I buy Shell Rotella T synthetic 5 w 40 at Wally World for $ 22.00 a gallon and change it according to Mom Honda specs at 8,000 miles ( sometines I stretch it to 10,000 ) - as I said in my former post - 138,000 miles on this 2002 and NO engine problems.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Roadrunner,

Is that Rotella T syn 5W-40 ALL synthetic or partly ? Also, how many of those 138,000 miles were on the Rotella T oil ?

Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
384 Posts
imported post

dave95sps wrote:
Roadrunner,

Is that Rotella T syn 5W-40 ALL synthetic or partly ? Also, how many of those 138,000 miles were on the Rotella T oil ?

Thanks, Dave
All synthetic. About 65,000 or so of the 138,000 - I was using Mobil 1 with the red cap before. They changed the formula on the Mobil 1.

Jim

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Thanks everyone for helping me understand which oil(s) to use. This forum is a wonderful place to seek and share information. Your collective wisdom and experience is greatly appreciated.

Dave

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Amsoil: Yep and I do not own stock in it, and yes all sites by and research by amsoil will say it is the best. :D But if you get away from all the hype , still in synthetics amsoil is the number one, then mobile one, and others follow.

If you want to combine it all, synthetic and regular oil, amsoil is still at the top of the chart, but you might find it interesting to know, that next is Golden Spectrum, and third is Delo 400, yes it even exceeds most of the synthetic oils out there. So when you search enough to seperate the hype from fact, it does seem must maybe some time tested oils are better. The Rotella regular oil is also very highly rated, but the rotella synthetic is almost at the bottom of the list.

Kit

·
Registered
384 Posts
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
Amsoil: Yep and I do not own stock in it, and yes all sites by and research by amsoil will say it is the best. :D But if you get away from all the hype , still in synthetics amsoil is the number one, then mobile one, and others follow.

If you want to combine it all, synthetic and regular oil, amsoil is still at the top of the chart, but you might find it interesting to know, that next is Golden Spectrum, and third is Delo 400, yes it even exceeds most of the synthetic oils out there. So when you search enough to seperate the hype from fact, it does seem must maybe some time tested oils are better. The Rotella regular oil is also very highly rated, but the rotella synthetic is almost at the bottom of the list.

Kit
Hey there 1800 Guru Mr. Kit

Check out the price of Amsoil vs Rotella T Synthetic. My Wing has a lot of miles with the "T" and I do not like to pay a premium price for something that is just as good as what I am using!

lso where did you obtain your information that "the Rotella regular oil is also very highly rated, but the rotella synthetic is almost at the bottom of the list."

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

theROADRUNNER wrote:
Kit Carson wrote:

Kit
Hey there 1800 Guru Mr. Kit

Check out the price of Amsoil vs Rotella T Synthetic. My Wing has a lot of miles with the "T" and I do not like to pay a premium price for something that is just as good as what I am using!

lso where did you obtain your information that "the Rotella regular oil is also very highly rated, but the rotella synthetic is almost at the bottom of the list."
I have no intention of ever denying that amsoil is high priced. It is for sure. Oil and its use is personal choice, but if one wishes only the best for your bike and if you do not care to spend a bit more, and can get over the 3000 mile oil changes and adapt to modern technology and go on and use the 8000 mile change interval that our service manuals tell us to do, it is not all that much more expensive. If you do not wish to pay a premium price for oil, do not do so. That again is personal choice, and there is no one steady answer to it all. You do have to move past old ways and accept the new. I for one do like to use the best available, so for me that is amsoil or delo 400 or some other highly rated oils. Sure I can buy 5 weight rotella, as I can still buy the old red colored phillips 66 oil for 89 cents a quart, but I will not put it in my pride and joy.

As for where to find all this information, just do a search on the web for oil ratings. Type in some things like motorcycle oils and how do they rate, or service ratings for oil use , or how are motor oils rated. You have to read about twenty of them to separate the fiction from fact.

Rotella regular oil is a oil that is formulated for the use in trucks originally, and is a very good oil. All the rating charts do show this. As it does show for the Delo 400.

As for ratings on the synthetic rotella, hey all of it I have ever seen is a very light 5 rating on the low end of the viscosity scale, and is shown near the bottom of the list in charts that rate synthetics.

I did try that oil one time in a Yamaha Venture, I heard sounds I had never heard before, and could hear the oil gurgling and bubbleing in the engine, it is just a light base weight oil, do not think it is good for bikes......and yes that is just my opinion, and I got rid of it at about 1500 miles, it just worried me too much.

So I use amsoil, it is what all research proves is the best, until such time as someone shows me another is better I will continue to use it. I did try Royal Purple this last time around, and I can tell a difference in the fact the bike does not shift as smooth, and Royal Purple is like 6 or 7 down on most of the rating lists. So next week it is gone too and back to amsoil.
Bob the oil guy is a good site to go to and read up on oils. But it would take a twenty page post to explain it all, viscosity and base ratings , so best if one is really interested to go read it all for oneself. That way you can form your own opionion, as I have done.

Kit

·
Registered
384 Posts
imported post

Kit - Thanks for your reply -

I am sure what you use as oil for your GL is certainly your preference. I have been retired for 8 years and watching my $$$ - My preference is to use a great oil and ata great price and I will change my synthetic and my filter every 8,000 to 10,000 miles as I have been doing. 138,000 miles on my Wing and no oil addition between changes tells me that I have been doing something right.

The following is information sent to me from a friend who received this information from Shell:

"We recently ran the JASO MA friction test on Rotella T with Triple Protection 15W-40, Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 (CI-4) and Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 CJ-4." Rotella T with Triple Protection 15W-40 andRotella T Synthetic 5W-40 CJ-4 do meet JASO MA."

Stu Oltman, Wing World Technical Editor providedthis additional information:

This is good news for all of us. That is, for those of us who would rather get a good product at a good price than agonize endlessly over which is "the best." I hope some other companies follow suit. Those folks selling $9 per quart motorcycle oil can now go pound sand, as far as I'm concerned.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

I think I have said this before but heres my four pennys worth.
I change mine every 2000 miles and I change the filter as well. I use cheap oil and I use the same principle on cars. My two cars have oil and filter every 2500 miles.

I have always believed oil is the life blood and clean oil just keeps it all ticking over nicely.

I have used synthetic oil in a BMW k100 before but that was because the PO had used it. I gather mixing the two can cause lumps to develop.

It's a little overkill but all my cars make 110,000 plus before the knackers yard and the goldie has 135,000 on the clock. I do a lot of motorway driving.

It's up to each person but it works for me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.