Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i disconntected my battery to keep on charge while i was away. i reconnected the battery about a week ago. today i realised my rear speakers arent going. not sure where to look now. Any help i will be grateful. thanks martin

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Most of the time it is a broken wire in the harness running beside the hinge in the trunk lid. I've had to fix mine twice since I've owned my 02.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
Many times when power is taken away (like the unhooking of a battery) electronics will return to a factory default setting. Check the balance of the speakers to make sure it is balanced between the front and the back speakers.:waving:

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks. it doesnt have a balanc,e just a fader and have played with that with no luck. Not sure where to start with the wiring. Going to take seat off and have a look around the battery.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
thanks. it doesnt have a balanc,e just a fader and have played with that with no luck. Not sure where to start with the wiring. Going to take seat off and have a look around the battery.
Take the seat off but where to look is on the right side of the bike. The wiring harness that travels from under the seat to the trunk up the side trunk lid hinge.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Most of the time it is a broken wire in the harness running beside the hinge in the trunk lid. I've had to fix mine twice since I've owned my 02.
Dito.
I have fixed several bikes that someone didn't route and secure the wires properly causing them to get pinched by the hinges. You have to wire tie them and check the operation of the hinges multiple times before closing the job up. Happens on any trunk speaker wires not routed properly.
You will need to soldier in some extra length of wire and heat shrink tubing as most harnesses are exact minimum length to start. Crimp connection will be too fat and not a good quality sound wire fix.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for you help . I've looked through the wiring without taking in tape off. It looks alright but if the wires broken on the inside how do i trace it. does the wires have power going through so i can use a tester. cheers martin

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
I took the tape off (well mine were kind of a vinyl sheathing). The wires were obviously broke. And like Stu said, you have to add a little wire, soldering both ends (no crimp connectors will fit, its tight). Then make sure they are routed away from the hinge. You cant really use a tester because of the low voltage. If you have a GOOD meter, you can go across both terminals, setting the meter for a low AC reading, and as you turn the radio up, the AC voltage will increase. But you have to have both wires working before you can test for that. I'll put my money on the broken wire and you'll see it when you take the tape off. You may have a problem with the radio, but its highly unlikely. 9 times outta 10 its those wires you see when you pop the trunk going up to the speaker. On a side note, if someone has replaced the rears with aftermarkets, they may not have the end connectors slid on there tight enough and after a while of vibration, one or both connections will slide off the terminals at the speaker. Let us know what you found out...

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Martin
You can test the wires with an ohm meter. Disconnect the connection under the seat, and at the speakers to test each wire.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Martin
You can test the wires with an ohm meter. Disconnect the connection under the seat, and at the speakers to test each wire.
Yuppers, I was thinking from the radio side, not the speaker side. You sure can do that. That's what I get for posting so early in the morning, lol...

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
When I bought my 2001 used, the rear speakers didn't work and the PO never said anything about them. First thing I did was look at where the wire runs along the trunk hinge and sure enough, both wires on both sides were severed. The black plastic sheathing was broke as well. Funny that I just read that a 2006 model had the same problem. You would think this problem would have been solved but I guess not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.