Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2008 Goldwing that has navigation. I have had many wings but this is the first one with navigation. It appeared the navigation needed updating so I ordered the updated SD cards from Garmin. When installing neither card (U.S. & Canadian) would load. I tried several times following the instructions to the letter. I keep getting "Data Card Error" as soon as the card is entered. I tried both my new cards in addition to the old one that was in the bike when I bought it. All 3 produce the error message. I loosened the case around the Nav. system and pushed the reset button. When the system did a self-check, it shows "failed" for the data card. All 3 cards show failure when resetting the system several times. I can get the system to work but I believe I am seeing just "base maps" that do not have a lot of detail. Any ideas or suggestions.....? Thanks..... Jim

·
Administrator
26,149 Posts
Not much experience with that but maybe try disconnecting the battery and touch the cables together for a minute.

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
I seem to remember that the 2008 wings use a cf card and not an sd card. Additionally, some owners have accidently bent the cf card pins upon reinsertion of the cf card. Assuming I am correct in my fact regarding the cf card, have you checked the connector on the GPS unit for bent pins?

Les

·
Pwhoever
3,161 Posts
When you put in the new card for U.S., did you follow the instructions and let it update the firmware first?

·
Pwhoever
3,161 Posts
And I just came across this earlier post. Since you pressed the reset button. You may have to do a forced update. Also, that reset button is very easy to break so be careful with it.

Just an extra bit of info, the Navi manual lists that if you get a data card error, see your dealer to replace the unit. That seems a bit extreme and also an expensive proposition. Like dadztoy mentions, you may have a bent pin that inserts into the card inside the unit.

I have seen where others have been able to carefully bend the pin back but again, they are easy to break off like the reset switch...

[/URL]

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You for your replies. I tried all the suggested loading processes with no results, The 2008 is the last year using the SD cards which I got directly from Garmin. Bike is going to the dealer tomorrow for other issue. Will see if they can sort it out..... Jim

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Well, my 2009 uses an SD card so I'm a little confused. Are we talking a Canadian wing here???

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. Dadztoy, you are absolutely correct. I got it backward. The 2008 and previous bikes use CF cards and that is what I have. The dealer was no help yesterday. They were not knowledgeable about any GPS problems. It looks like I need to remove the navigation unit in order to check for bent pins.....? If I can't get this unit working, I am inclined to add an additional portable GPS using a RAM mounting. When doing my reset it appears the nav unit may also control other displays on the dash. Can anybody enlighten me. If the nav unit were to be removed would that affect anything else? Thanks much for your help..... Jim

·
Administrator
26,149 Posts
. If the nav unit were to be removed would that affect anything else? Thanks much for your help..... Jim
Probably but it doesn't take up much room in the trunk so why not leave it there?

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
I did bend the pins once by inserting the card in a hurry.

Besides that sometime I get an error on camera or SD card reader when I plug it into the computer. I spray electronic cleaner on the contact points and it starts to works

1 - 10 of 10 Posts