Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

009/10

New to this forum, looking to buy a late model or new Goldwing. I've been off bikes for about 15 years and have not kept up. Was a loyal 4 bike Honda owner. 58 now and looking to trike a Goldwing or buy a trike possibly. Mostly due to wife have thigh stints, so she cannot ride a regular bike now.

What kind of discounts can one expect as an AVERAGE on NEW Goldwing for example. I'm not considering the cost of a trike included.

Also, do dealer discount much on new trikes they have. I've asked this to several and got funny looks, like are you kidding.

I guess if I walked in with a suit and briefcase, might be different. I'm looking at paying cash or nearly cash for what I'm looking for, but don't disclose that to dealers.

thanks for any ideas.

Moogy

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

I cant give you reliable answers, but wanted to say howdy and welcome!:waving:

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the greetings and salutations. I'm on my notebook, and my DSL is so slow tonite. I type and have to wait for characters to show up on my LCD. That was a really poor topic I typed. I should have reread it, but alas.......

Thanks and nice to meet you. Hopefully I'll get some ideas. I do not know anyone who rides or has a trike here in WI. It's still winter, so guess when spring gets here, I'll inquire from local riders and get some ideas too.

Have a nice weekend.

mooogy1

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum mooogy1. It's a great place to hang ('specially when everything outside is white). Spring is not the time to be looking for discounts :(. In the fall the dealers are looking to off-load some stock so they don't have to carry it through the long months of winter.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the site.

As m.f.n says you won't see much for deals until the fall. Also bear in mind that nobody knows what is happening in 2010. If they continue to produce Japanese made GL1800's it is one ball-game. If Honda come up with something new it's another.

And if they drop the Wing it is yet another.

Also, if Honda change the model, triking it may not be an option immediately.

My advice would be to find a bike you like and go for it. Remember that with a Wing, a good used is almost as good as new.

·
Premium Member
370 Posts

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
imported post

Dealers have "chimed in" on a couple of other Goldwing boards saying that the MSRP is going to be going up by about $1500 - $2000 for Wings delivered to the dealers after April 1. This is supposedly because of the decreasing value of the dollar compared to the yen. Is the invoice price to the dealer going up also? They seem to imply yes. Is any of this true? I can only vouch for what I have read.

·
Registered
297 Posts
imported post

Moogy, I've purchased 2 new 1800's from a local dealer. He has a reputation for offering the best prices on new bikes around the Twin Cities. He discounted the base model 2005 13%, on the 2009 air bag, the discount was 12.7%. No extra fees.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Jeff:

Might I inquire who the dealer is. Terrible thing to say, I have never bought a vehicle in the Eau Claire area. I buy my VW's in the cities. My buys local but not EauClaire. These guys are just nuts.

I'm not asking for something free, but be realistic. So I always look elsewhere. I guess business is so good here, they don't have to worry about competition. Besides, MN has a much better Lemon Law than WI. That always helps if it happens.

thanks for the advice. I heard BadBoys do a nice Trike job from some other board posts. You familiar with them?

Mooogy1

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

With the economic climate such as it is there are bound to be quite a few good low mileage second-hand trikes on the market. Much better to buy second-hand with a few accessories added, than buying a bike new then having to go and get it triked. The moment you ride it away from the dealer brand new, it will have depreciated by a huge ammount. It is also very much a buyers market out there at the moment with owners having to part with their beloved toys to make ends meet. Sad but a fact of life at the minute.

·
Registered
297 Posts
imported post

Mooogy1, the dealer is Larson Cycle in Cambridge, MN. I have purchased 5 motorcycles from Mike Larson, he has always treated me fairly.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,842 Posts
imported post

I also feel that you can find a very nice used trike that looks new.

Just need to be patient and scour the whole country, from left to right.

eBay for one.

craigslist via http://www.craigshelper.com/ is the easiest way. Enter the mileage you are willing to go, and it will scour eBay and craigslist in one fell swoop.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,842 Posts
imported post

gl1800 Champion trike

2001 yellow trike

2004 trike

2008 Trike

Those are just the ones in a 300 miles radius of Phoenix and eBay offers I found within two minutes.

with craigslist helper, you will need to choose zipcode within a geographic center of about 300 miles I noted tonight.

It used to scour the whole country, but craigslist must have put a damper on that.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

If you serious about getting a new bike and trike it, then don't do it separately, go to a trike conversion dealer of your choice and ask them to price a new bike with the conversion, they can get them at a greater deal than you can as they want the extra with the trike conversion. Otherwise, look for a good deal for one that has already been triked. There are a lot of them.:action:

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

There's plenty of new 07/08 Wings available for ~$16k. Might save you quite a bit of money if you don't have to get the latest/greatest thing they stick on the bikes.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Hello:

Thanks to all for the updates. I really appreciate the help. Especially the craigshelper. I spent over 20 years in IT, but got pushed out due to my age 4 years ago. So I don't spend time on PC"s like I used to.

Such a great crowd here. I'll be coming to AZ in March to drive my dad home, he is in Apache Jnct., so might look around down there too. Dad used to drive Indians in the 40's and 50's after the war, and I'm sure he'd love a ride on a trike even at 86.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Mooogy1

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,842 Posts
imported post

mooogy1,

There is a well known, and very much respected trike builder in my back door.

They often have subject bikes in stock to build them up on. And they will build up on one you own.

Check 'em out. The only mechanic I trust to work on my bikes since I have quit turning tools for myself.

D&D Discount Motorcycles, Tempe, AZ

They have been inside and on the front cover of GWRRA's magazine several times.

Mark authored a big technical article for GWRRA a while back. Don't remember which issue.

I get a sack full of Mana if you tell them I sent you there :D

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

A big warm welcome to the site Mooogy 1, good to have you on board. :waving:

I would agree totally with Littlejohn's view on this. Already triked and with as many extras as you might want already fitted, will save you a whole heap of money, especially in the present economic climate.

Do pick the bones of all the good advise you will get here and do let us know how you get on. :)

Enjoy the fourms and please visit often.

:waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

There are lots of very good used Trikes out there. I saw one yesterday, at a very fair price, but I am a long ways from you.

I would buy used. Why? Because once a bike is converted to a trike unless the Dealer has a place in his heart for you, there is no warranty anyway. If something serious comes up, even the dealer may or may not honor it. So as there is no written warranty and Honda completely says if a conversion, sorry Charlie, it only makes sense to buy used.

I would also buy a professional conversion, with the newer rear disc brakes(some have drum) completely outfitted, and let someone else absorb the initial cost of the Trike. That way you can enjoy the full benefit of the whole thing.

Plenty of time for chrome bits if you like later, or the fender rock covers and so on.

Those 1800 Trikes will run too, our fearless ride leader had one yesterday, and I was constantly telling him to slow down, it was a very nice day and everyone had spring fever and was ready to rip:D

Kit

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.