Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have owned this bike for 1 week and so far the heated seats don't work, the left bag won't close fully and the open light stays on.

I love the bike , but I think I know why Honda is moving to Japan. :(

·
Administrator
26,169 Posts
imported post

Those problems should have been found by whoever did the PDI on the bike. Take it back to the dealer you got it from and they should fix it.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

I agree, Johndoe, that's probably one of the reasons they're going back to Japan. Not to mention overhead costs, like gov't regulations, and labor/ins. costs Their car production stays because the cars can be done by robots much more than motorcycles.

Funny, I've worked with many that do a very poor job at work, (and little of that) and those same people bitch when the product that they buy is crap. The American way, I'm afraid. The GM workers don't drive very many GM's, the Ford workers don't drive very many Fords. GRRRR !! We're digging our own hole, and can't seem to get out.

Davo is right. Another example of American workmanship. That dealer got lazy, and didn't do their job, whomever that is. Honda ought to fire about 3/4ths of their dealers.

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
imported post

:waving:Hello and Welcome to the Saunders family . I hope you enjoy this group . ITs full of fine folks and lots of info to share .

AS for your new bike I hear there great . ITs a shame the dealer who servied it for sale didnt do a good job and let you down . They should take care of the problems.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

As for the heated seats not working. I thought the same about my 07 Wing, in that the heated seats really sucked. Had numerous folks lay their hands on them to feel for heat. Best results were maybe a little heat. Went back to the dealers and checked another bike and the results were the same. But being from Pa. and having the opportunity to ride in cold weather, I found out that when it gets cold out the heated seats work great. As a matter of fact I don't even have to turn them to the max setting. I can feel heat through mutliple layers of pants. But like I said when it was warm out one would think the heated seats were not working. So my suggestion to you is: Being you are from Florida, get on your bike, head north about 1100 miles, and see if that heated seat works. Its fairly cold here now. And as for the saddle bag not closing. Mine close okay but I sometimes have to just bump or tap mine to get the light to go out. Others I know have to do the same with their bags. Good Luck and enjoy the ride north if you decide to come up this way.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

I have had a Corbin heated seat on my 1800 since 2004 and it is excellent. At the high setting you can wear thick overtrousers and still get a very warm ass from it. Never had any probs with it to date and it gets really warm on the high setting and great on the low setting even with leathers on. You can feel the seat get really hot when you put your hands on it and I am very pleased with it's performance. If Corbin can do it I fail to see why the genuine factory fitted seat on the latest 1800 keeps getting reports of owners having problems.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Seems to me, the new owners don't quite understand how they work. The thermistors under the seat tell the seat controller how much to put out. If it's not real cold, they no worky much. Ours get hotter as the ambient temp gets colder. Work great.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for the welcome.

I took it to the shop today, and the tech told me the same thing, depends on outside air temp and seat has to have weight on it (sitting on it). Well the front seat has some heat but the the Masters Seat (Wife) seat has none I can detect, the temp was 46 so I think that qualified as a cold day . So the tech says he will call Honda on Monday.
I don't think I will bother with it, being this cold is not the norm here.
The bag issue, tech adjusted, said left bag common problem.

It will be interesting to see if Honda bothers to come up with a new 2011 Goldwing, or just makes some minor changes.
I don't want to purchase a new model the first year it comes out, so that's why I got a 2009, it will be time for a new one in four years.
I don't think Honda Motorcycle sales are doing real well in the US.
Thanks for your comments and advice. John

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

You do have the rear passenger seat heat control on? Just asking. As for having to sit on the seat and have weight on it, never heard of that one before. The system has no pressure sensors, not that I am aware of.

The system does work depending on ambient surrounding air temps. So in the summer you cannot sense any heat or very little, but on a 50 degree day it warms up quite nicely.

It most likely is as simple as the pin connector that connects in series to the rear passenger heating element. The rider seat and the passenger seat have separate elements, so I suspect a pin connector ..........and the other day in they local shop, seems to me I saw, the wires come up under the seat to the one main pin connector on the new bike, that underseat pin connector once apart a time or two does not seem to like to lock well.

Kit

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Yes, the rear heat control was on, at the max setting and lower, with no detectable heat.

I agree that it's something to do with the pin connectors or maybe the seat itself.

The tech at the Honda dealership says he checked all the wiring and could not find anything wrong, but he did admit that he has very little experience with seat heaters, maybe because it's Florida.

I may take it to another shop and see what they say.

If anybody has any ideas, please share them.

Oh, the tech said "it's a compression seat "??? where as you have to be sitting on the seat to feel heat, That does not sound right to me, but I need more time to sort it out.:stumped:

Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.