Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just replaced the LCD display on my GL1800 with a so-called universal replacement.
I installed it perfectly, cables were in the right way, etc..

Now all I get on the LCD is a white blank lit screen.
I believe the video board got damaged as the new LCD screen might not have been compatible with this bike.
Now I can't see my odometer, radio stations or the GPS.
What I did for now is insert a Garmin unit into the cavity as you can see in this photo I've attached here.

Has anyone else run into this problem?
I need help badly.

I've added a second photo.
This is the new LCD unit I purchased online.
(No refunds BTW).

Thanks. (Sad Steve, Toronto, Canada) Plant Speedometer Vehicle Car Odometer

Attachments

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
62,593 Posts
I don't blame you,
but it sounds like you will need to gamble on buying another one from them, or finding that BMW screen elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't blame you,
but it sounds like you will need to gamble on buying another one from them, or finding that BMW screen elsewhere.
Never again!
I'm stuck with a damaged Navi system!
I just want a refund from them.
I'll continue to use the added Garmin GPS for now.

·
Pwhoever
3,463 Posts
There is a guy on another forum, 98Valk, that has identified the problem and it involved isolating the 19th??? pin on the ribbon prior to using any of the new displays. What happens, as you found out, if wrong display is used, it can damage the board. There is a way to fix but takes some technical skills that I don't have.

Take a look at this very long thread. The important info comes somewhere in the middle but will take a while to get to.

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
2,401 Posts
Ordered my new LCD screen. I dont need it yet but my screen has a few bad spots and later might not be easily available.
Memo: cut pin 19
Thank you all that participated in this thread to solve the white screen problem

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ordered my new LCD screen. I dont need it yet but my screen has a few bad spots and later might not be easily available.
Memo: cut pin 19
Thank you all that participated in this thread to solve the white screen problem
Where is this PIN 19? I checked all the connections, they are fine!
I found this on one of the forums.
Anyone know about this?
Rectangle Font Circle Art Number

·
Pwhoever
3,463 Posts
Where is this PIN 19? I checked all the connections, they are fine!
I found this on one of the forums.
Anyone know about this?
View attachment 330103
Ummm, follow the link I posted above??? It is the same link as you found in your post.

It involves the ribbon cable that attaches the board to the display. You need to snip the ribbon so that pin 19 no longer connects between the board and display. But you now have a bigger issue because the board is now damaged by using either a display that wasn't compatible or was mislabeled on the part number. Snipping the ribbon cable now to prevent the connection on pin 19 isn't going to help you.

·
Pwhoever
3,463 Posts
To save you some time, look at this post:

And this post:

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I need to buy one asap.
I'm going on a long trip and need my lcd display back!!

·
Pwhoever
3,463 Posts
Unfortunately, you will probably not be able to buy a used or even new one. They normally get sold as a complete unit and upwards to $2000 or so. One recommendation in that thread is to find a local electronics repair place or possibly even a really good cell phone repair place to replace the transistor in the TR1 spot. One guy mentioned it cost all of $10 for a local place to do it for him.

·
Pwhoever
3,463 Posts
Look at this post and there is a red arrow pointing to the transistor that needs to be replaced:

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What is the part number for this transistor? Important!!

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm using an Android phone and cannot see a red arrow.
An actual transistor number would be very helpful at this stage.
Thanks. 😉

1 - 20 of 38 Posts