Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Pwhoever
3,461 Posts
Take time to read that thread I linked to. Everything you will need to know can be found there. I have nothing more to offer. I'm out...

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Okay thanks.
I appreciate you getting back to me.;)

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Steve,
when someone goes to great lengths to help you, we expect that you will get access to a PC and READ the information.
it is not our job to extract every tid bit of info and feed it to you.
:):cool:

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
2,400 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I took the thing apart again.
I found the transistor (TR1), but the numbers online aren't found anywhere... (AKQ 24 in this photo). Seems to be an invalid number!
Circuit component Passive circuit component Green Black Hardware programmer

·
Pwhoever
3,461 Posts
And did you read through the entire thread? There were several replacement options for that transistor as well as several retailers to acquire it. And better yet, what about becoming a member on that forum and contacting member 98Valk through a PM as he is the one that discovered the issue as well as the fix? He is the one you need to be reaching out to as he will be able to help you way better than anyone on this forum.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
I just replaced the LCD display on my GL1800 with a so-called universal replacement.
I installed it perfectly, cables were in the right way, etc..

Now all I get on the LCD is a white blank lit screen.
I believe the video board got damaged as the new LCD screen might not have been compatible with this bike.
Now I can't see my odometer, radio stations or the GPS.
What I did for now is insert a Garmin unit into the cavity as you can see in this photo I've attached here.

Has anyone else run into this problem?
I need help badly.

I've added a second photo.
This is the new LCD unit I purchased online.
(No refunds BTW).

Thanks. (Sad Steve, Toronto, Canada) View attachment 330056
This happened to a friend of a friend. When he tried to install the new one it damaged the whole unit and he had to replace the entire thing which cost about $1800. It turns out that the number of the LCD unit he bought from that same company was not the same number that came out of the original unit. If those numbers do not match this is what happens.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
This happened to a friend of a friend. When he tried to install the new one it damaged the whole unit and he had to replace the entire thing which cost about $1800. It turns out that the number of the LCD unit he bought from that same company was not the same number that came out of the original unit. If those numbers do not match this is what happens.
I don't know what to do now.
I'm at a loss. Lost my job. Apart from that, the bike runs okay.
I planned on changing some of the transistors on the video board. This was advised by some of the people on this forum.

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
2,400 Posts
Not some of the transistors. Its a precise one. And the thread informs you where to buy it
You might have everything fixed for under $100.00 But you have to read the entire thread.
So to make it simple : you replaced the screen with one that was not EXACTELY the same as the original despite what the label or seller said
.If you'd have cut or disconnected pin 19 everything would have been great, and you'd have had a working screen.
But you didn't know that and by installing the new screen you burned a specific transistor.
To fix your problem you have to replace that SPECIFIC transistor with one equivalent. The equivalents are provided in the THREAD.
After the transistor is replaced make sure pin 19 is disconnected or you'll burn the transistor again.
Good luck!
Over and out

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Not some of the transistors. Its a precise one. And the thread informs you where to buy it
You might have everything fixed for under $100.00 But you have to read the entire thread.
So to make it simple : you replaced the screen with one that was not EXACTELY the same as the original despite what the label or seller said
.If you'd have cut or disconnected pin 19 everything would have been great, and you'd have had a working screen.
But you didn't know that and by installing the new screen you burned a specific transistor.
To fix your problem you have to replace that SPECIFIC transistor with one equivalent. The equivalents are provided in the THREAD.
After the transistor is replaced make sure pin 19 is disconnected or you'll burn the transistor again.
Good luck!
Over and out
Thank you Peter for the information.
I will put back the original LCD screen so I won't need to cut any pins off...
I think that's playing it safe, don't you?

·
Pwhoever
3,461 Posts
Comprehension isn't a strong point with you is it? Because of the damaged board you now have,

YOUR ORIGINAL SCREEN WILL NO LONGER WORK NOW!!! ALL YOU WILL GET IS A BLANK WHITE SCREEN!!!

YOU MUST REPAIR YOUR CIRCUIT BOARD BY REPLACING THE TR1 TRANSISTOR WITH AN ALTERNATE AS REPLACING THE ORIGINAL ONE DOES NOT SEEM TO BE AVAILABLE!!!

READ THAT THREAD AND YOU WILL FIND A FULLY WORKING SUBSTITUTE AND THEY EVEN TELL YOU WHERE TO BUY. AND IF YOU CAREFULLY READ, YOU MIGHT JUST FIND A POST WHERE SOMEONE WENT AND BOUGHT 10 OF THE ALTERNATES AND HAS OFFERED TO SEND TO THOSE IN NEED ONE FOR FREE!!!

ONCE YOU SUCCESSFULY REPLACE THE TR1 TRANSISTOR, YOU MUST MUST MUST MAKE SURE THAT THE RIBBON STRIP IS MODIFIED SO THAT PIN #19 CANNOT CONNECT TO EITHER THE BOARD OR YOUR NEW RAPLACEMENT SCREEN!!!

Horse Eye Sky Working animal Eyelash

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
2,400 Posts
LOL
Very safe but you'll have a white screen since you already burned the transistor, Change the transistor and your old screen will be fine,
Put the new screen in and you'll burn the transistor again,
Repeat till you run out of cash.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
LOL
Very safe but you'll have a white screen since you already burned the transistor, Change the transistor and your old screen will be fine,
Put the new screen in and you'll burn the transistor again,
Repeat till you run out of cash.
Great advice! Thanks so much.... ;)

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Comprehension isn't a strong point with you is it? Because of the damaged board you now have,

YOUR ORIGINAL SCREEN WILL NO LONGER WORK NOW!!! ALL YOU WILL GET IS A BLANK WHITE SCREEN!!!

YOU MUST REPAIR YOUR CIRCUIT BOARD BY REPLACING THE TR1 TRANSISTOR WITH AN ALTERNATE AS REPLACING THE ORIGINAL ONE DOES NOT SEEM TO BE AVAILABLE!!!

READ THAT THREAD AND YOU WILL FIND A FULLY WORKING SUBSTITUTE AND THEY EVEN TELL YOU WHERE TO BUY. AND IF YOU CAREFULLY READ, YOU MIGHT JUST FIND A POST WHERE SOMEONE WENT AND BOUGHT 10 OF THE ALTERNATES AND HAS OFFERED TO SEND TO THOSE IN NEED ONE FOR FREE!!!

ONCE YOU SUCCESSFULY REPLACE THE TR1 TRANSISTOR, YOU MUST MUST MUST MAKE SURE THAT THE RIBBON STRIP IS MODIFIED SO THAT PIN #19 CANNOT CONNECT TO EITHER THE BOARD OR YOUR NEW RAPLACEMENT SCREEN!!!

View attachment 330132
I sure can use that TR1 transistor. Where can I buy one? I live in Canada....

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I took the thing apart again.
I found the transistor (TR1), but the numbers online aren't found anywhere... (AKQ 24 in this photo). Seems to be an invalid number!
View attachment 330120
AKQ is a valid SMD code for a SOT-23-3L PNP transistor from TiP semiconductor. No idea if Digikey or Mouser ship to the Great White North.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
AKQ is a valid SMD code for a SOT-23-3L PNP transistor from TiP semiconductor. No idea if Digikey or Mouser ship to the Great White North.
Great information.
Appreciate this very much....

21 - 38 of 38 Posts