1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I came across the 2009 Honda Goldwing website today:

http://powersports.honda.com/2009/gold-wing.aspx

I am sure you all have discussed this - but I've been zoning and missed it. Since I got my 2008 ABS in September - I was just looking to see at pros/cons of buying 2008 vs 2009 and so far here is what I saw:

Potential pros:

2009 - has XM radio - if you want that

2009 - has a tire pressure sensor - might be nice - but if it is like the one in my wife's car it is wrong about 70% of the time - they can keep it - I'll use another guage.

Potential cons:

2009 - there is not Black color option - which I like - being Blackdog :cheeky1:

2009 - Prices went up

Gold Wing Audio Comfort MSRP $20,999 was $19,599

Gold Wing Audio Comfort Navi XM MSRP $23,299 was $22,099

Gold Wing Audio Comfort Navi XM ABS MSRP $24,399 was $23,099

Gold Wing Airbag MSRP $25,599 was $24,349

2009 - are no longer made in the USA

Is this correct - or did I miss something?If it is all correct - and I didn't miss anything major - glad I got my 2008!! :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

I think it is pretty much correct except for one thing, the 09's are still made in the USA. If I remember right the plant at Marysville is closing mid 2009.

This kind of implies that they are not moving the tooling for the 1800 to Japan, which begs the next question...........................

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

As Honda has been quietly developing and testing the fuel cell automobile. I would not be at all surprised if the 2009 is the last 1800 made. I would figure that they are already setting the plant up in Japan for the production of a different model. What will it be? But the 1800 and the other larger Honda bikes are the muscle bikes of the era. I would expect a smaller more fuel efficient bike or even one with some type of alternative energy design. Just a hunch.

Kit

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
imported post

Blackdog wrote:

Potential pros:

2009 - has XM radio - if you want that

2009 - has a tire pressure sensor - might be nice - but if it is like the one in my wife's car it is wrong about 70% of the time - they can keep it - I'll use another guage.

Gold Wing Airbag MSRP $25,599 was $24,349

2009 - are no longer made in the USA

! :cool:
2009 Pros- They have Pearl Yellow back

XM radio/weather

Improved GPS

My Big Bird airbag was purchased for under 22.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
imported post

We just turned over 1475 miles on our 2008 and we love it! Waited and watched for the 2009 and decided it wasn't worth it. We added the pressure gauge... XM radio didn't impress us...we like the 08 red better than the 09 "wine"

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
imported post

The TPMS Tire Pressure Monitor System seemed like a joke but the light went off and I actually checked tire pressure and the rear tire WAS LOW. Not sure if it worth the extra money for the 2009. Ordered mine from Honda and was made in the Ohio USA plant. I like the Titanium color which may have been the decider.document.write('/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/jumper.gif');

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

Hey not every one out there has a mere 20-25,000 cash for a new bike ! But to each his own more power to you if you have it ! for me I like my 96 gl1500 with 83,000 miles forest green which they don`t make as of now ! If I were you any1 who has a new 1800 I would really think about the new 2010 will be made in Japan not AMERICA ! I don`t know about any of you but Im proud to own a piece of American work made with our blood,sweat & tears ! but comeon folks think about america !

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

I had been thinking about a new wing for a couple years. My 89 was great, but a new wing would be even better. Heard about Honda moving the bikes to Japan. Goldwings have been made both in Japan and here in the USA. But why not buy US made if you can, and still get the bike you've been dreaming of? I bought a 2008. I have a digital tire pressure gauge in the trunk, just have to pull it out once a week to check the pressure. I love the Metalic Red. Put my own GPS on it, much better than Honda's attempt. Dont need the XM Radio, hooked up an MP3 player.

Now I have my new Goldwing and it was Made in the USA, what more could a person ask for?

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

ddrumman2004 wrote:
3rdwing wrote:
Now I have my new Goldwing and it was Made in the USA, what more could a person ask for?
:dude: How about same bike but 400 pounds lighter?":cheeky1:
That would be this - not much storage though...:shock:

Attachments

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

$21,000 to $26,000 Dollars!

Are you guys made of money? For $10,000 less (!), I'll ride my lovely ST.... motorcycling ain't about money, or luxury, or outdoing the Joneses... it's about the heart, spirit, and mind!

(whew! that's a relief, had to vent, I did......:dude:)

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
$21,000 to $26,000 Dollars!

Are you guys made of money? For $10,000 less (!), I'll ride my lovely ST.... motorcycling ain't about money, or luxury, or outdoing the Joneses... it's about the heart, spirit, and mind!

(whew! that's a relief, had to vent, I did......:dude:)

Why are you on the sidewalk - don't they have the roads clear? :cheeky1:

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

That's not my sidewalk, that's my garage!

:gunhead::gunhead::gunhead:

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

:jumper:

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

ddrumman2004 wrote:
3rdwing wrote:
:dude: How about same bike but 400 pounds lighter?":cheeky1:
My 1800 feels and handles like its acouple hundred pounds lighter thanthe 1500.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Last I heard, the 2010 is Marysville, also. Then, I wouldn't be surprised if that's it for the Wing. They really don't sell that many, when we look at the overall Bike picture. I read that the US is a dwindling market, and they're (Honda) more interested in the "developing" countries. Like, India, and China. They're fast taking over in gnp.

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I don't have the money, but it sure would be nice to get an 1800 new before they scrap the molds.

I look at it this way, an 09 or '10 would last my lifetime. Heck look how old some of the 1000's are and they are still ticking.

As longs as I was able to hold it up with Nancy and a ton of stuff packed on it, we'ld still be touring in style. and comfort.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
imported post

I heard that they offered every employee at the marysville plant a job doing something else, somewhere else...any truth to it?....I ride a 91 1500 interstate...no gadgets...am/fm and that's it...put on 9K since May....afraid that if I ride an 1800 I'll be hooked and think less of the ride I have now...so I'll just keep what I got...love the ST1300...wife won't ride on the back with me if I got one...great value for the $...****

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.