Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

What do you all think of the new 2009 Kawasaki Voyager? I know there are alot of mixed opinions at http://www.amervoyassoc.org/ Some of them folks felt cheated when they didn't see an inline 6-cylinder and already crossed over to the Goldwing. Looks like a Harley clone to me but I would like to see one up close.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
imported post

Personally I hated the front. But then I am a WING fan

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

I'm glad to see Kawasaki bring back the Voyager. But I can see what the brass at Kawa... was thinking. "Should we compete with the Wing and BMW? :baffled:Naaaa.... lets cop out and make a Harley wanna bee"! Definitely an easier road.....
But come to think of it... :(with the world economy today... that may have been a good idea!

Lets see what Yamaha is going to do.:clapper: If they would take my old 1986 Venture Royal and modernize it.... it would compete with the BMW LT and perhaps even the Wing!! So I thinks:goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
imported post

corventure wrote:
Lets see what Yamaha is going to do.:clapper: If they would take my old 1986 Venture Royal and modernize it.... it would compete with the BMW LT and perhaps even the Wing!! So I thinks:goofygrin:
They have been and still are making the Venture but it's around $18000.00 now.:shock:

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
imported post

v twin cheaper to manufacture more profit for the company. just look at honda and the valkerie 1500/1800, it got dropped for the vtx, cheaper to produce even with a "v" motor. two pistons not six, you get the idea

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
imported post

I am also a member of a Concours group. They don't care for it either.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Nope, V twin and belt, not my idea of a modern bike. Belt drive is simpler and undboubtedly lighter but not as good in my opinion (which weighs heavily with me:cooldevil:) I sue like the smoothness of the six for long days on the road, the lack of vibration and noise really reduces fatigue after a 600 mile day. Also my 'Wing has 126k miles on the clock and still runs like new. How likely is that with that Kawasaki?

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

If Yamaha would have done something more than the current Venture, I might have picked them to get a new bike. They seem to be more interested in the mid-sized cruiser line with the new 900 and 1300 VStar. Which I am sure thats where the bread and butter sales are.

IMHO they could've done something touring-wise instead of the Strat/Roadliner. They already have a 1700cc in the RoadStar, why do they need another big cruiser in making the 1852cc Strat/Roadliner?

Anyways, glad to see another option in the touring bikes, and revisiting an old name.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

34Mike wrote:
corventure wrote:
They have been and still are making the Venture but it's around $18000.00 now.:shock:
Oh yes, you are correct... but it is nothing like the old Venture Royale.:?:? Detuned engine, Harley look a like... sorta. Carburetors and a.... cassett deck??? And how about the speedometer that looks like the one I had on my bicycle in the 1960's!!! Yuch.:p For me Yammmm missed the mark when they changed from the Venture Royale to the Royal StarVenture. But I thinkmy old 1986 was ahead of it's time. Even had features my 05 Wing does not. You could lean it into turns like a sport bike, had a gear indicator and a intercom systemthat was truely voice activated, to name a few.:baffled:

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
I sue like the smoothness of the six for long days on the road, the lack of vibration and noise really reduces fatigue after a 600 mile day. Also my 'Wing has 126k miles on the clock and still runs like new. How likely is that with that Kawasaki?
The technology for a smooth V-Twin has been around for many years. My 1990 Honda Pacific Coast has a 800cc V-Twin and is much smoother and quieter than my Wing or my in-line 4 Kawasaki 1100. The Kawasaki V-Twins aren't too bad for vibration, only loud if you make them that way and the liquid cooled engines will last as long as any liquid cooled bikes including our Wings.I'm talking aboutthe REAL liquid cooled engines like the 750,1500 and 1600cc Vulcan V-Twins and NOT the Head only cooled engines like the 2000cc and new 1700cc Voyager engines. With air cooled cylinders you will be VERY lucky to get 150,000 miles before the cylinders are warped and wear the piston to the point of needing at least a new top end. For me that would mean major engine work in less than 2 years........I'll pass.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
imported post

You can see by my list of bikes I like Kawasaki. I have 7 currently and although old as heck they "were" new back when I bought them 25-30 yrs ago. 1980 is my newest and in my opinion there's not been much that excited me at Kawasaki since that time. I can see the Harley styling and compare it to the Goldwing and there is no comparison, the engine likewise, the chassis, the 16" front wheel that never worked 25 yrs ago and I'm sure is no better now. I'm sure it's still got the radiator spanning the front of the bike that cooks you like a well done steak all summer too. No interest from me.

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

corventure wrote:
I'm glad to see Kawasaki bring back the Voyager. But I can see what the brass at Kawa... was thinking. "Should we compete with the Wing and BMW? :baffled:Naaaa.... lets cop out and make a Harley wanna bee"! Definitely an easier road.....
But come to think of it... :(with the world economy today... that may have been a good idea!

It is 22.5 here in Canada. But I still like it.
http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/products.php?model=2995&class=1&group=M|&LANG=en#contentTop

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,467 Posts
imported post

I really like that bike. We need some good competition between manufactures because it will mean a better product at a good cost.

Honda and Harley have had a corner on their nitch of the market which has caused them to give the consumer what they (the manufactures)wanted rather than what the consumer desired.

I think Harley listens a bit better than Honda to their customers. There is a total different feel when I visit a Harley dealership than Honda. Harley owners visit their dealerships just to hangout and fellowship, not so at Honda. May be Yamaha and Suzuki will develop a larger cult following with their look-a-like bikes. Remeber the intro of the Shadow. Where in the hades am I going with this endless gibberish? :doh: Where is my meds?:alco:

Keep on Winging:bat:

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
imported post

No centerstand on the Voyager, Yamaha still uses carbs? These 2 small details are enough to turn a big thumbs down on both of them before laying an eye on one. How do you change tires, clean the wheels ect without a centerstand on a 800lb motorcycle? I guess Harley doesn't have the centerstand either. They can keep those too.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

It would express my opinion if I could find a smiley-face that was hurling.

Just another wannabee Ultra Classic. What's the point? :baffled:

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

if I wanted a bike that looked like a harley I would buy a harley....

that reminds me, I did buy a harley

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.