Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Went to start the bike today and got this ERROR for the CB.

I have never seen it before, and never had problems.

I opened the trunk and assy to the CB compartment, and there was a bit of water in there.. (Will have to troubleshoot that also). By a bit I mean about 5 Tbs.

The CB Won't turn on, and none of the controls work..

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mel

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Sounds like it got wet.
Pull the CB out and dry it out in a 1 or 2 gallon size zip lock bag w/1 cup of White Rice in a dry room, Pull the back cover off to expose the internals of the CB, leave it in the bag 3 days before hooking back up. My son did this with his cell phone that went for a swim and it worked.
Then also check the CB fuse for being blown.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
Looks like Newday77 answered your question while I was tying in my answer.

Here is what I originally replied.

"Your CB may be fried but you can try to recover it by doing the following.

Purchase a large bag of rice big enough to put the entire CB into. Insert the CB into the bag and keep the bag in a room that is household temperature or warmer for 2-3 days. The rice will absorb the moisture out of the CB.

Dry out the compartment the CB came out of and determine where the water came from. If it came from something you placed inside the trunk then make sure to remove it. If it came from the grommet where the CB radio cables enter and exit the compartment the I suggest you try sealing up the grommet with some silicone sealer. If it leaked in past your trunk seal then you may need to replace that.

After the CB is completely dried out reinstall it and try again. If it fails you may have damaged it beyond useful repair. That would be an expensive leak.

Most liquids that get into the compartment are usually from something you have placed in the trunk, water bottle, soda bottle, cooler etc.

I don't recommend drilling holes in the trunk compartment since water goes both ways.

Let us know if you are able to recover your CB."

Henry

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,630 Posts
Yes,

make that a LARGE bag of rice.

and also place that bag in the sunshine protected from wind.
The kitchen bay window is perfect if facing the right way.

The extra warmth from the sun accelerates the moisture vaporizing off and the rice really gets hungry for water under those conditions.

As a radio technician back in the days of tubes, I took wet radios and laid them on the open door of an oven about half in, half out.

Set the temperature control at 130* and left it over night.

Radios nearly always went back to work.

IC components won't tolerate that so well, but if the whole radio is left out on the oven door and the oven is set at the very lowest setting, works like a charm.

Rice is cheaper and safer.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Wifes CB radio showed : CB ERROR one day...
Opened the compartment, and yes... It was definetly drowned.... for good.... Almost 3 inch of water in the compartment. (That, I too, will have to fix/waterproof).
I opened the unit, but it was no way near usabel. Looked like a Walt Disney cartoon inside. Burned and irodised. Seems like brass/copper will iodise, (turn green and pulverise) even in non-salty water.
I guess radios and CB`s aren`t supposed to be used under water???

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone, going to call dealer tomorrow morning ans see what he can do.. Just over a year old.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
Disconnecting the Wings battery for a few minutes and then reconnecting it often clears CB problems. It may not work for a wet CB, but is worth a try.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Disconnecting the Wings battery for a few minutes and then reconnecting it often clears CB problems. It may not work for a wet CB, but is worth a try.

Thanks FitzAl.. would be the same as removing the fuse but a little more work.. :)

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
I doubt the Dealer will do much for you since this is a water damage situation.

Did the dealer install the CB?? Did they put the grommet in place around the wires?? If they did the install and did not put the grommet in place then you may be able to get them to cover the damage.

Let us know.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I doubt the Dealer will do much for you since this is a water damage situation.

Did the dealer install the CB?? Did they put the grommet in place around the wires?? If they did the install and did not put the grommet in place then you may be able to get them to cover the damage.

Let us know.

Dealer installed June last year.. Just over the one year warranty. I have an appt next Tuesday - 23rd. Will let you know.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No idea yet, was raining here like a SOB all day. Supposed to clear up tomorrow.. Will check then.

Not from anything that I put in the trunk unless my helmet was full of water.. (Joke)

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Have you installed a rack or the trunk? Cracks around the mounts in the trunk lid, missing bolts, rubber washers between rack and trunk lid?

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is just like it was when I bought it from the dealer.. No additions.

Had a look at it today, and there is lots of space in the grommet for the wiring harness. I am going to demand a new cb and antennae assembly.

With the amount of rain we had in the past couple of weeks.. no wonder there was some water in the tray.

Will let you all know on the outcome.

Thanks for the replies.
Mel

·
1,819 Posts
When my CB went south , HONDA tould me that is was 13 month old , and warranty for electrical accessories was 12 month .
After a lot off writing ,i got NOTHING , and i must use MY money for a new CB !!!

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
SMEDEN: du har PM :applause:

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Went to the dealer yesterday and put up with a lot of BULL!! He denied everything from them installing it to warranty. They said I dumped the water in and that it couldn't come in through the grommet.

Went home, and today I dug up the installation procedures set out by Honda. Clearly states to use electrical tape around the grommet, which the dealer didn't do.

Questioned it and dealer said warranty is gone, nothing he can do. In other words I am SOL.

So, improper installation by the dealer caused my CB to blow.

PowerSports Honda In Ottawa Ontario allows their technicians to improperly install items and IF that ITEM lasts the warranty period, they are not responsible. Kind of sketchy to me, but I will not take my business back there again.

I am done ranting.. and broke.

:18black:

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Write to Honda with that one!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.