Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I have my ignition switch in the ACCessory position in order to enter destinations into the GPS and then change the switch to the ON position to start the engine the computer reboots. This causes me to have to wait until rebooting is completed so I can start the GPS, etc. Is there some way to change parameters or something so the computer will not reboot but just continue running?

·
Administrator
24,412 Posts
Does it happen just by turning the switch to on or when you actually start it?

·
Administrator
24,412 Posts
How is your battery? If the voltage drops too low when cranking it could cause the reboot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Battery seems to be fine:
12.4V Cold - Sitting for 2 weeks
9.6V Cranking - Or real close to that, it's a bit hard to get it exactly because the engine fires up immediately

Could it be that the GPS on the same circuit as the lights which all switch OFF when cranking the engine? I don't have a schematic.

·
Administrator
24,412 Posts
Battery seems to be fine:
12.4V Cold - Sitting for 2 weeks
9.6V Cranking - Or real close to that, it's a bit hard to get it exactly because the engine fires up immediately

Could it be that the GPS on the same circuit as the lights which all switch OFF when cranking the engine? I don't have a schematic.
There you go, 9.6 v cranking is too low. No, power to the GPS does not shut off when cranking.

·
Administrator
24,412 Posts

·
Administrator
57,515 Posts
Yep 10.5 and above. Anything below that and the bike may crank fine and not start. ECM and other electronics need at least 10.5 volts.

this is what I have determined from a lot of trials with 1500s and my 1800, below 10.5 it will not start.....
the starter rolls over, but to no avail..... you aren't going anywhere.

install new AGM battery, and no more problems ever.

·
Administrator
24,412 Posts
I have had mine start below 10 volts but a new battery was needed it sure cranks a lot faster. The main problem with the bad battery was reverse wouldn't work, it would engage but not back up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dave0430 and others were right on the money. A new battery solved this problem and very likely kept me from having much more serious problems in the near future. Thank all of you for your help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts