Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Any comments on tire operating temperature?

When the summer weather arrived I noticed the tires were warm after riding. I decided to monitor the tire temps while on my mancation.

I just returned from a trip to PA. While on the trip I measured the rear tire temp at 139 deg f with one of those laser temp guns. The air temp was 99 deg f according to the wings thermometer. I was near Pendleton OR.

I verified the standard 41/41 psi every morning during morning maint check while on the road.

This is a new 2010 GL1800. Odo read about 2600 miles when I left on Aug 2 and now reads 8870 on my return last night.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum and I hope you had fun on your mancation.:waving::ROFL:

I've never monitored my tyre temperature but at 99° air temperature and 150°+ road surface temperature and the natural heating of the tyres through friction and flexing I would think it's about right.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

That sounds right to me David. The heavier weight of a Goldwing will add to the tires temperature. A warmed up tire is a nice sticky tire.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

I've been as high as 156, if memory serves me correct. Any higher, and I stop.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanx guys. I was a little worried at first but the temps measured linear in relation to air temp.
I have never felt tire temps this warm on any vehicle I have/had. We had one of those little single axle trailers once with warm tires but it didn't come close to what I felt on the GoldWing.

The ride never felt 'squishy' or sloppy. I was more concerned about at what point the tire blows.

·
Major Enthusiast
238 Posts
imported post

Welcome!

Yup, Goldwing tires run hot. The rear is probably carrying around 1,000 lbs, and the tire area is not very well vented, apparently. The 2012 has louvers and venting around the tail light area to move heat away from the tire. (Can't be for looks, you can't really see it. Maybe it's for cost savings, so they use less plastic...)

What tire is on your bike? Different tires have different ratings.

Dunlop E-3 is an 80H rated tire.. 992 lbs, 130 mph sustained. I'm sure they factor high ambient temps into that, since a good portion of the south and southwest can run well over 110 to 120 for days and days.

Here is the Dunlop page..

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tirecatalog_tire.asp?id=91

And a page explaining tire ratings..

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

The Avon Cobra (I run that) is a 74H tire.. 827 lbs 13.0 MPH. I KNOW I exceed that, sinceI got weighed at Wing Ding a few years ago.. the rear was lik 930, and that was without luggage..

http://www.avonmoto.com/products/cruiser-touring-custom/cobra

The Dunnies howled and shrieked once they got to 7K miles or so, and I just got tired of the noise..

=Dave=

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.