Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Fellas,
Have not dropped by in awhile due to marital issues.
I have a big problem. I cannot get in my trunk. I can get in the saddlebags/bags via remote or release. The trunk will not open. I hear the lock solenoid actuating with the remote but no release or pop up. One side of the trunk lock appears to be released but the other side is not. I am at wit end as I do not want to destroy the trunk lid or possibly even damage the trunk to the point of replacement. The trunk lid moves up and down about a 1/4 inch as if it is unlocked. It acts as though the little locking bars mounted to the lid slipped down but that is impossible since the holes are not elongated. I called the service department at my dealer and the fella their has no idea how to get in the trunk.
I have a bad feeling about this ending up costing some money but before I destroy something I am here for the Wisdom of the Elders in the hope they have worked a miracle with a problem like this.
The trunk had been working fine at my other stops, opening/closing, locking/unlocking etc. until I came out of the store went to pop the trunk to get my helmet out and other equip and put my candy corn and ginger snaps in the trunk.
I also had to do something I do not like doing ride with out a helmet in a helmet state. I got home with no injuries and no tickets.
I hope someone can help!

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

Isn't there a release for the trunk or is that just for the bags? I think I remember the trunk working the same way. It's possible that the rods that connect the lever to the actuator have managed to slip off. Can you hear something moving inside the trunk (almost like a dragging sound) when you pull the lever? I'm sure that you tried the trunk release on the remote, maybe that is having the problem. If I was closer I would ride down there and help... Just take your time, don't get stressed out about it and look at it from every angle you can think of.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Yep, I tried the mechanical release several times. I thought about the something coming loose idea. The problem is I still can't get to it. I am not messing with the bike this evening so I do not rip the trunk lid off to fix it. I will go out in the morning and hopefully I will have gotten advice from here or thought of a way to open it in my sleep.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Good find. I tried a search but I guess I did not try hard enough.
Mine does not look like that but I could be mistaken. I'll look in my book. Maybe with a wire I may be able to do something. I do not think my problem will be as easy as releasing the latch with a coat hanger since the trunk lid moves up and down and one side appears to be unlatched while the other is not, but you never know and it is worth a try. Thanks Much!
I am in Mobile, Al now and not MuddyWaters, Florida. I am adapting to life in Mobile very slowly due to the local social enviroment.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Have you tried pushing downward on the trunk lid while releasing the latch? Just a thought. From what you describe, the trunk is releasing, but not enough to let it open. Try pushing down on the trunk lid and see if that releases the locking mechanism.:waving:

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
imported post

Wildrat wrote:
Mine does not look like that but I could be mistaken. I'll look in my book. Maybe with a wire I may be able to do something. I do not think my problem will be as easy as releasing the latch with a coat hanger since the trunk lid moves up and down and one side appears to be unlatched while the other is not, but you never know and it is worth a try. Thanks Much!
I am in Mobile, Al now and not MuddyWaters, Florida. I am adapting to life in Mobile very slowly due to the local social environment.

You are not mistaken, those photos are a 1500 and yours is an 1800..

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I tried pushing down, pulling up, pushing one side to the other. No cigar!

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I did

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

racingbanker16 wrote:
Wildrat wrote:
I am in Mobile, Al now and not MuddyWaters, Florida. I am adapting to life in Mobile very slowly due to the local social environment.

You are not mistaken, those photos are a 1500 and yours is an 1800..
+1 that is correct, but the 1800 is similar. at least mine is.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

I don't think the electrics are the problem. From what I have read he is getting the click when he uses the fob, it is mechanically not releasing.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

I think you are right Chuck. The under saddle trick is fine when the keys are locked in the trunk, but he already has the keys.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

It is a mechanical failure.If it were electrical I wouldhave been in the trunk already.
It is the next morning now and I am here with a coat hanger having no luck.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

I think I will do a Google search as the coat hanger does not seem to be doing the job. I looked at my manual but the illustrations and pics are not very useful for breaking and entering.
It is to bad that fella in that thread did not disclose the method he used to get in the trunk.
I am thinking he did not have a method just hot air.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

I did a google search and found a thread on another forum with the same guy saying he knows how to open but he does not give any details. Bunch of crap if you ask me.
Anyway I played with it for a couple hours to no avail. I got my saws all out with a metal cutting blad and had it open in a couple of minutes. I took the cover off the mechanism and it has issues. It appears the plastic pieces on the locks decided to fall apart and jam on one side. I pulled all the plastic out and it moved somewhat freely but still binding a bit. I got the side that would not release working but the side that did release has an issue also. I think the whole assembly is twisted, bent, something up, and probably because of my pulling, lifting, etc.. Never the less, it was messed up and would have never opened with the plastic jammed between the moving parts. If I could have gained access without damaging anything I likely could have just pulled the plastic out, replace them and it would be good as new.
Oh if your wondering what I cut it was the striker arm on the right side. I put a soft screwdriver under the left side lid. Slipped the saws all blade in between the lid,seal and bottom section and cut the thing into twp pieces. New striker plate is $8.and change including change.
I am seriously considering doing away with the lock totally.
Find two stainless pretty locking hasp and put them on and forget about the nicety of being able to pop the trunk with the remote. I have to lock and unlock on my Harley so I guess I could do it on the Honda and not have to ever worry about this issue again.
Why the plastic pieces fell apart after only one year I do not know.
If anyone knows a good source for pretty stainless locking hasp let me know before I get a big piece of chain and a giant padlock for the trunk.
Thanks to everyone who read my post and gave helpful advice!
For the fella who feels it's Top Secret on getting in the trunk, think about it next time you need help, maybe someone will remember your big secret and decide they feel it's a security risk to help you, even it is the right air pressure in a tire.:congrats:

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

Did you look into warranty or recall notices on this?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.