Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to a Buddy for trying to get me all updated on my GPS. Well.... the US 2010's use the micro SD card. The ones they sent to the Canucks has the CF card. My Buddy, advised me just to order a factory CF from Garmin to get my new update. After several waisted hours trying to find one on line, I phoned Garmin International.

Garmin told me I cannot order one directly from them and that I have to go through a Goldwing Dealership in Canada to get one. Why would I possibly need to go through a middleman for this? Seriously!!!!! I pressed the guy as to why I couldn't get one from Garmin. He really didn't have an answer for me, but I kind of got the impression if I was in the US I could get an update for a 2010 , just not sure if I could get an updated CF card. Are these Canadian CF cards the same system they used on the earlier CF card US bikes?

Any of you US guys with the 2008's and earlier get updated CF cards and was it substantially better?

Any of you 2010 guys in the US get an mini SD update and was it substantially better?

Any 2010 Canadians get an updated CF card, and was it substantially better?

Right now, I'm not too happy with Garmin.

·
Premium Member
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow...guess nobody updates or uses the Honda Nav

·
Administrator
24,835 Posts
Wow...guess nobody updates or uses the Honda Nav
No Canucks That have any knowledge of the situation anyway. :grin3: Is there any way to copy the data from a micro SD to a CF?

·
Registered
620 Posts
You need a multi-card reader that plugs in USB port on your computer (not very expensive), just copy the files from one to the other...

·
Premium Member
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No Canucks That have any knowledge of the situation anyway. :grin3: Is there any way to copy the data from a micro SD to a CF?

We tried that. Appears we may have a firmware issue. Copied to the SD to CF card installed it, but the GPS wouldn't read/recognize it.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Might try to do a sector-by-sector copy somehow, like read the micro SD to an .ISO file and then "burn" the .ISO to the CF. Might be some hidden data in "secret" sectors that's needed. You will need to be sure the CF is same size or next size bigger than the microSD. The idea is to copy the "empty" and "unallocated" space, boot sector, partition tables, and everything else over to the CF in addition to any visible files.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Further thought, I think you can do a sector-by-sector copy with Norton "Ghost". Ghost normal behavior is to copy just files, but I think there's a sector-by-sector option you can set (primarily used for copying non-DOS drives).

·
Premium Member
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did my 2008 twice. Waste of money!

I've been told they're not great. I'm to understand the latest version is somewhere around 2014, 5 years behind the times. But when I'm riding on an Interstate and my GPS shows me I'm not on a road, but I can see the Interstate is a 1/2" off to my right.

Thanks for your input, in this day and age you figure to have it dead on and up to date would be a simple task, Seriously Garmin, this is your business, customer service has to count for something.

Also did your update have Canada/US or just US?

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
Also did your update have Canada/US or just US?
Dont knowKyle.I dont care of updates any longer I traveled on major highway and the Gps told me to get out of a certain exit and right away told me to reenter, I learned to look at the bigger picture and not to blindly rely on the Nav commands And I use all the directions in conjuncture with Google maps when possible.
Thank you for your thread.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts