Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I set the cruise control on my GW it automatically drops back 5 mph and then works slowly up to where I set it. I was told by the local Honda shop that this is normal, but I can’t believe that. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
Should not do that. Shop near me can adjust cruise control at the same time air filter needs replacing.
gumbyred

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,710 Posts
by the air filter, there is a cable that needs adjusted.
DaveO430 fixed mine when he replaced my air filter.

it used to be like yours, but he set it to 'Attack' about 1 mph faster and then it settles back to the set speed.

·
Administrator
26,178 Posts
When I set the cruise control on my GW it automatically drops back 5 mph and then works slowly up to where I set it. I was told by the local Honda shop that this is normal, but I can’t believe that. Any input would be appreciated.
It is normal with the factory setting on the cable adjustment but easily fixed.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Found the info in my Hayes manual. Will give it a shot while changing the air filter this weekend. Thanks for all the information. Ron

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found this instruction sheet on the internet this morning. Haven’t tried it yet, but I thought I’d post it for the group to check it out. Ron
E061F734-3DD1-40BA-951C-6EA2A5FB5BBB.jpeg

·
Administrator
26,178 Posts
Adjust the long nut out until the idle starts to increase, then back it off about 1/2 turn.

Reactions: Pwhoever

·
Registered
5 Posts
My '08 does this too. Just changed the filter last year so not going there again soon. I am used to it anyway, but I am printing this out for next time.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
If it is like all 1800 you can adjust cable under ignition switch cover which has a long nut and short nut jammed together and turn about 4 turns to get it dead on cruise without a lag

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
If it is like all 1800 you can adjust cable under ignition switch cover which has a long nut and short nut jammed together and turn about 4 turns to get it dead on cruise without a lag
I have adjusted about 8 or 9 and I adjust about 3 to 4 turns and then take a ride to check the status. If it is not dead on I adjust again. Takes about 30 minutes and you need an 8mm and a 10mm wrench. You need to run a string through the box end of wrench in case you drop it and you want have to tear the bike down. I use to have a print out of this but can't find it now.

·
Pwhoever
3,161 Posts
Adjust the long nut out until the idle starts to increase, then back it off about 1/2 turn.
I did this same thing. I dont remember if I did it after engine warmed up or not but it made a big difference. No lag anymore.

·
Administrator
26,178 Posts
I did this same thing. I dont remember if I did it after engine warmed up or not but it made a big difference. No lag anymore.
Yes the engine needs to be warmed up.

Reactions: Pwhoever

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
You can make a similar adjustment on the cruise cable for the 1500. It is located on the left side close to where your knee will be. The main difference is that the 1500 cable is a lot easier to get access to for the adjustment. You can actually get to it without removing anything if you have some patience.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts