Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post to this site, but I have looked many times. I have a problem I am trying to solve on my 2012 wing.

I had a 2002 wing with cb and Kennedy cell set to integrate zumo 550 into communication system which enabled phone calls to/from my phone. I was rear ended last December totaling the bike and purchased a new 2012.

Getting it back to where I wanted it led me to purchase the Gl2Way which should allow phone operation however it does not work. I miss the first one or 2 seconds of speech the other party says - after every pause they do. If you said "Hello (pause), how are you? (pause) It looks like a good day.....I would hear ...are you....like a good day. The GPS navigation voice prompts are same way. If it says "Turn right in .2 miles"....I hear right in ...miles (since there is a pause after "in" I miss the .2).

I am heard fine on the phone by the other party.

Bike MP3 says it is a problem with the 2012 radio, but after a year, I don't see anyone else with this problem. Any ideas?

·
Trike Master
1,266 Posts
You can bet on it if Pete says it's the Honda radio!
Might suggest your dealer swap the radio for a new one under warranty.
You might also try putting you GL2ay in another bike to check it's operation.
Let us know the out come
Thanks

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you for such a quick reply. I tried the Honda swap idea, but they said it is an aftermarket item and not covered. I also get the impression same thing happens with my cb, that I miss the first second of conversation, but can't tell if the guy I ride with is truely pressing then talking or talking then pressing. Either way once cb is engaged the other person can pause as long or as many times as they want and it does not affect like the phone or gps nav.

If I could just convince the other party to talk fast with no pause I would hear all but first second just fine. BUT .. it would sound like this:

hellohowareyouIamfineandhopeyouarethesame.

·
Trike Master
1,266 Posts
It almost sound like a mute setting concern. Do you have any other systems on at the same time, such as am/fm?
The OEM radio switch out I suggested should have nothing to do w/an aftermarket unit being utilized!
I'd contact Honda customer service as the dealer is not the final word on warranty items.
or
you could ask the dealer to try an OEM CB unit as all the connections on the 2012/13'a are now in the trunk. That will take the GL2way out of the equation!

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Are the newer bikes equipped with "VOX" system? If so, the delay is normal. The older mics are on all the time, and a VOX system is actuated by a signal,ie, speech. Just wondering. jimsjinx

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will try contacting Honda myself and see what I can get out of them. It is just odd there are not others with 12's that don't have similar issues. Petesays when 12's are triked- they really have bad cb issues.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Adjusting the squelch control may solve the problem. Turn it all the way down till you hear noise make a test call if delay is gone then problem is found. Then adjust squelch control till noise just stops retest.

·
Trike Master
1,266 Posts
Reread your post again. Am I correct this problem is only when using your phone?
Can you try a different phone?
Does CB work OK? Does I-com work OK?
Pete does have on line instructions if you want to make sure "all" is connected properly and you have the correct units compatible w/the GL2way.
That's about as for as my non-help can go!
Let us know what you find.
Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do have either the USB playing or FM, but switcing from one to the other does not affect.

I tried the squelch test to no avail.

Any input into the main radio through the Gl2Way is affected - GPS nav prompts, when you push the menu buttons on the zumo 550 screen you are supposed to hear beeps, incoming talking from the phone

Intercom is fine and my outgoing CB and phone are fine. Incoming CB I am not 100% sure is bad - my buddy might be talking before pressing button. I press, wait a second, then talk. I am not sure he does.

I will take back to dealer next week and see if I can get them to change out the main radio. Pete (and others) think this will solve problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do have either the USB playing or FM, but switcing from one to the other does not affect.

I tried the squelch test to no avail.

Any input into the main radio through the Gl2Way is affected - GPS nav prompts, when you push the menu buttons on the zumo 550 screen you are supposed to hear beeps, incoming talking from the phone

Intercom is fine and my outgoing CB and phone are fine. Incoming CB I am not 100% sure is bad - my buddy might be talking before pressing button. I press, wait a second, then talk. I am not sure he does.

I will take back to dealer next week and see if I can get them to change out the main radio. Pete (and others) think this will solve problem.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
I've installed a couple OE CB's in '12' models with no complaints. I'd be really interested to hear what you find out. Please keep us updated.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
turn your mute settings to 0 and see if that cures it ,,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think the Mute setting comment is on the right track but not the solution. MP3 Pete and I discussed and I added the Amplirider booster. WOW - the increased volume is great. If anyone has problems with volume - this is the answer. Everything was louder and it helped - not solved - the GPS voice commands. Phone did not help. It was louder, but the seconds after a pause still caused missed words. I unplugged it because I didn't need the volume.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.