Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new 2012 GL 1800 about 3 weeks ago. I previously owned Harleys and never noticed pulling to the right. This bike pulls to the right quite a bit when I let go of the bars or or let go with my right hand i have to hold pressure to go straight. When both hands are on the bar I do not notice the pulling to the right. Went to my Honda dealership to ask them if that was normal and was told that all roads in Ohio are crowned would be the reason it lead to the right. I have since crossed the line and rode on the left side of the highway to see if it pulled to the left but it still pulled to the right. I have made an appointment to have them ride it on the 23rd of July. Has anyone with a 2012 noticed this?

·
Administrator
27,952 Posts
I have noticed the same thing with my 2010, only the opposite way, if I drop my right hand I have to hold pressure on the left bar to go straight but doing the opposite I don't have to pull on the right bar. If I let go of both it drifts right.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Old Vespas lean to the right, because they are heavier on the right side, as that is where the engine is. But I wouldn't think a brand new Goldwing would have such an issue. The only bikes that I have ever ridden that did that WERE old Vespas. My 1200 tracks straight with both hands off the bars. It will develop an oscillation in the front end if the tire pressure gets a little low.

·
Honda Guru
2,075 Posts
Eons ago…. I was a newbie at a Honda dealer in San Diego. There was a dressed CB750 that came in with a 'pulls to the right' or left… I don't remember which but it pulled to one side with both hands off the bars. It had a WJ fairing with Bates saddlebags. I remember the bike like it was yesterday. The service manager took it for a ride…. then one of the experienced techs… yes it pulls to the side.

After some time the problem was found….. a car battery in one saddlebag!

First thing to do is to remove everything from the rear trunk and both saddlebags. Remove anything from the fairing pouchs. Then retest. Make sure you are sitting in a straight position with both feet on the footpegs. It's fairly normal for there to be a 'drift' when you release the bars but it shouldn't PULL HARD.

The possibilities are various all the way from low tire pressure (something you should check first) to tweeked frame or steering components. The list is long.

Its a new bike and under warranty…. let the dealer have it back to begin with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I unloaded everything out of the bike and took for a test run. Just a very slight pull to the left so went back home and put what I had in the right saddle bag into the left bag and all is well. Thanks for your help.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts

Welcome:waving:Garyloos

·
650 Posts
I have a 2012 I never noticed a pull, ive let go of the bar and the bike goes straight

·
Premium Member
1984 Aspencade
298 Posts
I noticed while riding the 2010 1800 without hands, that it also pulled to the right. After some detective work, I discovered that I was putting more weight on the right side of the seat. When I sit staight and evenly, it tracks straight.

I think because the 1800s are so well balanced, that it is more noticeable than on other bikes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.