Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
If you gents are willing to give some thoughts on this, it would be really appreciated.

Both mirror lights/directionals(mirrors only) quit working, all other turn signals work good and flashing at normal speed.
I don't know if the lights are factory or not, I cannot find any extra relays or fuses for them(doesn't mean I've overlooked them)

Any ideas?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Your front turn signals both left and right get their power from connector C2, this is the only thing I can see in the wiring diagram that they both have in common. C2 is located under the left fairing and is a 22 pin connector, the left signal light wire color is Orange and is connected to pin 8 of C22, the right signal wire color is Light Blue and connected to pin 3 of C22. Have you check to see if your getting power to the turn signal lights in the mirror housing. Pulling the mirror is an easy job, just remove the screw at the bottom of the mirror housing and slide the mirror out, you'll then have access to the wiring. I'd check this first seeing how it is the easiest to do.

Reactions: DaveO430

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Terryj630, I'll check to ssee if there's power and the mirrors before I go any further.

·
1,768 Posts
If your "flashing rate" dont change when a bulb is out , then someone has added resistors or changed the flasher relay .

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No power at either mirror, it looks like the lights could be after market cause there is also driving lights within the turn signal.

Is there a separate fuse for just these turn signals someplace?

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
614 Posts
Someone added all those extra connectors. It also appears that there are only two wires going to the mirror.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,874 Posts
it would be nice if every one who adds stuff, would use a Tape Writer to label the extra stuff.

that is what I did to my bike, every single "extra wire" has a Taper Writer label on it denoting its' current function.

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
614 Posts
it would be nice if every one who adds stuff, would use a Tape Writer to label the extra stuff.

that is what I did to my bike, every single "extra wire" has a Taper Writer label on it denoting its' current function.

John, I do the same thing. I use a Brother label maker though. It makes waterproof laminated labels.

·
Administrator
27,103 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
No power at either mirror, it looks like the lights could be after market cause there is also driving lights within the turn signal.
Is there a separate fuse for just these turn signals someplace?
Since it's not factory, who knows. Have you looked inside that wad of tape?
Have you put power to the mirrors to test them? If they don't work there isn't much point in proceeding.
Bust out a meter and go over the wiring diagram to figure out what has been done and where the problem lies.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,874 Posts
John, I do the same thing. I use a Brother label maker though. It makes waterproof laminated labels.
Same tool I use only mine is Ancient, it does not even show in the current catalog.
guess they call all of them P-Touch, at least the same tape is still available,
except for one thing..

in the old days, the backing was a single layer you have to try forever, to get it separated from the label.
Now, it has a split back, and I just fold it and it and backing slides right off.

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
614 Posts
Same tool I use only mine is Ancient, it does not even show in the current catalog.
guess they call all of them P-Touch, at least the same tape is still available,
except for one thing..

in the old days, the backing was a single layer you have to try forever, to get it separated from the label.
Now, it has a split back, and I just fold it and it and backing slides right off.
Great tool. The printer is fairly cheap but the label tape makes up for it.
The one I have can be connected to a computer to make custom labels with graphics.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey boss(AZgl1800), I checked my email preference and I'm still not receiving email notifications, and thoughts?

I just looked at your Preferences and they are correct

is this your email addy?

klflesher zeeDot norwaymi.com

I purposely mangled it so the 'dot' is not there, Robots love to grab email addys and drown you in adverts

Attachments

·
Administrator
27,103 Posts
I wonder if the instructions for whatever those are said to put that wire across there?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,874 Posts
hey Kirk,

Hey boss(AZgl1800), I checked my email preference and I'm still not receiving email notifications, and thoughts?

is this your email addy?

I purposely mangled it so the 'dot' is not there, Robots love to grab email addys and drown you in adverts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hey Kirk,

is this your email addy?

Yes this email is correct, thanks for checking into this.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
There are several aftermarket lights that provide white daytime running lights that switch to amber turn signals when activated. Most all of these are LED based and require an electronic flasher unit. Helps to know which ones you have.

Some of these require separate power source and I know that the SoCalMotoGear sequential switchbacks also have a wire that runs across to connect and synchronize the two lights. No reason to have an unused connector. Looks like this might be the one you have: DYNAMIC SEQUENTIAL LED TURN SIGNALS: GOLD WING/F6B (socalmotogear.com) .

These units definitely have separate power and the white lights will come on with key in accessory position when running lights are normally off. Check their online install video.

Do you also have turn signals in the lower cowl or Muth wirrors? They plug in here as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts