Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So I was watching the movie "One Week" (Bucket List- type motorcycle movie) a few nights ago and then looking thru all my motorcycling pics a few days later and came upon an idea. Up here in Canada it seems that every city/town thinks they'll become famous by erecting some stupid statue that all the world will want to come and see and take a picture of. :? I've never noticed if American towns have the disease too. Maybe its all the cold air we inhale that alters our sense of worthwhile endeavors. :cheesygrin: Well, I figure if we can't beat 'em we may as well join 'em. Or at least use their bad judgement to give us some destination to aim for instead of just aimlessly riding around the hinterland. My wife hates that kind of riding, so this will make every ride a 'destination' ride. :thumbsup:

For 2012 I'm aiming to try and get a pic of my bike with every statue that's been erected in my province. I'm challenging you to do the same. You Southerners will have a head start, as I won't be out statue hunting until mid-April at the earliest. But with at least 62 statues erected in Manitoba I figure I'll be catching up pretty quick.

Here's the rules:

1. Statue must be in your home state / province
2. Your bike must be in the pic to count.
3. Extra point if you're in the the pic, too.
4. Extra point for every extra roadworthy bike in the pic. (Brand don't matter)
5. Pic must be posted on the Forum.

Here's a sample of what we'll be looking for:

That, of course, is the pumpkin found in the world-famous town of ROLAND, Manitoba. :ROFL:

What?! You've never heard of it? And you've never been there? Where exactly do you live?

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
imported post

That one has to be right at the top of the list for the stupidest statue, monument or whatever. :ROFL:

I can't think of any statues in my state, probably are some somewhere.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
I can't think of any statues in my state, probably are some somewhere.
And here's the opportunity to get to know your state better. And I've added 'Mascot' to the challenge. I know lots of you have war heroes erected in every town. We'll accept those, too, acknowledging they are in no way stupid. :applause:

And I'll be motoring a few miles to get all the birds, animals, vegetables and, would you believe, a mosquito in our province. The one that's farthest from my house is 500 MILES away! :shock:

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
imported post

I did a search on statues in OK. Not many, but lots of tourist oddities like a giant hand, a lizard, etc. Those count?

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Here's one from GA...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

LarryC wrote:
I did a search on statues in OK. Not many, but lots of tourist oddities like a giant hand, a lizard, etc. Those count?
Absolutely. Let's see what each state/province has out there.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

OK for those of you who have a few if no statues here is a list from Texas....Cuz I could wear out four Wings and be on the road everyday for the next two years and not even get close to getting them all...OK think I'm kidding here is a list of them, Some small some taller that the washington memorial...

http://texasescapes.com/Texas_architecture/TexasMonumentsNStatues.htm

Enjoy.....

BTW: Heres something else to consider...Historical Markers according to the internet there are over 16,000 of these markers in Texas...Now a few years back there was an article about this man that noticed the damage done to some of these markers near his home..Gun shots, fading etc....So he took it up on himself to start going to everyone he could find...He patches the holes, wire brushes the faded black paint, then tapes off the lettering repaints them black, once that dried he polishes them back up to the way they looked new....The state of Texas nor the counties ever contribute to his quest...If he's still around he has done a wonderful job on the ones I have seen...The one at the cemetary where my wife's folks are buried, that guy came in and fixed it...Looked totally awesome....

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

I like this idea, :thumbsup:it fits right in with the "Photo Scavenger Hunt"

Now I'm in even MORE of a hurry for spring ;)

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
imported post

Good idea, more things to look for and more rides to do....

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Got my first ride of the season in today. Earliest I've ever brought the bike out. Had a chance to get 2 more pics to add to the collection.

Dominion City - That's an exact replica of a record Sturgeon caught in the river just outside town. 15.5 ft long. 406 lbs.

Emerson - Old Mountie, a reminder of Fort Dufferin, first est. here.

That's 3 pics for me +1 for being in a pic, too = 4 pts. Beat that.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

dwsonar wrote:
And that's not me in the pic, but lots of people make that mistake.
How about taking another pic of you standing beside him so we can see the similarity? :cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
imported post

wpgfire wrote:
dwsonar wrote:
And that's not me in the pic, but lots of people make that mistake.
How about taking another pic of you standing beside him so we can see the similarity? :cheesygrin:
How would we know who is who? :cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

Did you get a change to go into the Museum..How is it ??

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Beautiful day out today so I got a chance to add a few more:

Steinbach - The Automobile City

St Malo - Whitetail Deer - site of the only successful relocation program of whitetails in Canada.

LaBroquerie - heart of Manitoba's dairy country

Grunthal - Bison - official provincial beast

I'm up to 7 mascots. 4 (prev. pts.) + 7 (4 pics + 3 w. me in them)= 11 points

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.