Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I picked this up on the 1800 riders board, in a post by Max McAllister. All credit to Max for this information:

"I had mentioned we would be doing a complete comparison of the 2012 and pre-2012 suspension on the Wing so you could have the straight facts on how the new bike is equipped.

Get ready:

Literally, almost nothing changed.

All spring rates are the same.
All internal parts are the same.
All external parts are the same.
All damping curves are the same.

For all intents and purposes, there is absolutely no suspension related reason to buy a 2012 wing.

We were able to find three small changes:

1. They just simply poured thicker oil into the forks.

This gives the impression that the forks are "Stiffer". They are absolutely completely identical in every other way to the previous bike. The oil is so thick, that it makes the anti-dive HORRIBLE.

There is also no magic fork bushings in them either. They are exactly the same as before.

2. The shock spring was coiled in a way that saves material (money) and results in a lighter weight spring. The rate is exactly the same (within 3%). From a ride standpoint.... exactly the same.

3. The lower triple clamp has a piece of web installed under it so that it is not hollow any more. However, they inserted it "in line" with the front and rear edges of the clamp... which results in no noticeable increase in stiffness. It needs to be at a 45degree angle to "triangulate" the structure to add stiffness. In reality, this just added weight! Again, no noticeable change.

Oddly, the bike has a new rear tire on it that I will call a "motorcar" tire, as it seems to be a hybrid motorcycle/car tire. It is already very flat in the center when brand new.

As a result the new bike is much worse at slow speed turns than previous bikes, just because of the tire. It wants to "fold up" and tip over on a very tight turn at slow speed. You have to physically hold the bars to stop if from doing that. We swapped a rear wheel and put a conventional rear tire on the bike we had here, and it fixed that problem instantly."

·
Happy Goldwinger
778 Posts
imported post

"2. The shock spring was coiled in a way that saves material
3. The lower triple clamp has a piece of web installed under it so that it is not hollow any more.
Oddly, the bike has a new rear tire on it that I will call a "motorcar" tire...."

I wouldn't call that "nothing changed" JW. Honda said the suspension was revised, and those little changes are the revisions.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

i read all that over there. the poster makes his living with after market suspensions. so he has a vested interested in making his 'claims'.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,581 Posts
imported post

This is a scan from Rider magazine:

I don't believe they haveany vested interest. This is of course out of context but the overall feeling of the testers in the article was that the bike (2012 model) handled better than previous years.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Ahh so Honda has gone to the darkside also Very interesting.
Wilf

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

That article mentions new form bushings, but Max says they are exactly the same as before. Which one is right?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,581 Posts
imported post

FitzAl wrote:
That article mentions new form bushings, but Max says they are exactly the same as before. Which one is right?
The magazine testsI've readall said the bike handled better. Max dissagrees and said it handled poorly.

Why would the testers agree? There's nothing to be gained.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.