Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well I can tell you that laying the 2012 Wing down to swap the rear tire works just fine even with the bigger bags... same procedure as any other GL1800.

JW

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
imported post

R U Serious??
how did you do this without damaging your back? not to mention the bike?

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
imported post

R U Serious??
how did you do this without damaging your back? not to mention the bike?

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

If I could afford a 2012 Wing...... I could afford to take it to a garage and have them do the work before Id lay one down. I have seen that done before and after pulling mine off my 1200, I can't see where it's beneficial. The 1800's must be a lot different.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

No big deal, however when home I use my HF Motorcycle jack. It's quick and stable when strapped down. I have read that some driver foot peg "cast mounts" have got cracked and later broke away, possibly from using the lay down method on hard surfaces. Just something to be aware of. Besides.... we should all parctice picking the big boy up a couple times.... just incase it tips over in public!!!

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

jobe05 wrote:
If I could afford a 2012 Wing...... I could afford to take it to a garage and have them do the work before Id lay one down. I have seen that done before and after pulling mine off my 1200, I can't see where it's beneficial. The 1800's must be a lot different.
the1800 has a single sided swing arm .

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
imported post

I never dropped my 1100. But once I was cut off at very low speed and laid down my 1500 and stepped out of the way. I was in a parking lot. The lady in the minivan was very apologetic......and offered to help me pick it up. Fortunately, I had tried it a few times in controlled conditions after someone hit my 1500 and I picked it up kind of the hard way and hurt my back.

The fifteen will fall over on you and you will not be able to stop it if she passes that certain point. Best to just let her go down slow. Then you can simply pick her up and be on your way. Those like myself who are honest about it will tell you that there is a very good chance you will drop the bike if you plan on owning it for a while. Honda knew this and took care of any damage from a simple drop with the guards. I recommend trying it. Once your comfortable you can do it in the work parking lot and act surprised. Then give a lesson on your independence. LOL.....

RED

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

I've laid mine over 4 times so far. Not a bit of problem. Just be sure to leave in 1st gear, and deploy the side stand afore uprighting. I can do the whole job in 15 mins or less.

Use the Boyd method to pick back up. No fluids spill at all.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
imported post

I can't believe what I just saw, I just can't believe it !! no way !
but then I don't think this applies to my 1984, right?

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I have been fortunate, and in 35 years of riding, have never dropped a bike. I consider dropping a street bike an actual accident. I have dropped dirt bikes many times. I would never, under anything other than life of death circumstances, purposely lay a bike down, unless it was a total beater. All Goldwings have centerstands, and there is a proper way to remove the wheels while it is safely on the centerstand.

Just watched the video, and think I am going to be sick. I would never in a million years do something like that to a new $25,000+ motorcycle, unless like I said, it was a matter of life or death.

I have always changed my own tires, and currently have the rear wheel off my '85 LTD. But the bike is sitting safely on the centerstand.

If you should "accidentally" drop a Goldwing, notice how they only go over about 45 degrees. I picked up my boss's then nearly new 1500 by myself, not that difficult, but the guards on the left side had to be replaced due to damage caused when they hit the concrete floor.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Well I can afford it but I can not justify shop rates of $85.00 an hour and they want 1.5 hours for a rear tire swap!!!

If you want to you can pull the rear section and the power amp box while on the center stand and pull the tire out the back. That took me about an hour once, laying her down takes me 15-20minutes.

Also once the wing is on its side and the center stand pulled out the only thing hitting the floor is the front and rear crash bars and the right leg of the center stand. Nothing else not even the foot peg.

JW

·
Administrator
26,563 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:
I have been fortunate, and in 35 years of riding, have never dropped a bike.
That is not fortunate, it is just plain strange. Kind of a christening to lay it down and get it over with. I won't hurt it one little bit to lay it down on a piece of carpet or something.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I can't afford it, but I couldn't afford to take the chance of laying a bike on it's side either. I would be absolutely paranoid about getting a scratch on such a beautiful and expensive bike. I would take the whole bike apart to get to the wheel before I would do that.

I have always done my own work, including tires, IMO there is simply no way to justify dealer rates (which around here are $100 per hour) to have anything done, and in most cases they do more damage than good. I wouldn't be surprised if dealers aren't using that method to remove rear wheels. There is a reason why they won't let you back there.

Something else about that bothers me. While I have never dropped a street bike, I have dropped a couple of dual sport bikes, with oil lights, and when I picked them up and restarted them, it took an awfully long time for the light to go out. I have also read about this on many motorcycle forums. Seems the oil pump loses prime when a bike is laid over. Does the engine run all that time with no oil pressure? Does this happen on a Goldwing?

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Oil light never comes on, I usually get the bike back on the center stand and let it sit for a few minutes while putting the tools away before I start her up.

·
Administrator
26,563 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if dealers aren't using that method to remove rear wheels. There is a reason why they won't let you back there.

Something else about that bothers me. While I have never dropped a street bike, I have dropped a couple of dual sport bikes, with oil lights, and when I picked them up and restarted them, it took an awfully long time for the light to go out. I have also read about this on many motorcycle forums. Seems the oil pump loses prime when a bike is laid over. Does the engine run all that time with no oil pressure? Does this happen on a Goldwing?
Dealers have lifts to do it on so they don't need to lay it down. And the reason for not allowing customers in the shop is partly for insurance reasons and mostly because they get it the way and bother the heck out of the techs. At work there is a glass door customers can look through but if they come out and start bothering me I stop working and go take a break. I have mellowed some so I don't usually threaten them any more.

I never heard of anyone leaving the engine running when laying 1 down and the bank angle sensor will kill the engine anyway. The oil pump is in the very bottom of the sump and picks up oil instantly when stood up and restarted. If I was that paranoid about my bike I would leave it parked inside and never ride it. I didn't get 98,000 miles on my present bike in 3 1/2 years along with a few drops because I was afraid to scratch it.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
imported post

jobe05 wrote:
They are, the rear wheel is held on with 5 lug bolts.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

The only naysayers are the ones who haven't done it. Like Dave said, doesn't hurt a thing. And, with the Boyd method, not difficult to get on it's feet. I wouldn't try to upright it if I just got out of a back operation, tho.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.