Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well, its time! Time to choose a location and date for the "end of the world JAMR"!:ROFL:

We try to move it around on the coast so that availability changes from year to year. Last year was Oregon, and WA the year before was the site. I would recommend Northern CA this year, perhaps the Redwoods again.

Is there anyone who wants to take up the point on this, scout some locations, get some facts, so's we can run it up the flagpole and see who salutes?

If there are no takers, I will... Doesnt have to be me, though.

Also, I would suggest that the date be discussed...

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

Thank you Dick for bringing this up. You are right on time.

I am game for any location and I enjoy the Redwoods but I really enjoyed Rattlesnake Pass.... south of Lewiston / Clarkston. Highway 129 / Oregon 3 to Enterprise is on the top 15 AMA motorcycle roads in the US.

That area of the country in June usually is good weather and Hells Canyon area is right there.

Heading east on Hiway 12 is Lolo Pass. It is 210 miles one way.... round trip would be a good day's ride. Map That area has so much motorcycling roads to explore.

Good camping and motels too.

My suggestion would be Lewiston / Clarkston area.

Also.... the date: On that side of the mountains.... June is usually perfect weather for camping and riding. On the west side of the mountains... to ensure good weather, one has to pick July or August.

Earlier is better to me.

August is out for me. I am heading to Sturgis and another meet and greet at Glacier's Highway to the Sun....from a different forum in August... Sturgis is 6-12 August. My plan is to ride west before Sturgis through Lolo Pass and then on to Sturgis for one night......then off to eastern South Dakota for a short family visit, then back to Glacier for the meet and greet and then home on highway 2.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Good suggestions. Whatever is the most popular destination, will be the one chosen.

I would like to find the perfect spot that is shortest ride for as many people as possible...

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

UBarW wrote:
Good suggestions. Whatever is the most popular destination, will be the one chosen.

I would like to find the perfect spot that is shortest ride for as many people as possible...
Are you getting soft or is that seat too hard? I had to look at the name of this forum again... Goldwing Facts. These bikes eat up the miles. :waving:

By the way, I posted on the 2011 meeting so if there are folks watching the old one, they will show up here soon.

It doesn't matter to me.... the fellowship and a ride to and fro is what is important.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

August is also out for me.....I am making a trip with friends to Banff/Jasper National parks during the first 3 weeks.

I'm fine with whatever area in the Western US that we can get to in a days ride.

I love the South Western Oregon/North Western CA area, very beautiful and great motorcycle roads. But so is North Eastern Oregon, however that may be a bit far for some of the southern CA guys to get to in one day.

Henry

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Although I won't be attending this upcomingyear's event, here are a couple of my suggestions -

http://g.co/maps/85jhz

Have fun you guys/gals! :waving:

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Although I won't be attending this upcomingyear's event, here are a couple of my suggestions -

http://g.co/maps/85jhz

Have fun you guys/gals! :waving:
I am gonna have to try the Lewis and Clark campground out for sure. Thanks for the recommendation.

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

I'd like to see it above the 49th(we are just 3miles above Blaine, Wa)but that is only because I don't have a passport. I asked what our rates for the front field (with large pavillion that has grills & refrigerators & full hydro), & was told it would be $300.00/day Cnd. First off from what I have read about other M&G's there may not enough demand for camping for that to be plausible & there are a # of motels but in the area of 3-10 miles away. But the biggest disadvantage to this area is that the riding is akin to any large city suburbs anywhere N/A. Mind you Chilliwack ( the site of Rambo, first blood), would be a fabulous area for those day rides that most like to do. Anyway, If I can get my passport renewed this year, I wouls like to try and make it. As most of you all know, this past 1.5 years has been a bust for me financially.:badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

I'm open to whatever but was kind of looking forward to Northern Cali as we talked about after last year's event. I've not been to Yosemite and the Sequoias yet, so I figured I would take that in with this year's gathering and that would obviously make the Redwoods a more favorable location for that side adventure. Time frame is pretty much wide open for me at the moment. I might be doing the Hell's canyon area the first weekend of June so if we plan that area I would probably only do it once, which would be for the WCWJAMR.

John

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Larry, the reason for watching the miles, is in relation to where the riders are. Going all the way to one end or the other makes it hard for some. In the middle, more folks can join us. On the other hand, moving it around is good.

I like California idea this year. Wa, Or, so now CA... Of course the Idaho would be sweet, but that is a stretch for those in CA...

Just looking for consensus. I may be "Dick" but I aint a "Dick-tator":ROFL::shock:

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

I don't have a map with stick pins where all of the west coast riders are. I do know where you reside, as I saw the sign as I passed by it two weeks ago.

I do know that traveling east, we pick up some from that direction.

Mox Nix to me.... I will hold my breath and go where ever the round up is. You asked for suggestions.... that is what I gave ya. No worries.

Clarkston / Livingston ........ middle of June is my vote.

Baker City is good too in June and is a stone's throw closer to eastern Oregon.

As John said..... Yosemite and the Sequoias is good.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
imported post

We have never done this before but my brother and are interested in joining you. June is usually a good time to ride. Let us know and we will try to meet you where ever you decide to go. The run into the redwoods is beautiful and lots of good roads to run. We have talked about the Hells Canyon run also.
Bill:action:

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

Ogrebro wrote:
We have never done this before but my brother and are interested in joining you. June is usually a good time to ride. Let us know and we will try to meet you where ever you decide to go. The run into the redwoods is beautiful and lots of good roads to run. We have talked about the Hells Canyon run also.
Last year was my first year and I felt welcomed like I was a part of this forever. Do join us.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Ogrebro wrote:
Would love to have you guys join us Bill!

Henry, me too! :cheesygrin:

John

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
imported post

Hello all.

I'm excited to see that you folks are stilldiscussing a trip thru the redwoods. As I mentioned in the last thread I livenear Eureka,Ca in redwood country and would love to tag along for a few days if you folks venture this way.

I can also help with advice on scenic routes, best places to eat\sleep, making reservationsetc. I've been riding these parts for years and am familiar with the area.

Keep in mind that if you plan on June that is when the annual Redwood Run is always scheduled. This year it's the weekend of June 8th. http://www.cyclefish.com/event/193/ It's a large motorcycle rally that usually has 90% Harleys. Camping and other facilities may be difficult to findand traffic will be an issue. On the plus side there's lots going on andthere will be lots of other bikes to check out.

Your call.

Let me know if I can help and I will check back often,

Tracy

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Hey Blulakr, thanks for weighing in... it also serves as a bump up on the thread list!

I think we would end up in the August/september range... thats been the historic timeframe, anyways. We want to find a date that will work as much as possible in conjuction the NASSIR dates...

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
imported post

From looking at those that have responded so far it looks like most folks will be coming from the north and may prefer to stay near Crescent City. While the Crescent City area certainly has beautiful redwood groves and beach areas, it's almost always cold there. Daytime highs usually in the 60's and often cloudy\foggy.I rode thru there last August on my way to Medfordand froze my a$$ off until I was well inland on 199.:shock:

IMHO between Fortuna and Garberville are the best areas to view the redwoods. Especially along hwy 36 and also Ave of the Giants http://avenueofthegiants.net/

Just my $.02

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.