Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am the owner of a 2013 F6B.
I’ve had the bike since 2014 buying it from the original owner with only 3000 miles on it at the time.

Currently the bike has 40,000 miles on it. I would have to say All Around this is the best motorcycle I have ever owned.

However, a couple of years ago I started to notice while cruising in fifth I would get an occasional clunk. More recently that clunk has progressed to where 5th gear is no longer usable making all kinds of bad noise but only in that gear.

I have only used Honda oil and filters from the day I purchased it as well as the previous owner. I currently have the bike stripped down to the bare frame and scheduled to bring it in for a transmission rebuild within the next week or two to a very reputable Honda mechanic on Long Island where I live.

I have read on some of the forums that in 2014 the transmission was redesigned.
Does anybody have any info they can pass along to help with this issue?

Also would getting gears undercut help with holding gears under load and reliability?

Even though bike is out of warranty has anyone had any luck getting some relief from Honda? From what I have been reading I am not the only one having transmission issues with their Wings.

The reason I purchased this in the first place was because of such great reliability ratings the Goldwing has.

I will keep everybody posted about how this goes.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Hello I am the owner of a 2013 F6B. I’ve had the bike since 2014 buying it from the original owner with only 3000 miles on it at the time. Currently the bike has 40,000 miles on it. I would have to say All Around this is the best motorcycle I have ever owned. However, a couple of years ago I started to notice while cruising in fifth I would get an occasional clunk. More recently that clunk has progressed to where 5th gear is no longer usable making all kinds of bad noise but only in that gear. I have only used Honda oil and filters from the day I purchased it as well as the previous owner. I currently have the bike stripped down to the bare frame and scheduled to bring it in for a transmission rebuild within the next week or two to a very reputable Honda mechanic on Long Island where I live.
I have read on some of the forums that in 2014 the transmission was redesigned. Does anybody have any info they can pass along to help with this issue? Also would getting gears undercut help with holding gears under load and reliability? Even though bike is out of warranty has anyone had any luck getting some relief from Honda? From what I have been reading I am not the only one having transmission issues with their Wings. The reason I purchased this in the first place was because of such great reliability ratings the Goldwing has. I will keep everybody posted about how this goes.
It is not likely an issue with gear mesh because that would be evident in all gears. Every gear in the transmissin is in mesh at all times. I suspect an engagement issue like a fork failure.

·
Registered
476 Posts
possibly the dogs broken off the gear, in my opinion you are whistling in the wind hoping for Honda to help, you will have enough of a problem just getting parts, a salvage engine may well be cheaper and easier. My local Honda dealer took 18 months to locate gearbox parts for a 1500 and they came from just about every continent(except the icy ones!!)

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
possibly the dogs broken off the gear, in my opinion you are whistling in the wind hoping for Honda to help, you will have enough of a problem just getting parts, a salvage engine may well be cheaper and easier. My local Honda dealer took 18 months to locate gearbox parts for a 1500 and they came from just about every continent(except the icy ones!!)
But 1500s have been out of production for 22 years. And due to the relatively small number of failures they are not likely to help.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
This is a 2013 F6B. How did mention of 1500s get started?

Did I miss something?

Rayjoe

·
Registered
476 Posts
True Dave, it was over 5 years ago. Simply making the point that swopping the complete engine is way less labour and with the cost of parts to do the job frequently cheaper, ive done a few fours and they are bad enough to do never mind two extra pots

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I still confused?
What was over 5 years ago?

Am I reading these posts out of sequence?

Rayjoe

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
This is a 2013 F6B. How did mention of 1500s get started?

Did I miss something?

Rayjoe
What happened, was that Brian mentioned how long it took to get parts for his personal 1500 many years ago.
that should have been left out of the post, but it is Pertinent is explaining that Searching for parts is a Nightmare.

Doing a complete Engine Swap is far easier, and probably just as cheap, or maybe even cheaper because if a mechanic has to be hired to repair a transmission, the Per Hour labor costs will go through the roof.

So, IF, you have the skills to take an engine apart, replace the bad gears, then looking for parts can be worthwhile.

But, spare engine parts are almost impossible to find... Spare Engines on the other hand, show up every day as a result of "Totalled out crash bikes"

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Thanks for explanation! I was beginning to think it was time for me to get an alzheimer's test.:(

I agree swapping an engine is easier and less money but I'm surprised that the transmission would fail with so low miles.

Thanks again,

Rayjoe

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for explanation! I was beginning to think it was time for me to get an alzheimer's test.:(

I agree swapping an engine is easier and less money but I'm surprised that the transmission would fail with so low miles.

Thanks again,

Rayjoe
I've got a used 08 with 77000 miles on it . Recently it has developed a clunk in fifth after engaging. I've learned to hit fifth at 36 mph (or so) on a coast and kind of message the lever into engaging slowly. Seems to help but I dont know for how long. I gave 7 grand for the bike and I love it but I dont think I could ever justify a transmission rebuild expense. I completely agree that the transmission is the weak link and perhaps honda engineers need to rethink it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've got a used 08 with 77000 miles on it . Recently it has developed a clunk in fifth after engaging. I've learned to hit fifth at 36 mph (or so) on a coast and kind of message the lever into engaging slowly. Seems to help but I dont know for how long. I gave 7 grand for the bike and I love it but I dont think I could ever justify a transmission rebuild expense. I completely agree that the transmission is the weak link and perhaps honda engineers need to rethink it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After doing some research on my own, I could see that Honda used two different shift drums and forks and gears with different part numbers in 2013. Then in the 2014 through 2017 models they used a different shift drum, Forks, and other internal’s such as gears. That tells me that they knew they had a problem in 2013 and corrected it in the later models. Waiting for my mechanic to get me in and he will look into possibly updating the transmission with the newer parts if that is at all possible. Has anyone had a transmission problem on a 2014 through 2017 F6B? Thank you.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Give GoldWing Greg a call at Just Wings. He has done a ton of 1800 trans work and knows all the ins and outs and what's what.
Just Wings
I agree, Greg has rebuilt/repaired more 1800 trannys than anyone in the country. He has the new gear‘s dogs undercut, but there was an update to some of the gears for the 2014 and later models due to what he calls ghost shifting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I never experienced a ghost shifting issue. It always held whatever gear I selected. I will give him a call and see what he suggests. Thank you

·
Registered
456 Posts
I don't know much about a 1800 but this is a F6b not the 1800. So my question is the transmission the same as the 1800. Do they have the same gear ratio. Would you have to find a F6b engine for a swap or would the 1800 motor work fine.

I'm just asking because I don't know. Thanks

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
I don't know much about a 1800 but this is a F6b not the 1800. So my question is the transmission the same as the 1800. Do they have the same gear ratio. Would you have to fine a F6b engine for a swap or would the 1800 motor work fine. I'm just asking because I don't know. Thanks
They are the same thing. An F6B is just a goldwing without the trunk, reverse, cruise control and some other things.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts