Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
I like it! I definitely cannot afford 1. Probably wait two or three years to pick up a used one. By then they should be around 13 or 14,000 dollars. That being said, I do like the look of it!

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Hey Jerry
I own a 79 1000 a 1100 and a 1500. I bought the 1000 as my first wing and realy my first bike 4 yrs ago. It was a standard. I have since put a vetter ss fairing on it. and the bags and trunk from the 1100 interstate on it.
It is simply the best motorcycle I own. I love the looks of it and mostly I love riding it.
The 1500 was probly a better deal as ive had it for 2 yrs and only changed oil and added gas.
I feel the 1500 is pretty much a Honda civic. and the 1000 is a motorcycle.
The 80 interstate was fully loaded when I got it and I feel Honda toke vetter's fairing and killed it. Way to much insulation from the wind and road. Bringing motorcycling to those who really weren't motorcyclist's but more civic types.
I would really love to have a new version of my 1000 with updated technology but same size and style.
wilf
Oh and the 1500 has a great stereo and speakers in the helmet and I use them all the time I ride the bike. I put a vetter stereo sound in the 1000 a time but toke it out as I hated to wreak a good bike ride listening to music! That's for the Civic oh I mean 1500!!
Wilf

I do indeed feel like the 1500 and 1800 are a bit to much like 2 wheeled cars for me. I want comfort, but I do not want to lose the motorcycle experience. My 1200 was pretty decent after I replaced the original sun destroyed stock windshield with a narrower Slipstreamer one from JC Whitney. Enough air comes around it to let you know you are out in the open. I also removed all the gadgets, none of which worked anyway. I was pretty happy with it, but unfortunately it is currently broken down, and it is beginning to look like it might not be fixable.

That CB1100 is a beauty, but my guess is that it is all looks, and will ride, sound, and feel just like any other modern motorcycle-boring. I have ridden an early SOHC CB750, and it was not boring. It vibrated, and had a very throaty roar to it, with the four into four exhaust. I'm expecting the new one to be the PT Cruiser of motorcycles, it mimics the look, but without the substance.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
I predict its gonna sell well...

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Well being new to the wing world (GL 1500) I was all fired up on this new one, but Ive since cooled...I will either keep my 97 or maybe get a newer model and add the MBL sport kit...so I can retain all the bells and whistles....:?

http://www.mblinnovations.com/sports_kit.html

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
I like the bike. Can a trunk be added to it without it looking like a bungy corded scooter box on the back of a vintage 750?

My girl friend loves the feel of the co-cockpit on my 1500. On a trip around the north cascades last summer, my 11 year old nephew fell asleep on the back. That ain't gonna happen on the new Wing.

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
Interesting bike - from the pictures its not for me but I could see it appealing to allot of folks.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I prefer the 1980-1987 1100 and 1200 Interstates because of their smaller size, simplicity, and especially their lack of fuel injection or engine related electronics. I also like their looks. But I'm getting to be an old man now, and riding (in comfort) is starting to take precedence over wrenching. I've always liked cruisers, and this looks like a cross between a cruiser and a touring bike. It has the proven Goldwing engine, and it does not look like a copy of something else. I ride alone, not 2 up, so I can see it holding enough for me for several days anyway. I would probably strap a barrel bag to the back. It also looks comfortable, but I wish it were a bit lighter. It should still have a log COG though, with the engine and gas tank down low.

I like that windshield, and wish I could get one for my 1200, or for a 1500 if I wind up with one of those. I actually like a little wind in the face, my full face helmet works pretty good even on bikes with no windshield up to about 70 mph.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
I liked it when I first saw it, but after seeing the Honda promotional video, I'm not so sure. I've always loved the Goldwing for the "loaded" look and feel, but in some shots it just left me saying "that guy just didn't want a Goldwing".

I don't think I'd want to go ride it for a few hundred in the interstate, which I do more than anything else. The windshield wouldn't be enough, and I would miss the trunk, not to mention my rear speakers. I bet it handles like a dream in the twisties, but I wouldn't think of this as a touring motorcycle.

Overall, I'm a bit conflicted. I don't think it's the bike for me.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I liked it when I first saw it, but after seeing the Honda promotional video, I'm not so sure. I've always loved the Goldwing for the "loaded" look and feel, but in some shots it just left me saying "that guy just didn't want a Goldwing".

I don't think I'd want to go ride it for a few hundred in the interstate, which I do more than anything else. The windshield wouldn't be enough, and I would miss the trunk, not to mention my rear speakers. I bet it handles like a dream in the twisties, but I wouldn't think of this as a touring motorcycle.

Overall, I'm a bit conflicted. I don't think it's the bike for me.
Well I'm a solo traveler so the trunk wouldn't be an issue, and overall I like the look of it.

The only downside for me is as mentioned, eg, the windshield looks cosmetic, not useful. Looks like all the rain and wind would hit the bottom of the helmet and be constantly forcing it up and rain would be right in your face.

Put a little taller shield on it (aftermarket) and it works for me, but just don't happen to have 20 grand laying around now.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
I absolutely love the looks of that bike.I know baggers aren't for everyone,but if I rode by myself and had the money I'd buy one in a heartbeat.I don't normally og out of my way to ride new bikes,but I'll be looking for somewhere(demo ride) to try this one out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The New Wing

I saw what I though was the concept version of this new bike a few years back and figured it would be just a matter of time before becoming a reality. I liked the look then and just plain love it now. If I were ready for a new bike I would definitely get one but for now I am still happily courting my 07!

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
If you don't currently have a Goldwing, then this bike should be your first test drive. You'll probably fall in love with it.
However, if you have a Goldwing now or have had them for many years like I've had, then you'll just have to wait until you have $20K to buy this as an ADDITIONAL bike.

Once you own a Goldwing, you'll always regret leaving the fold of Goldwing ownership, but this bagger will certainly be my 2nd bike in the garage whenever I can afford one.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
As I mentioned Im cooling on it, but definitely want to see one in person..being new to the Wing World, lack of reverse maybe a deal breaker for me...1500 is a bear to move around...it would take some scrounging but I could purchase one....

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
As I mentioned Im cooling on it, but definitely want to see one in person..being new to the Wing World, lack of reverse maybe a deal breaker for me...1500 is a bear to move around...it would take some scrounging but I could purchase one....
I thought it had reverse as an option. honda wants an extra 1000 bucks for it. I am not at all cool with them taking standard options and making you pay for them. I posted earlier that I dislike the loss of storage and the way the windshield looks.

the bike looks too bulky for the "look" they are trying to get. I think they should have used the vtx platform for this type of bike not the goldwing. and I am not talking about the 1300 vtx.....bring back the vtx 1800.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
If you don't currently have a Goldwing, then this bike should be your first test drive. You'll probably fall in love with it.
However, if you have a Goldwing now or have had them for many years like I've had, then you'll just have to wait until you have $20K to buy this as an ADDITIONAL bike.

Once you own a Goldwing, you'll always regret leaving the fold of Goldwing ownership, but this bagger will certainly be my 2nd bike in the garage whenever I can afford one.
Totally agree!
Wouldn't give up the Wing for touring with the wife,but I'd love to have one.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.