Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, same old game, but is anyone having good luck with their Ontario insurance this year :?:?

·
Registered
45 Posts
insurance

What are your rates like in Ontario? They kinda want you to bend over and grab ankles here in Manitoba, and then don't even give you a kiss. I'm probably looking at over a grand for a 30 year old bike with a maximum insured value of $4000.And you pay the bulk of it between May and September.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Mine went from $640 last year to $750 this year Bob with no real reason for it(no tickets or claims).That is for basic with TD as I have to have an appraisal to get any extra coverage.Wife didn't tell me about the increase when it came in,so I haven't called them yet.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Paying about $500 for basis coverage here in eastern Ontario.
88 GL1500 - no collision ans stuff. Figure by too old to bother with paying the extra, by the time you take off the deductible, their payout really likely isn't worth the extra $$$ coverage.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Last year I paid just under $800 for full coverage on my 03.
I haven't received my renewal for this year yet but I expect tit to be about the same.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm with Jevco, last year paid $800.00 for the Wing & $550.00 for the Shadow last year - both basic coverage. My quotes this year are up $200.00 for the wing .............:wtf:

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Jeez guys. That's enough to make you wanna go to war like an American. I have full coverage for $381 with Progressive. How do you Canadians do it?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
At least Ontario riders have the option to shop around. Rates still not that great BUT the rates out here in monopoly-land are ridiculous. I won't bore you with Manitoba's highest rates in the world but now Saskatchewan seems to have caught on to the fact that they can get away with raping bike owners. Take a look at their new proposed rates:

http://www.sgi.sk.ca/pdf/rateproposal/Aug31-2013/motorcycles_LV.pdf

The proposed rate for 1500s will be between $1400-$1800/year and the 1800s will set you back $1800-$2100/year. At least those are ANNUAL rates and you may minimize the costs by only insuring during the riding season. Our rates in Manitoba are comparable but are paid over 5 months. Non-riding months you pay storage insurance cost only. Basically doubles the cost. :lash:

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well got the final good (2013 invoice) news today

Same coverage - basic PL/PD - JEVCO (Intact)- Southland Insurance
'96 GL1500 / '84 Shadow
2011 - $733.00 / $504.00 = $1237.00
2012 - $800.00 / $552.00 = $1352.00
2013 - $988.00 / $678.00 = $1666.00 :wtf::wtf: :?

I'm open to suggestions & referrals this is a separate policy not including any other vehicles or house. :waving:

Just got off the phone with Riders Plus ------ tack on another $400.00 :wtf::wtf: maybe I need a US address :ssshh:

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Full coverage for me with Echelon Ins. was $1000.00..renewal comes up in June....curious to see what it will do....insurance rates are sickening. Clean driving record, another year of experience under the belt every year, the bike getting older every year....and yet the rates go up every year.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Full coverage for me with Echelon Ins. was $1000.00..renewal comes up in June....curious to see what it will do....insurance rates are sickening. Clean driving record, another year of experience under the belt every year, the bike getting older every year....and yet the rates go up every year.
Brace yourself, Echelon was the last one with an extra $400.00 tacked on...;)

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
I did the Riders Plus and Echelon thing. Both them started at roughly $600 for full coverage and both of them had doubled in 2 years.Back to TD/Primmum.I started with them back in the late 80's when it was Canada Life.No body could touch their price for bikes or sleds for a lot of years.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Move to BC.:sadguy:
$1,000.00 is minimum for basic coverage on a bike 1,000CC or greater and that's with a 40% discount for being a safe driver (no claims).

I've not looked into collision and comprehensive coverage as I can't afford what I'm paying now.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Doesn't help that a lot of insurance companies don't even want to deal with bikes, considering them too much risk. Less competion, more that you can charge what the market will bear.
Many years ago (80's), insurance for bikes was somewhat reasonable compared to cars.
I know accidents occur maney different ways accross the population of drivers. But, I blame the advent of the crotch rockets and inexperienced (irrepsonsible) drivers pasting themselves all over the highway driving overly high powered machines. Who really 'needs' a machine that will go 250+ kph.
Seemed like after these bikes came out, that was when the rates seemed to climb.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not to disagree with you Winger but I was told the exact opposite by an agent last year. They were finding too many "Old Baby Boomers" starting to ride late in life with poor health and reflex responses.
The insurance industry is like the gas monopoly, they write new excuses every hour. :sadguy:

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well final update.,,,,,,,,,,,, Basic PL/PD Both Bikes.

Intact/Jevco $1666.00
Riders Plus and Echelon - $2000.00
Primum TD $1197.00
Mantha $1069.00 - (#613-746-1450 x 275, ask for the "'Cougar")

:claps::claps::waving:

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Not to disagree with you Winger but I was told the exact opposite by an agent last year. They were finding too many "Old Baby Boomers" starting to ride late in life with poor health and reflex responses.
The insurance industry is like the gas monopoly, they write new excuses every hour. :sadguy:
You know they're lying when their lips are moving.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.