Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2015 GL1800
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow riders, has anyone had a problem with an 1800 throttle dropping off then surging back on when the engine is cold? This happens when the engine is cold(ish) I’m in So CA. Had the bike in the shop the last 6 days and I’ve paid $300+ to change 6 plugs so far, American Honda has told the mechanic to do an oil change ($160) do a leak down test ($200) a compression test $200+) without even mentioning the throttle body position sensor.
Anybody else have something like this happen?
Steve M

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
:confused:
I'm still absorbing the "when the engine is cold(ish) I’m in So CA." So that's like 70 degrees?

I have never noticed a surging on my 2015 and it has been what I consider cold a handful of times. The first thing I would do is an ECM reset. Otherwise, unless it caused some drivability issue, I'd ignore it.

·
Administrator
29,136 Posts
Hey fellow riders, has anyone had a problem with an 1800 throttle dropping off then surging back on when the engine is cold? This happens when the engine is cold(ish) I’m in So CA. Had the bike in the shop the last 6 days and I’ve paid $300+ to change 6 plugs so far, American Honda has told the mechanic to do an oil change ($160) do a leak down test ($200) a compression test $200+) without even mentioning the throttle body position sensor.
Anybody else have something like this happen?
Steve M
Get it away from them ASAP, they obviously don't know what they are doing. Sounds like a sticking idle control valve to me.

Reactions: Nitrowing

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
960 Posts
That was an inherent problem on the 2012-2013. My 2012 did it for quite a while. Scared the crap out of me during a slow speed turn while the engine was cold. One thing you can try, start the engine while cold and let it run until the fans cycle twice. Don't touch the throttle. Mine has not the past 9 years. Has something to do with the ECM forcing the engine to run lean when cold.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts