Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Goldwing to Muscleman Honda, in Tucson this morning, to have my back tire replaced.

I went in the showroom to drool over their chrome. I really like the CB1100 EX. It's a really well designed retro vertical four.

A salesman and I started talking Goldwings. They had two 2018s on the floor, as well as a couple of new previous year models.

After a bit, the salesman mentioned that they had a 2018 to test ride. At first, I declined, telling him I wasn't in the market. He suggested I take it out anyway.

What the heck. They hadn't even started on my bike yet.

I gotta say I was impressed with some aspects of the new bike. It's handling in parking lots and on twisty roads is a lot better than my 2016. It felt a lot lighter than I expected with the 110 lbs difference. Also, the walking forward and reverse is far superior to the previous Goldwing reverse.

Alternatively, I prefer my seat comfort and windshield/faring coverage, better than the new Goldwing.

I was mixed on the DCT. It was nice while tooling on the highway, but less so on the twisty roads.

My short test ride take away is that I'd get one, if I could justify and afford a stable of motorcycles. The new Goldwing would be my goto for trips around town and close to home. But my bigger Goldwing would still be my choice for longer highway rides and any multi day trips.

But then, if I could own a stable of bikes, I'd have a hard time deciding whether to buy the CB1100 EX first, or add another Goldwing. Retro frequently appeals to me and the 560 lb CB1100 is in an entirely different weight class than the Goldwings.

·
Administrator
24,800 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
A good portion of my riding is to-from work on that 15 mile parking lot called I-70, the traffic congestion is getting to where regardless of the bike water-cooled is a must!

I still see a lot of Hardleys out there, I wonder how many miles of that stop-go traffic they tolerate before having to do a top-end rebuild.....

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CB1100 EX

Me three, but I prefer the earlier dual muffler models with the cast rims.
Personal preference, but I'm opposite there. I like the spoke wheels and dual vs quad exhausts. I always thought the quad exhausts looked heavy and excessive. The spoke wheels bring the late 60s motorcycles to mind. I'm assuming they are still tubeless, but I haven't checked.

I remember a tube blowout while turning a corner on a CL350. I didn't go down, but it was a close thing.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oil Cooled

... regardless of the bike water-cooled is a must!
The CB1100 EX has a good size oil cooling radiator mounted above the exhaust header. There's no fan, that I saw, but it's a larger radiator than any of the aftermarket oil radiators I've seen added to Harley's.

I gotta stop. I might actually start thinking about getting one.

·
Administrator
21,981 Posts
Personal preference, but I'm opposite there. I like the spoke wheels and dual vs quad exhausts. I'm assuming they are still tubeless, but I haven't checked.
Nope, they're tube-type. That combined with the job of keeping the chain lube cleaned off the rear spokes is a deal breaker for me.

Just a little "too" retro.

I don't recall a 4-piper model. Single, or dual.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope, they're tube-type. That combined with the job of keeping the chain lube cleaned off the rear spokes is a deal breaker for me.

Just a little "too" retro.

I don't recall a 4-piper model. Single, or dual.
I'll admit to not being all that familiar with the larger vertical fours, but the early CB750s and smaller fours had four exhausts.

Tube tires are a deal breaker. Chain drive would be hard to go back to, but I considered it, briefly, for nostalgic reasons.

·
Administrator
24,800 Posts
The earlier, 2013 I think, had cast wheels, but it had a small fuel tank. They changed to spoke wheels and a larger tank in 2014. I definitely dislike tubes, if I was to buy a new one (most unlikely) I would try to find some tubeless wheels.

·
Administrator
21,981 Posts
I'll admit to not being all that familiar with the larger vertical fours, but the early CB750s and smaller fours had four exhausts.
I was referring to the CB1100 models. They had a single muffler, then a "Deluxe"? model came out with two mufflers. Both had cast wheels, as I recall.

The earlier, 2013 I think, had cast wheels, but it had a small fuel tank. They changed to spoke wheels and a larger tank in 2014. I definitely dislike tubes, if I was to buy a new one (most unlikely) I would try to find some tubeless wheels.
I think that the "Deluxe" model also had a larger tank.

The model doesn't seem to sell well, no matter which version is on the market. I think it's one of those cases where everyone (like us) gets nostalgic over some model that sells well in Europe, or looks good on paper.

But, when Honda pulls the trigger and offers the model here, we realize "that's a lot of money for a toy I'll only ride around town, or maybe once a month on a local twisty road".

Both things our 'Wings actually do very well already.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
But, when Honda pulls the trigger and offers the model here, we realize "that's a lot of money for a toy I'll only ride around town, or maybe once a month on a local twisty road".
Yeah, I’m safely past the urge.

Already have an SH150i, as well as the Wing. One of them is frequently sitting longer than I like, usually the scooter, these days.

I don’t mind a car sitting around, but, somehow, feel negligent when a cycle gets neglected, almost like having a dog that you don’t take for enough walks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts