Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday evening getting ready to leave work and the gold wing does not start at the touch of the start button. After dozens of attempts it finally does start and I ride the 26 miles home. Saturday morning I go out to check the bike again no start multiple times. Now I get my tester check the battery which shows good voltage but also shows no load when I press the start button. I'm questioning whether it is a relay or the start button. Narrow the search for the culprit I attempt to go through the start cycle without the key where I have to enter the code through the start button, by holding the button down for five seconds which should produce an audible beep and then go into program mode I never got a beep I cannot program I cannot punch in the numbers so I am thinking it is the start button in the right hand switch. Now I disassemble the switch get some spray lube and shoot it into the interior of that switch several times it begins to start intermittently but quite frequently.

Has anyone else seen heard or experienced a similar situation? I am in South Florida and have been riding in monsoon rains for about a week I am just wondering if the interior of that switch got wet and shorted out

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
If you listen carefully can you hear any relays clicking when you push the start button? The relays (solenoids) "A" and "B" should make a fairly loud click while the other relays are more like a "tink" you really have to listen for. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you listen carefully can you hear any relays clicking when you push the start button? The relays (solenoids) "A" and "B" should make a fairly loud click while the other relays are more like a "tink" you really have to listen for. :)
Silence no indication of any contact.

I can't see the relay with the seat off, anyone know where the starter relay is located?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Silence no indication of any contact.

I can't see the relay with the seat off, anyone know where the starter relay is located?
Also today, Sunday, I attempted to start at least 20 times with no reaction from the bike. Everything else works but the starter. Funny thing is yesterday afternoon it would start as often as not. The bike has just been sitting on the center stand not moved or touched

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Makes no difference if starting in neutral with clutch in etc?

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Are you sure you did exactly the right procedure to punch in the code? Did you try a new battery in the Smart Key? Easy things first. :cool:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you sure you did exactly the right procedure to punch in the code? Did you try a new battery in the Smart Key? Easy things first. :cool:

No clutch, it's auto, smart key battery is next. It should start with code on a dead key battery.
Everything else responds to the key and it won't begin the code sequence at the start button initiation. It did start yesterday a few times with the code when it would also start normally.
Seems the little red button isn't making contact. I tested for continuity but could only see the kill side of the switch. That was ok

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,187 Posts
this is an excellent contact cleaner, get it anywhere the box store is

and after you get the contacts clean and working, follow it up with this

a lot of Auto Supply stores also stock it.

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
Since it is a 2018 it IS still in warranty.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Yes it is under warranty for a long time yet, I was trying to get it fixed without the hassle of taking it to the dealer.
Thanks to all so far for the input
Beyond my knowledge. Anything else would just be a guess witout a schematic. Sorry, :(

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,758 Posts
I know many disagree but WD-40 is something most people have a can of. I have seen this work many times.

Spray some WD around the button and operate it 20 or 30 or 50 times and see if that helps. If it does you know you'll soon need to open up the housing to properly clean and lube the switch.

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
Beyond my knowledge. Anything else would just be a guess witout a schematic. Sorry, :(
Me too. The 2018+ doesn't have an actual starter, it is a starter generator. Doesn't have a start button either really, just the kill switch,you turn it on and it's supposed to start. No idea what kind of electronics are involved.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Me too. The 2018+ doesn't have an actual starter, it is a starter generator. Doesn't have a start button either really, just the kill switch,you turn it on and it's supposed to start. No idea what kind of electronics are involved.
Update...the kill switch rocks the opposite wat and hits an internal plunger button that is part of the transmission selector switch. After I opened the housing and separate the switches I see the plunger that activates the starter, it doesn’t work when depressed. I jump the switch and it starts . I have jumped in 2 wires that start the bike when touched together. I called local dealer and told them I had called last week with the issue and have found the problem, it is going in for warranty replacement... I hope. The switch failed in 2 years and 16,000 miles, should not be any question. I will update as this progresses. And again, thanks to all who offered assistance.
Has anyone else seen this in a 2018 and later wing?

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
Update...the kill switch rocks the opposite wat and hits an internal plunger button that is part of the transmission selector switch. After I opened the housing and separate the switches I see the plunger that activates the starter, it doesn’t work when depressed. I jump the switch and it starts . I have jumped in 2 wires that start the bike when touched together. I called local dealer and told them I had called last week with the issue and have found the problem, it is going in for warranty replacement... I hope. The switch failed in 2 years and 16,000 miles, should not be any question. I will update as this progresses. And again, thanks to all who offered assistance.
Has anyone else seen this in a 2018 and later wing?
Thanks, could be good info in the future.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The service department is really good, but I will update as to the end of the story. I spoke to the service manager twice on the phone saying I was going to get the bike running if possible, I hate to have it disabled and despise the tow truck. It comes down to my local shops story to Honda.

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
It comes down to my local shops story to Honda.
Exactly, Honda doesn't have to know anything other than the dealer replaced the switch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Exactly, Honda doesn't have to know anything other than the dealer replaced the switch.
Dropped off the Wing today, service manager was agreeing with me about my diagnosis....will see after they make their own investigation. Bear in mind, I make my living keeping a boat yard and all their heavy equipment running. This was an easy find for me except it was my baby I was doing surgery on

1 - 19 of 19 Posts