Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
26,564 Posts
I don't think it's really any different from the 18-20 models.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Huum,starting price?Amount: Starting at $ 38000

·
Administrator
26,564 Posts
Huum,starting price?Amount: Starting at $ 38000
Could be because there aren't any. The base price 2020 tour DCT is $28,500, airbag model $31,300.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
SUte take the fun out of owning one for that price,my first house in 1972 was 18 k

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,193 Posts
I just scanned through that posting:
who ever the hell wrote that thing, needs to go back to Grammar School and larn how to spull thangs right.

shsssssh, it is almost as bad as the stuff we read on Mass Media, where the reporter just types it up and posts it to the Internet without ever once Proof Reading what was written.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Heck I just looked at mine,spell check made a mess of my post above yours John

·
Registered
1 Posts
Heck I just looked at mine,spell check made a mess of my post above yours John
After reading the ad a few times, I am thinking that English is not his first language. I deal with emails all the time from different parts of the world.The way he writes and tries to explain the features sure does look a lot like what I deal with all the time. Then he does mention Kilometers per hour. The mileage is written as km/L (kilometers per liter), which is another indication. I agree it does need to be cleaned up, but I don't think this ad was intended for an American market. Just a different way of looking at things.

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
The text mentioned an engine stop/start feature activates (on the DCT model) when the bike sits still for more than 3 seconds.
Our Toyota Highlander has that...and I usually disable it. I wonder if the 'Wing gives the option of shutting it off as well?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,193 Posts
The text mentioned an engine stop/start feature activates (on the DCT model) when the bike sits still for more than 3 seconds.
Our Toyota Highlander has that...and I usually disable it. I wonder if the 'Wing gives the option of shutting it off as well?
That is extremely dangerous.
If you see an impending crash headed your way, it is usually about 2 seconds from when you get smacked.
No way, can a dead engine be fired up and pull you out of the way in that situation.

I sit my bike at an angle when stopped, front wheel pointed in the Best Path of Escape.

I have had to use the "ah crap, gotta scoot now" effort at least once that I can remember, and probably more over 50 years of riding.

I do remember one very special Escape though, heading home back to Mesa, Arizona from Globe, Arizona and had just left the hills and down onto the flatter plains but still trending down at about 3 degrees or so.... Traffic is doing 70ish and then I notice " W T F ?? THOSE CARS ARE STOPPED !!! " and I am doing 70 just like they are, only unlike the traffic folks, I was following at a full car's length for each 10 mph, so I had 7 times 25 feet to figure out what to do.

I hit the brakes hard, and got slowed down to about 25-30ish when I see the big SUV behind me has not picked up on the Stopped Traffic situation..... and that means I am in the Middle of him and the Squashed SUV in front of me....

I was in the left lane of our 2 lanes going to town, the center median is grass with one of those Wire Cable fences to prevent you from traveling over into Head On traffic...... I hit the median anyway, and got parallel to the Wire Cables just a bare few feet from them, when I hear a gawd awful noise behind me......

I stopped and looked back, but I'm on a bike, and there are 30 or more cars all stopped there, that means 911 has been called, so nothing I can do, no tools, nothing..... I stayed in the median and went home.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am seriously considering putting a 2021 GL1800BM in my garage this spring to replace my '02 VTX1800C. It has given me +100k km of trouble free riding so I am pretty much sold on the Honda line. Up here in the Canadian mountains I still have a couple of months before being back on two wheels so reading and dreaming are big right now. Having never having rode a Wing I am interested in any knowledge the membership would care to share. Good riding to all!

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
OK, at circa $29k brand new for a 2021...what would you project a used one would cost say 2 or 3 years from now?

·
Registered
7 Posts
OK, at circa $29k brand new for a 2021...what would you project a used one would cost say 2 or 3 years from now?
Interesting question. This is my WAG so feel free to call me out on my logic...
According to JD Powers (US Dollars, % are amount of New List);

Year New List Low Retail High Retail
2018 $23.8k $14.6 (61%) $19.2 (81%)....2021 in 2024
2019 $23.8k $15.2 (64%) $20.1 (84%)....2021 in 2023
2020 $23.8k $16.7 (70%) $22.3 (94%)....2021 in 2022

The 2021's are listed at $23.9k and since the price is about the same I just pushed the values out. This is for the GL1800BM that I am interested in, you could do the same research for a full blown touring model.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts