Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

So as my title says, I am 26 years old and am looking to buy a Goldwing. I have driven a 250cc HyoSung Mirage in Korea everyday for a year with my wife on the back. Now we are moving back to the States and someone wanted to bless me with selling me their 1500GL Goldwing for 1/4 the price.

Now I realize that I will be the only "young person" on the planet riding a Goldwing, and I know that I can handle the grief everyone will give, but can I handle the size of the monstrosity? I'm 6'1 and weigh about 180 lbs. I feel that I am still a begginer since I've only riden for 1 year. Am I going to die, or just look like a dufus?

thanks

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

Big warm welcome to the forum. I think that if you survived riding in Korea then you should be in good shape. Don't have experience of 1500, but there are a LOT of members here who do.:waving:

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Your going to look like a Goldwing Owner. There are a lot younger guys owning Goldwings. They are not just an Old Guys Bike. You will see. Oh, and welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
imported post

You will have no problem handling the wing. The 6'1" height gives you a noticeable advantage. The fact you are on a wing at 26 just shows you are a lot smarter than some of us that took 20+ years to go there. Take the motorcycle safety courses - they are good for all riders, experienced or not.

Welcome.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

With your size you should not have any problems if you use some common sense with it. You can't "man handle" bikes of this size. You need to make the bike do what you want by means of the brakes, motor, and the lean of the bike. Keep in mind the limited ground clearance compared to what you had been riding. These don't lean all that far before dragging parts on the asphalt.

I was 15yrs @ 5'6"and about 100lb when I got my first Gold Wing. I did fine, never putting it down. I had some experience with dirt bikes but, this was my only street bike until its replacement in '08.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
imported post

Hey, I am only 28 and I have been riding my wing for 3 years now. I am 6 foot, 210 lbs, and I can handle it just fine. Granted, mine is a little smaller and lighter than a 1500, but you should have no issue. Are you military? As everyone said, the safety courses will save your life. As far as the wife, get a few hundred miles solo before you ride two up. Just make sure your comfortable with the bike before you add the dynamic of another person moving around on the bike.

Welcome to the club!!

(oh, and the grief issue...they tend to stop bothering you when start passing crotch rockets through the twisties)

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum from OKC,OK. When will you be back to the states?

Jeff

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Thank you all for your responses. I feel much more confident and excited about this bike.

I have some newbie questions about gear...Can anyone recommend a cheap jacket that would be good for hot Texas summers? Also why motorcycle boots? Is it to look cool? Or is it because your laces are high enough up to avoid getting caught? Lastly the most vain question, can anyone recommend a full face helmet that doesn't look silly when riding a goldwing?

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
imported post

my nephew is 16yrs old and rides my 1200 wing. he may weigh in at 150lbs

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
imported post

Welcome from Massachusetts. I started my Goldwing career at 28 and never looked back. Presently have four of them in the garage. You will Love it.

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
imported post

Once you start riding your Wing you will notice that you have one thing in common with ALL Wing riders, that would be the ever present smile on your face due to riding the best bike on the planet. Since you started riding on a 250, be careful of one very important thing, when you twist the throttle on the 1500, you will find out what MOVE NOW means.
As everyone said, take a motorcycle training course and ride very cautiosly.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
imported post

Josiah wrote:
Why motorcycle boots? Is it to look cool? Or is it because your laces are high enough up to avoid getting caught? Lastly the most vain question, can anyone recommend a full face helmet that doesn't look silly when riding a goldwing?
Why motorcycle boots? As opposed to what? Flip-flops? Sneakers? The purpose for a good set of boots is so you have a solid foundation when you put your foot down to stopand because buying new boots is much easier than skin grafts to your foot should something unplanned happen (God forbid). You won't necessarily have laces. My boots zip up the inside and have no laces. But, assuming you are military, please know that for years I wore my old steel-toe jump boots on bikes. If Uncle Sam gave you a pair of boots that are still serviceable, there is no need to spend money now on a new set.

As for a helmet that "doesn't look silly," no brain bucket really looks silly that protects your gray matter adequately (unless you are thinking Flamingo Pink!).

And whatever state you return home to, take the rider's safety course. Best investment for you and your wife's safety and well-being you will ever make. Ride safe and enjoy that Wing!

P.S. - Someone will be along shortly to advise you on a jacket that will keep you safe, but not roast you alive.

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
imported post

You should have no problem handling the bike. Obviously not as light or nimble as the 250 you rode in Korea. Your wife rode with you for a year on the 250? She is going to Love the wing's seat I would think. My Wife calls it the "Queen Seat".

MSF course has been suggested, I second that. Experience or not, the course will help.

Boot, no laces on them to tangle and high to protect your ankles.

Can't help you with the helmet or the jacket but sure someone will be along shortly to help there.

:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

Welcome from your neighbor state!

You'll be hard pressed to find any better prices on jackets and gear than here. I opted for the Fieldsheer Tourmesh in the high viz yellow. If that isn't to your liking, they have a very good selection of others.

I also strongly encourage you to take the MSF safety course.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum!!!!!

As far as boots, I wear TimberlandPro with the titanium safety toe for work and have no problem with them on my GW. And get you a good comfortable fitting helmet. I personally wear a 3/4 helmet and it gets a little warm but is comfy and keeps my noggin safe.....

Oh yeah and practice, practice, practice with your bike. I took the Motorcyle Safety course before I really got going on mine and it helped tremendously, I would recommend the course.....

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
imported post

Opinions on helmets are going to vary quite a bit. I personally wear a Nolan N102 modular helmet. Full face protection, but I can open it up and get some air when in town or slow traffic. For jackets, my gear is all german made, so I cannot help you there.

Boots----this is an issue a lot on the base. Tennis shoes are great and all, but offer NO protection. Boots, of any kind, will better protect you. If you slide, or if the bike tips, it offers greater stability for your ankles. Some here ride with boots with laces, but I choose not too. I nearly killed myself on my KLR that way. A lace came undone and got wrapped around the gear shift. My foot was glued to the bike and I tumbled down the side of a hill because I could not catch myself. Now, I ride with motorcycle specific boots, waterproof, zippered, and some extra armor on the ankles.

It is all your choice, but how much is your body worth? As for your wife, her gear should be AT LEAST as good as yours, if not better.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum from a fellow OKIE... I started riding my old Wing when I was 27, and met and married my wife during that time. She loved the ride on the back of that GL. When younger friends give you grief about riding the wing, just remind them that at the end of a 400 mile day not only can you still walk, but you and the wife feel good enough to go dancing and for an evening "scenic" ride wherever you are.

As for lugging that big thing around... I can only offer anecdotal advice because mine is the 1200. But, the 1500's I have ridden offered me no problem moving them around. I will say though, having a bigger bike without a reverse gear, I am very watchfull about parking anywhere I would have to back uphill to exit.

Clint

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,633 Posts
imported post

Josiah wrote:
Thank you all for your responses. I feel much more confident and excited about this bike.

I have some newbie questions about gear...Can anyone recommend a cheap jacket that would be good for hot Texas summers? Also why motorcycle boots? Is it to look cool? Or is it because your laces are high enough up to avoid getting caught? Lastly the most vain question, can anyone recommend a full face helmet that doesn't look silly when riding a goldwing?
Get a good quality mesh ballistic jacket. Something similar to the Joe Rocket high end full ballistic armor type. A few bucks spent on one of those saved my hide when I went down..

Be sure you get mesh ballistic pants too. Saves the knees and hips. I had full gear on when I went down and slid all over the place. No a single scratch on my body. Helmet came off for some reason and I suffered a concussion. Make darn sure the helmet fits properly. Can't stress that enough.

Boots help protect your ankles when you go down. I'm not fond of lace ups. Too hard to get into. Velcro or zip ups are for me.

Full face. IMO, a necessity. I am partial though to the popup flip fronts. I get claustrophobic with a solid full face.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.