Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1985 GL1200L LTD
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day fellow Wingers. I'm a new rider (4 years) and just acquired an '85 GL1200L LTD. 44,XXX miles. PO believed the stator was bad. No time to fix or ride, so let her go. Testing and troubleshooting proved the stator was fine (80 vac all legs) but the R/R was shorted. New R/R installed and maintaining 14.5v from idle to 4k. doiung tlc and maintenance items before putting her on the road.
Myself, "jack of all, master of none"! Retired from the Navy in 1994 as a Chief Sonarman (surface) and enjoying life. Divorced in 2001.

·
Administrator
58,946 Posts
welcome to our forum....
you would be amazed at how many of the Stator equipped bikes were destroyed by folks who insisted it has a bad stator, and would not, or could not, diagnose the real problem.

·
Administrator
22,281 Posts
You'd be even more amazed at how many just chopped up their working fine bikes with poor boy kits, just because the stators had a rep.

I mostly blame Honda for not getting to the bottom of the matter and doing some kind of education campaign for the owners. The SEi and LTD actually didn't have problems because they used beefed-up stators.

Anyway, welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
63,667 Posts
Hallo CountryXJer

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

Reactions: CountryXJer
1 - 5 of 5 Posts