Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Carbs were sent back 2nd time. The bike smokes and uses gas as before.There are some gas coming from the tail pipes....But... the longer I let it idol when it warm's up real good, the problem seem's to stop and it run's much better with little smoke at all. I also notice when I use the chokethe engine surges as I adjust the choke down.Pistol Pete who is highly reconized did find some problems and corrected them. Now one other thing I haven't had them ballenced yet. Could this be some of the problem?

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
imported post

Hi

I have a quick thought. Possibly the mufflers are just burning off moisture and it's not gas ?? Could the smoke be a little oil burning off that slipped by the seals while parked ?? Just some thoughts, think of the whole bike not just the carbs. Of course sync them straight away before you start diagnosing idle or surging problems.

Good luck Tom

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Don't know if it would help your particular situation, but my 83 is quite sensitive to a good carb balance. It doesn't surge but clacks and rattles badly when it's off.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Clack and Rattle Good words The same is noticeable on mine more so when it is cold. My next test will be to get the carbs ballenced It is for certain gas, not as much as before, and like I said it appears to be gone when the bike is run for awhile. I am hoping this thing straightens itself out after a good run down the road. I am at my wit's end.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

thessler wrote:
Hi

I have a quick thought. Possibly the mufflers are just burning off moisture and it's not gas ?? Could the smoke be a little oil burning off that slipped by the seals while parked ?? Just some thoughts, think of the whole bike not just the carbs. Of course sync them straight away before you start diagnosing idle or surging problems.

Good luck Tom
My thoughts as well Tom:waving:

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

I agree with everyone on the smoke and moisture, the gas smell on start up could just be from using choke to start it. Pulling the choke out for starting causes the carbs into a rich fuel mixture to make starting easier. That is why the owners manual tells you to keep the choke closed for the least possible time. When I start my 81 as soon as the motor starts a steady run maybe a minute I raise engine speed with throttle and open choke so I'm not dumping raw gas into the engine.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thank you all. Everyday it seem's to run better. It hasen't run on the road for a while. I should be able to tag it monday, then we will find out. The only other snag I have is the battery ( a new one at that) keeps going dead, even after a good idle.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Pete is an exceptional wrench and someone I highly recommend so I think you may want to look outside your carbs if the condition continues. I will pose a few things as questions for you to think about

What exhaust are you running (stock or after market) and did you inspect that for obstructions?

Is your fuel tank clean?

Did you replace the fuel lines and filter?

Is your fuel pump stock?

Also you talk about fuel consumption is that just from time in the shop or have you actually got a MPG number to work with?

Any changes in the coolant level or contents?

Also is your oil clean and the correct color?

Definetly get the carbs balanced and if possible also do a compression test.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Wiskerfish...I do agree, I don't think Pete missed anything and He doe's stand behind his work. I did change the filter, I cleaned the tank but I did not remove it. I did see minor rust in the tank. Presently the bike only act's up once and awhile. I will be taking the bike to a mechanic sometime this week to check it out and ballence the carbs. I really haven't had the chance to run it real good. This is my first Gold Wing and it is a shame that I have had so many problems with the bike. I think it was sent upon me to teach me patience. I will take your advice.....Thank's

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

frankenpak wrote:
Thank you all. Everyday it seem's to run better. It hasen't run on the road for a while. I should be able to tag it monday, then we will find out. The only other snag I have is the battery ( a new one at that) keeps going dead, even after a good idle.
Goldwing charging systems are not known for high power output. If your bike is not a daily runner, I suggest that you leave a battery tender on it to help keep the battery topped off. I installed a cig lighter on my bike direct to the battery. I then put a male end of a cig lighter onto my battery tender so all I have to do is plug into the bike & it's charging! This eliminates having to pop off the side panels etc.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

A lot of motorcycles including the 'Wings don't charge much if at all when idling. Most of the four cylinder 'Wings need to be running around 2500-3000rpm to put out a full charge into the battery. Starting it often and idling will run the battery down pretty quickly.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thank's, I didn't know that about the battery, I sort of thought with all the extra light's that stay on as soon as the bike is running had a little to do with it. Any way it's good to know that.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

All those lights are running directly off the battery when the bike is idling or the rpms are low. The four cylinder 'Wings can run down batteries in traffic on a hot day of stop and go driving, the lights and the fan coming on increases the load on the battery. In those cases all you can do is to manually hold the idle up a bit with the thottle during the stopped moments.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

Fuel in exhaust = carb leaking. Thats raw fuel being dumped *through) the cylinder and the disaster at the other end of the tunnel is a seized piston/broken ring.

drain the carb bowls into a graduated container, shoudl be 36 - 42 cc if memory serves.

No, thats not carb balance. If theyve been apart, especially if the linkage was removed, gauge the plates with a dril bit to get a rough setting. Theres no balancing those carbs on an engine drowning in fuel.

Sometimes memory does not serve.... : (

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

I got her tagged and down the road I went. I had one occasion at a stop when she began to idol rough and smoke, but as soon as I took off she smoothed out and ran fine the next thirty miles. It appears to me that somethings going on only occasionally. When she run's, she run's strong and smoothe. I am going to keep testing her out on the road to see if it continues to do it. So far what I do when she acts up is to turn her off for about three minutes, then it's fine. Something is sticking causing the gas to flood into the exaust. It is no whear nearas bad as the first time I had the problem. My thoughts is that some dirt from the tank is getting back into the carbs. Altho I cleaned and flushed the tank and added a new filter, that process may not of been good enough. If it don't work itself out then it's back to the drawing board.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.