19,237 Posts
imported post

looks cool.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

I don't like it myself.

A diesel bike would be cool to have though.

Was that really the exhaust I saw coming out IN FRONT of the rider? Just where I want my diesel exhaust when stuck in rush hour traffic on a hot summer trip, right under my nose LOL
Besides breathing all the fumes I bet you smell real nice after a 200 mile ride. Well at least that one pants leg should.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

Now that would be a nice dual sport to have!

Dubs

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
imported post

The answer to a question nobody asked. Gas bikes already get fantastic mileage and make plenty of horsepower and torque. Why put up with the negatives of a diesel?

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

Lower revs, longer life, ridiculous torque, and you can "brew up" your own fuel, if you're ambitious. I was interested until I saw that they are all automatics . . .

Boo.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Looks great to me, I even like the automatic tranny. The greater fuel economy and high torque of diesel engines are very attractive. They could relocate that exhaust pipe though.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

I like it! i have a Dodge with the Cummins engine and totally love diesel!

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

I had a quick scan through the spec and if I read it right, it suggested a fuel consumption of 1 ltr to 28 kms on road, which is absolutely dreadful for a motorcycle this size and use. "Desert consumption" was even worse.
I was thinking it sounded all right until I read that bit.
:sadguy:

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
I had a quick scan through the spec and if I read it right, it suggested a fuel consumption of 1 ltr to 28 kms on road, which is absolutely dreadful for a motorcycle this size and use. "Desert consumption" was even worse.
Isn't that about 100mpg? Not a lot wrong with that.
I would want to hear how noisy that diesel engine is before making my mind up.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Wilson02 wrote:
Silverfox wrote:
Isn't that about 100mpg? Not a lot wrong with that.
I would want to hear how noisy that diesel engine is before making my mind up.
my bad, I was wondering if I might be getting my kms and miles mixed up, so yes, 100 mpg is great!!

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
imported post

Pete are you taking your meds ?????

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

SHREK snr wrote:

Nope Colin, haven't had to take any pain relief since the night I came out of hospital. Maybe it is some different meds I need. :ROFL::ROFL:

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
SHREK snr wrote:

Nope Colin, haven't had to take any pain relief since the night I came out of hospital. Maybe it is some different meds I need. :ROFL::ROFL:
No sense...no feeling! :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Being a diesel freak myself, I find this cool and innovative.
The wheels could be cast.

Ned

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

At the risk of making myself look like a fool here (not hard to do), I did the math. The way I thought it should be done and came up with just under 66 mpg. So then, not trusting myself, I did a Google search for the right way to do the math.

http://mulps.wordpress.com/2009/04/14/how-to-convert-kml-to-mpg/

So I did it this way, and came up with 65.856 mpg. Unless I'm missing something here, I'm not impressed with that mileage for a diesel. Please tell me I'm missing something....:?

Doug

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Hey Outlaw, I will join you in trying to do the maths....
1 imperial gallon = 4.54609 ltrs.
so multiplying the 4.5 by the 28kms that they suggest that a litre will do gives us about 126kms for a gallon.
1km = approx .62 miles.
So now multiply the .62 by those 126kms, which gives approximately 76.92 miles per gallon.
Not a bad return in general, way better than a Wing of course, but not in the same league of bike.
this could appeal to some riders and should not be dismissed as a waste of time, IMHO
:waving:

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts
imported post

I calculated about 74 miles per US gallon. I does look good and seems like a good idea but, compared to a KLR650 it does have more horsepower and twice the torque and also costs 3 times as much. The KLR gives about 50 mpg and with the price of diesel being a good bit higher than gasoline it comes pretty close to a wash, that 12 grand savings would buy a second KLR and a lot of gas and accessories. Unless I were loaded and had nothing better to spend the money on I believe I would stick to the old gasser dual sport.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

I'm not sure how you are getting your numbers, but I went back to triple check at this website:

http://tdiclub.com/misc/conversions.html

And this is what I got.

At any rate, I'm not saying it doesn't get good mileage, just that I would expect better from a diesel motorcycle. We have diesel cars that get 50 or better....

Doug

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts
imported post

Yes I did miscalculate.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.