Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming back home from Illinois Saturday I noticed that my temperature gauge, fuel, gauge, running lights, and probably a few other items weren`t working. Hoped it was just a fuse, but a new one didn`t cure the problem. (Start out with the cheapest cures first.) Searched the forum here and found out most of the problems were with # 3 relay. Took it out as suggested and put it back in. Still no luck. tmdriverwannabe suggested swapping the air compressor relay with the tail (main) # 3 relay. When I did all was working now. Great. Seems like Auto Zone sells a Pilot PLRY1
relay for $9 or there abouts. Honda dealer wants $30.00. No Auto Zone here. I have O`Reilly, Advance, and Carquest. Anyone know where I might try for an aftermarket relay.

:praying:
gumbyred
1998 S.E.

·
Administrator
27,889 Posts
Those are pretty standard relays, try cross referencing these part #s for an early 90s accord.
39792-SM4-004 or
39792-SL4-003

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
...Pilot PLRY1...relay for $9 or there abouts. Honda dealer wants $30.00... Anyone know where I might try for an aftermarket relay.
Amazon has them for $6.99

Also, I'd highly recommend that you replace ALL the relays in the box at this time, so as to avoid future such problems... Note that you can even replace the 20amp relays with these 30amp ones.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
If you find that #3 blows frequently, check the wiring behind the relay box. Mine where melting down because the connectors worked loose. I was close to having a 2 wheeled BBQ. Using some Dielectric grees will help them last.

Ride Safe,
Rich

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not really a frequent problem to have these relays go out on me. First one I have had to replace in the 350,000 miles I have ridden the 1500s. I bought one at tthe Honda dealership today. $32.00, but the Honda Accord ones were over $40.00. I want the bike back on the road A.S.A.P. I will order one of the Pilot ones to have as an extra.
Thanks everyone.

gumbyred

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
You can order those in from autozone too, or like Alex mentioned online, the pilot relays work well....

·
Registered
239 Posts
Our shop just had a GL1500 with #3 relay bad. Wiring looked good.
My opinion would be stay with Honda. This one lasted over 140,000 miles before it went out. I also know that electrical parts are never 100% good ALL the time.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it a good idea to repl;ace a 20 amp relay with a 30 amp relay? I realize they are still protected with the 20 amp fuse. I take it the Pilot relays have held up well for several members here. Are they a direct plug in with no modifications? Kind of a hastle to get to if they don`t last.
gumbyred

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
Is it a good idea to repl;ace a 20 amp relay with a 30 amp relay? I realize they are still protected with the 20 amp fuse. I take it the Pilot relays have held up well for several members here. Are they a direct plug in with no modifications? Kind of a hastle to get to if they don`t last.
gumbyred

I replaced our honda 20 amp with a pilot 30 amp in july 2011, While i was doing winter maintenance this yr i pulled out that relay and checked it and behind it for bad connections , heat damage or corroded connectors, none of those were evident after almost 2 yrs and over 25k for miles since it was put in. You do have to trim the tabs on the pilot relay to be able to fit the relay cover back on, but it is not difficult and easy to do....

·
Registered
239 Posts
My opinion on 30 amp relay vs 20amp. Like been said. You still have a 20 amp fuse intact. It would not pull more than 20 amp. The relay may last longer because it is rated for a higher load.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.