Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok I will do the three yellow wire splice tomorrow. May as well go from the stator side of the plug right through to the regulator side of the second plug. Was that 12 gauge wire I should use?

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
imported post

12 gauge should be plenty.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thank You

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

The splice job is done. Now to the right of the battery, I guess thatsthe solinoid that sits in the rubber cup? what about the black box with a 7 pin connector is that where the dog bone fuse is?

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

The dog bone is just under/in front the solenoid..the plastic "door" of the case folds down

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks RB i will take another look. Still dont know what that black box in behind the solinoid is. Its about 1" x 1.5" x 3/4" thick, and is connected with a seven pin connector.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

check ur dogbone fuse if it looks overheated replace it with an inline fuse holder. it is also a weak point of the charging system :)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You'll get a neater splice if you use the same size wire as that you're replacing. Since the wire in the stator and up to the point you splice in limits the current flow anyway it would be better to continue with that size. Also that way any heat that may be generated will be dissapated along the whole length of the wire not concentrated in one spot.

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
imported post

I used either 12 or 14 for my splice, I also used Heat shrink Butt connectors, seemed to work good and will help make sure that the water stays out. I also would suggest replacing the dog bone fuse, with a 30amp blade. I used a holder with the rubber cover on it.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,485 Posts
imported post

I used 12ga wire on mine with heat shrink tubing for insulation. Also I cut the entire regulator connector out and soldered all the wiring there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.