Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

ok so i have heard people telling others to disconect these wires and solder them together ,well not together but one to each other,can some one tell me why i should do this and is it really a must.i have other things to do but its kind of cold out side to do other stuff but this i can handle with out rolling around on the ground.:)

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
imported post

Good question. The three wires have a connector just foward of the battery. Due to its location, this connector is subject to corrosion which increases the resistance, eventually causing it to fail. The purpose of the connector is only to facilitate assembly on the production line. The easiest fix is to clean the connector very well and seal it. Next best is to remove the connector all together and solder the wires, also sealing very well (heat shink tubing is prefered). Ultimate solution is to remove the entire harness and upgrade to heavier guage wire, soldered in place. The harness can be made or bought as an assembly.

Failure of the connector/harness will lead to premature failure of the charging system requiring replacement of the stator or installation ofan aftemarket alternator, aka POORBOY.

This along with new timing belts are the two cost cost effective maintenance actions on any GL1200 as the results of a failure are very expensive.

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
imported post

The connectors get old and corroded and start to get hot and melt the connector and eventually loose contact so you loose your charging system. If the terminals are good and clean and tight there won't be a problem but keep an eye on it for signs of burning.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
imported post

Hi ridgid11, this is very necessary as they (the connector) burns out,short circuits and damages your stator, then you have an "engine out" scenario, and you don't want that..!! There are several other worthwhile things well worth doing while your at it, to help prevent "typical" 1200 electrical issues, all documented somewhere on this fabulous site, one of the gurus can probably point you at the link for these....well worth doing...installing a voltmeter is a good thing too.
Cheers.....

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

due to previous posts all answering post correctly...removed

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

If your going to cut out the connector next to the battery and solder the wires, keep going and remove the connector up by the Regulator as well. I removed the bottom connector and 300 miles later the top one burned out. Do them all and get it over with.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

well it looks like im going to do some soldering ,can i add wire cause it doesnt look like after i cut them they will not be long enough.and i didnt see any other connector but i will again.thanks guys

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
imported post

mine was melted to the fuel tank and blew the dog bone fuse.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

holly macaroni i better fix mine before i get out on it

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
imported post

do lower and upper connectors.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

never hurts to remove the solenoid connector and upgrade the dogbones to ato fuseholders too

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

i have looked for this dogbone fuse where is it and the upper connectors,i only 2 and the are together on the right top side of the gas tank ,are they they ones to cut and solder

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

ridgid11 wrote:
i have looked for this dogbone fuse where is it and the upper connectors,i only 2 and the are together on the right top side of the gas tank ,are they they ones to cut and solder
The dogbone fuse is near the starter relay, to the right of the battery.

Mine gave me problems a few years ago, and a paperclip got me home.

Here's a snappy of that:

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
imported post

i actually have two next to each other, i had a hard time finding any so when i did i bought all they had at 1.00 each because at the time i didn't know why they blew and PO said they had blown before.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

thanks guys i love the pics it help find ex what im looking for ,everybody must ahve a good imagination, cause i still dont see a dog bone in there.lol

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

k i looked again for the dog bone fuse but the po must have changed that ill getpics soon to show you hat i have on there ,the three yelow wires well if nobdy toled me about it would be a break down ,likeyou guys said they erestating to go (melting) i was going to cut them and startorking but my feetgot cold....come on spring.thanks again guys

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

it aso looks ike some of my etters on the keybord dont work ,another job

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

ok well i found the dog bone fuse it has a cover over it ,thats wahy it didnt look like yours .lol so when i opened it there it was dog bone fuse ,it was still good and it even had a spot for 2 spare fuses and there is is ,one more thing i found out .yesterday i soldered the 3 yellow wires hope i did a good enough,but if not ill do again but at least i know what to look for .thanks a lot everyone .

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
imported post

i always read about the dog bone fuse next to the battery, am i the only one that has two? they are close to each other next to battery, no i haven't yet chased them out to see where they go.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.