Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
imported post

well still to cold out side to do anything on the bike but i was just woundering about the 3 yellow wires that go all the way to the Regulator Rectifier ,should i cut those to and solder them together,so there is no conection from the stator right to the Regulator Rectifier ,and to just make sure if i do this is there any other yellow wire that i might cut that is wrong?

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
imported post

the three yellow wires are run close together from stator to the reg/rect so just follow them up and cut out the connecters, (one lower, two upper), and solder a splice where the connecters were.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

aspy's and interstate's only have one stator connector near the battery and one connector at the regulator

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
imported post

Go to a Napa dealer and buy dual wall heat shrink=thicker the better.

Better yet, I'll send you 2 4" long pieces in a envelope.

Pm me with adde.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
imported post

k the conector at the regulater/rec is a big one with a bunch of wires (right)and i cut the 3 yellow wires off of that (right)or wrong.its hard to follow the wires unless i cut off all the tape that is on it .

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

easiest to follow the wires as they come out of the regulator and just marry them each up with the wire that is opposite each one on the connector...

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
imported post

i looked into that kind of wiring but it cost 20 dollars just to get it here does anybody know if there is someone in canada that sells somthing like that or is a wast of time

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
imported post

I sent an 84 1200 flange gear into canada for $13. Whom told you $20 shipping_EC ?

Here's the 1200 wiring harness I bought from EC for $50.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,712 Posts
imported post

In 1997 I replaced my connector while I was replacing my stator, I used a new plug kit from Honda and kept the plug feature, but before I did .... I pulled each terminal and wire from the connector housing and soldered the crimp where the terminal (male or female) holds the wire. Packed connectyor with dielectric grease, wrapped in tape, look at it once a year, it's never shown signs of further overheating.

I did solder the three yellow wires to their mates up at the Reg/Rectifier plug, eliminating that connector. The yellow wires I used to make that run were copper, the wires out of the Reg/Rectifier were steel. I spliced, slid some short pieces of brass tubing down on the yellow wires along with heat shrink. I twist spliced the steel to copper really well and then slid the brass tubes in place, applied a crimp, and then heat and solder, then the heat shrink.

Not to say eliminating the connecter at the battery's left isn't a good plan also, but to do so do mean cutting wires loose to test a stator in the future, then resoldering later.

May someday look at something different, but I think I am going to go ahead and do my external alternator mod when we get those new pulleys.

I'll leave stock stator and Reg/Rectifier on board as "back up".

I also updated the plug at the starter solinoid with Honda's kit and I eliminated the flat crack prone dogbone fuse by using a 30 amp rated tube type fuse holder and 30 amp tube fuse and two ring terminals, soldering the 12 gage wires at each crimp (4).

The factory dog bone fusesecures with two screws to a plastic holder subject to heat and cooling and being of a different expansion properties, over times the dog bone fuse stress cracks. It doesn't often burn, it cracks. When cool and plastic contracted, it makes contact. When hot, it opens up. In between as contact is made, it's like a small welder as an arc forms momentarily and may look like a blown fuse when it isn't.

Below is a pair of pics I took just about 20 minutes ago, went and cut the tape, unwrapped, and slipped it apart and this is a 14 year old stator connection .... brass connectors still bright. The black on the outside is residue from 3M Super 33 tape. Note blue band too.

:waving:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
imported post

All 1200 stators replaced by Honda dealers come with a lifetime warranty. They denoted a replaced stator with a white band on end of harness.

Yours have this or did you change it out yourself ?

PS! Many Jap bikes back then had stator problems, not just the Wing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,712 Posts
imported post

CWN wrote:
All 1200 stators replaced by Honda dealers come with a lifetime warranty. They denoted a replaced stator with a white band on end of harness.

Yours have this or did you change it out yourself ?
No, it's a "Blue Band" on mine on the end of the tuibe Honda installedaround the three wires exiting the rubber grommet ..... and yes, mine is a lifetime warrantied Honda stator. In my case, it's my labor that isnot warrantied .... but the stator and parts is.

:waving:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

personally hardwiring the stator connector out of the circuit is just eliminating one problem area,the regulator connector is the second and the solenoid connector/ato fuseholder fix is a third problem area,numerous people still have the stock arrangement and never had a problem,others not so lucky,its just curing a problem that might develop 500 miles from home at the worst time if you dont
ltd/sei's have more problems in these areas due to having a larger stator and hence more current flow thru the same sized wires

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
imported post

CWN wrote:
I sent an 84 1200 flange gear into canada for $13. Whom told you $20 shipping_EC ?

Here's the 1200 wiring harness I bought from EC for $50.
i went on his web site and that what it says $20 dollars to Canada.

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
imported post

Mines brand new with instructions. Let me see how much to ship it to you and you check their site to post another one to calif ?

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
imported post

went out today to play on the bike and found that the stator wires have a blue end on it ,i hope that is good news for me and the po had honda put a new one on :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
imported post

I think the warranty is to the original purchaser of the new stator, if I read the warranty right. You might have a problem getting Honda to replace it if you were not the one who had the newstator installed. When the original purchaser of the replacement stator sells the motorcycle then that lets Honda off the hook for the warranty.... at least that is the way I see it. Hope I'm wrong.

·
Honda Guru
2,050 Posts
imported post

Larry…
you're not wrong. That is exactly how the Honda warranty is set up. If the 1200 has the stator replaced under the warranty, and the PO sells the bike, the warranty is not transferrable to the new owner. I had to deal with these a lot when I was a Service Manager at a Honda dealer.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
imported post

well mine is good still. i 3was just hoping that since they say life time, that it will last a good while .

·
Premium Member
3,712 Posts
imported post

ridgid11 wrote:
well mine is good still. i 3was just hoping that since they say life time, that it will last a good while .
And it may well do that. To see the blue band (and there may be other colors like white that denote same), look up at my pictures of my connector, you can see the blue band. If it weren't for the warranty, I would have run the wires solid by splicing them. If I were you, and had theupdated stator and no reciept or warranty, I'ld cut the connector out as well.

I have my reciepts though. ;)

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.