Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Can anyone tell me if I put an exterior alternator on where do the 3 yellow wiers go that come off the stator. and if I get the poorboy convertion kit, will that explain where they go on the alternator? Thanks again, Skip

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
imported post

you would just do away with the wires if you go external.
not connected anywhere. The alternator will go directly to the battery as it has built in regulators.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

If the stock setup is still working and you still want the external alternator just unplug the regulator. That way if the external fails you can plug the regulator back in to get home.
The regulator is under the the tool tray in your false tank left side.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

It shouldn't damage the stator as long as the ends of the stator wires are not touching anything, as there is no current. But an external alternator is not likely to fail, not nearly as likely as the original stator. I can't wait until I have an external alternator. Goldwings should have come with one of those from the very beginning

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:
It shouldn't damage the stator as long as the ends of the stator wires are not touching anything, as there is no current. But an external alternator is not likely to fail, not nearly as likely as the original stator. I can't wait until I have an external alternator. Goldwings should have come with one of those from the very beginning
Hey Jerry..I am planning the Poor Boy conversion this winter maybe we could link up and get it done at the same time.:waving:

·
Premium Member
3,702 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:
Nothing at all wrong with the stator / permanent magnet in rotor alternator as long as it's sized right and wire is insulated properly.

Only problem with the 1200s was the space was pretty much kept the same as in 1000 and 1100 and people demanding greater output which meant more windings on the stator which meant because of limited space, insufficient wire size leading to excessive heat not cooled adequately by oil leading to a break down of the insulating coating on the wire itself.

Had Honda engineers and bean counters figured a way to get along and used the larger rear cover they found they had to use on the Ltd and SEi Fueliie models on all 1200s and increased wire diameter on the stator then it's very likely they would have been bullet proof.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.