Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My bike is on its centerstand and has been for a month or more due to a front end rebuild. (complete) I decided to start bike and run it for awhile. While it was running I was checking things out when I ran my fingers over the three yellow wires that I thought the PO had redone. The heat shrink was melted through and I notice a brass barrel connecter and was getting very hot. Has anyone done this and my thoughts are that the brass is conducting more heat than if they were soldered like I thought had already been done.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

It could likely be a "cold" solder whearas the PO didn't get the components hot enough for the solder to flow into and onto them. The joint then oxidizes and resistance goes up, causing heating. He could of also used the wrong type of solder on an electrical connection, such as acid core solder. Cut out the splice, strip back the wires until you see no corrosion, slip your heat shrink onto one of the wires, insert the new barrel splice(I just twisted the two clean wires together) heat them up until the solder will flow into them. Don't start the solder melting by touchingyour iron. Use light gauge rosin core solder. When you have a good connection, slip the heat shring onto the splice and use a hot air gun or a lighter if you have to(open fire around the area isn't a great idea).

Good luck,

Hobie

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Im not keen on using crimp connectors on a heavy use wire because it adds resistance. Like hobie said, its better to twist the wires together with an electricians knot. top wire coming down and wrapping in a spiral around the other wire and at the same time, the lower wire facing upwards will wrap around the top wire which isfacing down. it would look like 2 cork screws with the points facing each other and wrapping around each other. This gives the best contact & least resistance. Than sodder, Than heat shrink.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

These arent crimp connectors,they are brass tubes with set screws in them. I tried putting a pic link on but didnt seem to work

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
imported post

Craig

Sounds like you have the time while the bikes laid up. I would yank those connectors and just solder the wires, that way you know it's right. On my bike the three yellow wires going to the regulator burnt be sure to check them as well.

Good luck Tom

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I pulled all the plugs on regulator and they are in good shape,no burning or corrosion. Dont know if the wires are long enough so may have to put longer pc. in

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

It's OK to add wire for length. When you do, make sure that the added wire is at least the same guage or thickness! you can go larger but not smaller.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
imported post

quick question , if you have to cut and solder, the three yellow wires how do you know which is which? d.k.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

It doesn't make any difference. There is no special order.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

I did mine one at a time, but reading other's post, I don't think it matters.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Ya, It's wierd but these 3 wires dont care which is which as long as 3 are connected to 3.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
imported post

The stator is just a small 3 phase AC generator. It all gets sorted out in the rectifier.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

I have to agree with mikef on this one. It does not make any difference. TThats the very first thing I done on my Wing when I first got it, was to remove the connectors, splice and solder the wires.

Nightrider1

mikef wrote:

It doesn't make any difference. There is no special order.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

I agree with everything already said. Cut out those connectors and clean the wires then twist them together and solder them. Make sure the gun you use is strong enough to melt solder all the way around the wire at one time or you could risk a cold joint that will create resistance and build heat. Make sure they are securely wrapped so they can not contact each other or the frame. After you're next good run let the bike idle while you pull the side cover and check your new connections for heat. They might be a little warm but never hot.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

And I agree with everyone who posted and everyone who referenced other poster's postings. ;)

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
imported post

THANK'S i took out the connector's last year, but now i'm installing a new motor, glad to hear it doesn't make any difference. that would have been an issue.
my only problem now is to make sure i connect the netural switch to the proper wire, mine is standard the newer motor
had digital dash. netural switch is in different place
with 6 wires going to a connector, mine just had the one wire going direct.....
d.k.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

drking wrote:
that's good new's lol
The word 'news' is a contraction of North, East, West and South, signifying that information arrives from all points of the compass. It is not needing an apostrophe.

I'll go back to torturing some other soul now.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.