Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey Paul:waving: Good to have you back on the forum. I just want to say KUDOS to you and your brother for making the long trip you just made, I may not be exactly right on the miles or the days but anyway I am very impressed. My longest run in one stretch has been a little under 600 miles. I am not sure I could make it as far as you did even in a Motorhome......:stumped:

So how did your brothers BMW compare on the journey ?

How many miles have the rest of you guys gone on one trip?

I feel like a wimp now...:whip: I think Paul just wanted to show us up....:DCongratulationsMission accomplished.

:12red::cool:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

dean_3326 wrote:
How many miles have the rest of you guys gone on one trip?
35 miles on my Honda 50 :clapper:and no stops.

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
imported post

you tell them redwing

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

Paul, nothing like it, is there. I'm sure you and the Bro had a blast!!! Glad you're home without too many misadventures.

I've done approximately 81,000klm which are strictly trips. You will find when you are touring you will put in an 18hour day and do 1200klm or you'll put in an 18 hour day and put on 500klm. It all depends on what you want to stop and see. Being from the Prairies, my first day is usually huge. A well travelled example is Winnipeg Manitoba to Calgary Alberta 1,326klm or 800 miles. Other trip samples are:

Last summer Winnipeg to Cocoa Beach Florida

Day 1 Winnipeg to Eau Claire Wis. - 886klm

Day 2 Eau Claire to Mt.Vernon Ill - 906klm

Day 3 Mt.Vernon to Chatanooga Ten. 587klm

Day 4 Chatanooga to Cocoa Beach 949klm = 3,328klm or 1,997 miles

Heading home from Whitehorse Yukon to Winnipeg Manitoba

Day1 Whitehorse to Fort Nelson - 1002klm

Day 2 Ft.Nelson to Vermillion Alberta - 1,197klm

Day 3 Vermillion to Winnipeg - 1,116klm = 3,315klm or 1,989 miles

Middle of a trip run from Grand Canyon to Arlington Texas

Day 1 Canyon to Glenwood NM - 842klm

Day 2 Glenwood to Arlington - 1,349klm = 2,191klm or 1,315 miles

And you guessed it....What's her name has travelled every inch of every hour on the back of that bike with me.

Kyle

Just as you get the tent set up...it's time to tear it down and get on the road again.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

did 2400 mi trip from indpls,in to austin,tx & back on 650 yamaha cruiser. Leaving friday on 1200I 84 wing to do same trip but with side trips to poplar bluff,mo-little rock,ar-,shreveport,la- arlington,tx-and san marcos,tx-then back home to arcadia,indiana. around 3500 miles total. Should be fun although possibly wet time. Will let youall know how it turns out-phil

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Sheesh! I don't even want to put my little 385 mile trip down on this thread! And it took me 9 hours to do that. Of course we did stop a lot and take advantage of the cool air!

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

Atlanta, Georgia > New Castle, Penn. 751 miles in a little over 12 hours. Too many gas stops on the 5.8 gallon tank... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
imported post

Right before easter this year.. i had just got my 1981 goldwing interstate.. took off on a trip from nebraska to new albany miss.. for a group get together... left here on a monday.. took 3 days going down enjoyed the cold trip.. lol... first day.. about 5 hours. 2nd day about 8 hours.. 3rd day rest of the way in... ride home a bit different.. first day.. 694 miles.. about 12 hours.. rode with a buddy that had a small tank.. gas stop ever 100 miles or so.. took time... then rest of the way home the next day.. round trip with group ride and other riding down there.. 2300 miles... cant wait for the next long one.... oh yea couple of weeks ago.. york nebraska to conesville iowa.. 400 miles each way for a rally.. great time..

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Stormintba,

You say you went to the Conesville rally? What'd you think of the the little breeze on Saturday? My wife and I went on a poker run in western Illinois just south of Moline/Davenport. We encountered 55 deg temps accentuated by 30-50 mph gusts. It was an exercise in staying in control to say the least. We only went about 130 miles that afternoon but it felt like 500 by the time we got home.

I once rode my Yamaha 750-2D to Denver from my hometown of Alexis in one day(900 miles), and then down to Alamagordo N.M (Holoman AFB) the next day for about 1400 miles. Then a few days later, from Ala. to Joplin MO. in one day, then on back to Alexis the next day. I couldn't do that in a Lexus now:D.

Regards,

Hobie

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
imported post

hobie.... lol i didnt ride at all saturday.. just sat around watched the sites.. and drank a few with my buddies that was there...... it was really nice there early saturday.. by 10 am was running around in a sleeveless shirt.. by noon.. had the leather coat on was windy and chilly.. lol...but all in all was a great time and a great rally.. heading home on sunday was cold.. about 40 when i left there.. lol yep took awhile to thaw out when i got back home but would do er again.. great time...

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

done a good trip last year, carlisle to barcelona, then up to andorra, through the pyranees and down to st tropez, on along the south coast to nice and then into northern italy (san remo). from there we went up through milaninto switzerland to a place called andermatt which had some fabulous high passes round about it,(furkapass, oberalppass and the sustenpass, i would go back there tomorrow.! ) from there we headed up into germany heading north and calling into luxumberg,belgium and on to amsterdam for the boat home from the netherlands.

altogether a round trip of 3000 mile in 14 days, and the scenery was to die for.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey twodogs :waving:That looks like a great trip you had. :clapper:Well done. :jumper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Kudo's to all you guys who have earned your Iron Butt. It's not easy..

My longest trip was to Atlanta GA--- 1100 miles one way on my own. I took the other half to York PA once, (just over 500 miles), and that turned out to be the last time she went on a long ride with me.

Redwing!!!! I'm down & dirty impressed with your trip... I'm humbled at your feet!!:)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'm pretty much a whuss when it comes to daily mileage. I found I like around 400 miles per day for a nice easy ride. That gives time to stop and smell the roses, skunks and feedlots. Usually don't go more than more than 100 miles at a time before I'm ready for a stretch. The longest I've gone between fill ups was 246 miles. A town on the map we were using turned out to have only one gas station that had closed down a year or so prior to our arrival. Since my gauge was reading nearly E, I dropped my cruise from 70mph to 50mph and sweated out the 81 miles to the next town with the low fuel light on for nearly half the run. Took 5.7 gallons so there was .6 gallons left. Maybe another 25 miles. Sure hate to run that low.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
imported post

You guys are all nuts. The beauty of riding is stopping and smelling the roses. I spent many years driving incredibly long distances in order to get someplace a day earlier. Once I got there, I was wasted. Life is too short to rush through it and not enjoy the trip. The amount of energy you are wasting racing from place to place can be used to enjoy life before it has passed you all by. Slow down and savour the moment!

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

Dean I tend to agree with you, but in the rare case that I have somewhere to be for a period of time, and the cost of flying is prohibitive, I'll take the bike. If I have a weeks vacation to spend in Virginia, I justdon't have the time to spend four days traveling.

Some day I'd like to be able to tour and spend a lot more of my travel time on secondary roads. Harry Chapin said it best in his song "GREYHOUND" --- It's got to be the going, not the gettin' there; that's good. Shooter

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Renegade wrote:
Kudo's to all you guys who have earned your Iron Butt. It's not easy..

Redwing!!!! I'm down & dirty impressed with your trip... I'm humbled at your feet!!:)
Hey Renegade :waving:Thanks a bunch. It wasn't easy. :crying:

:skipping::18red::skipping:

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
imported post

Shooter:

One of the nicest nights my wife and I had was a year ago on May 22nd when we saw the Chapin family in New Jersey at Raritan College. I suggest that anybody who loved Harry's music check out Tom Chapin's website and find out when the next Harry Chapin Tribute concert is being done. You won't be disapointed. Harry's dad Jim performs brilliantly on drums at the age of about 87.

It is truly a family event that you will love and you will get to see the original band (featuring Big John Wallace) in the flesh sounding better than ever. Like I said, check out the Tom Chapin website for details.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.